5 available free agents who make sense for the Cardinals

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RB? I think we’ve got 3 guys who can be one of the better trios in the NFL & that includes Eno.

Griffin? I could see it but whom does he replace on the rebuilt vastly improved Dline? Plus he makes lots of ca$h

Gotsis-See above

Curry-same as above. Does he have gas in the tank?

Bethea-great dude & great underrated leader. I wish we would’ve resigned him last season. We have lots of young safeties so it’s a numbers game. If I were signing any of these guys it’s this veteran.

I think our roster is complete for the most part, except for injuries & possibly CV19 situations. Also we don’t have much cap space if I’m correct? It highly impacts veteran signings as of right now

They would replace Zach Allen / Jonathan Bullard. Neither one of those guys is starter quality if we go off last years play.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The question I would have is what impact would this have on getting compensatory picks. I’d rather have more draft picks for younger players than average veteran role players (aside from Griffin).

But I don’t know how all that really works.
I think it doesn't affect the comp picks if they are signed after a certain date. And I think that date has long passed.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question I would have is what impact would this have on getting compensatory picks. I’d rather have more draft picks for younger players than average veteran role players (aside from Griffin).

But I don’t know how all that really works.

After a certain time frame so they don't count for the compensatory picks anymore. I think anyone after July 1st doesn't count

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
A veteran backup is what Bethea would be. I am sorry if that was unclear.

Freeman has more to offer than DJ Foster. Eno Benjamin was a 7th rounder. A "shot" Devonta Freeman is still better and complements Chase Edmonds very well if Drake were to get injured.

I don't think Freeman is willing to accept 3rd down option back, yet. That's why he changed agents to DR, to get someone more aggressive at getting him signed to a bigger role deal. If he was ready to be a backup, he'd already be signed by someone.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You missed Markus Golden

He has a $4.3m tender from the Giants he doesn't want to sign. Nobody else has come in for him. You just have to pay him more than $4.3m.

We have only $3.5m in cap space so we ain't signing anyone major (or probably anyone else at all) but if we're talking fantasy then Golden should be on the list.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You missed Markus Golden

He has a $4.3m tender from the Giants he doesn't want to sign. Nobody else has come in for him. You just have to pay him more than $4.3m.

We have only $3.5m in cap space so we ain't signing anyone major (or probably anyone else at all) but if we're talking fantasy then Golden should be on the list.
Nope. Unlike Bethea and Freeman, I don't think Golden or the Cardinals could agree on a role for him. I don't know that he brings a significant pass rush upgrade over Kennard and I don't believe he is skilled enough pass rusher to take on a Dwight Freeney role so the Cardinals would likely view him as a rotational player. Where that becomes an issue is that Golden still wants a big contract and he is going to look for teams who will give him a 90% snap role to showcase his abilities.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think Freeman is willing to accept 3rd down option back, yet. That's why he changed agents to DR, to get someone more aggressive at getting him signed to a bigger role deal. If he was ready to be a backup, he'd already be signed by someone.
While you may be correct, reality is going to set in soon. RBs do not get paid. And vet RBs who are believed to be washed really don't get paid. What is attractive about AZ is that we are perceived to have a dynamic offense that will get stats for players. Players who are looking at short-term or 1 year options to build their value are likely to have AZ on their short lists because of the perception.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. Unlike Bethea and Freeman, I don't think Golden or the Cardinals could agree on a role for him. I don't know that he brings a significant pass rush upgrade over Kennard and I don't believe he is skilled enough pass rusher to take on a Dwight Freeney role so the Cardinals would likely view him as a rotational player. Where that becomes an issue is that Golden still wants a big contract and he is going to look for teams who will give him a 90% snap role to showcase his abilities.

Not sure about that. Golden has 5.5 more sacks than Kennard in 4 active seasons vs DKs 6.

Kennard is better in space and at stopping the run. But Golden is a much greater sack risk.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not sure about that. Golden has 5.5 more sacks than Kennard in 4 active seasons vs DKs 6.

Kennard is better in space and at stopping the run. But Golden is a much greater sack risk.
Again. I'm not saying he might not be an upgrade, but I don't see us benching Kennard for Golden and I don't see Golden taking a 55-60% snap role. The role and player have to match for a guy who is looking to get paid the following offseason to take a one year deal.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You missed Markus Golden

Why? We didn't sign Kennard for no reason, and I'm not so sure he isn't just as good as Golden at this point.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Golden is a very slow pass rusher with below average quickness, he is a tenacious player with good motor but is not a type of pass rusher I like

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think the Kennard signing was great. Multiple people setting the edge and occupying blockers for Hicks, Isaiah, and Campbell. Should make for a ton of blitz options and misdirection.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I agree, Golden is a hustle power rusher and does not have the technique to still produce later

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

·
6m

This is interesting: As long-time #Vikings DE and current free agent Everson Griffen narrows down his choices, the rival #Packers are among the teams to express interest. That interest is mutual. Minnesota coach Mike Zimmer had recently said he wants Griffen back, as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard