5 available free agents who make sense for the Cardinals

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1 - Devonta Freeman - RB
He is a veteran who can do multiple things well in an offense. He had his role phased out in Atlanta so he likely knows where he stands around the league. AZ offers an exciting offense to be a part of, and similar to Drake last year, could be his ticket to changing the view around the league regarding what he has left. For Arizona, it is a matter of bodies. Drake and Edmonds are it as reliable options, and Edmonds got injured after the one game he got significant reps last year. A vet backup makes sense.

2 - Everson Griffin - DT/DE
Another veteran who could want to sign late. He adds an interior pass rush which this defense has a question mark around outside of what Phillips is supposed to bring. He doesn't need a huge role on the defense initially, and won't impact the rookies we brought in whose strengths are vs the run. Griffin can also rush as a DE as well as DT in four man fronts which is nice versatility to have.

3 - Adam Gotsis - DT/DE
Younger player with a history with Vance. Can come in and know the scheme. A rotational player but one with a track record unlike most of our depth.

4 - Vinny Curry - DE
This would be an addition for only one reason. Sub package edge rusher. Dude has experience playing in a rotation and would be another option at DE in our four man fronts.

5 - Antoine Bethea - S
The Cardinals want Budda Baker and Jalen Thompson to be their S moving forward. That said, Jalen needs to take a large leap forward. Bethea would add a veteran to back him up who will be comfortable with the organization and his role on the team. He played significant snaps for the Giants last year so he still has game to offer and has been a class act throughout his career.

Names considered but not viewed as a match. Markus Golden will want a showcase role and Kennard will not be relegated to a rotational backup. Golden is not a pure enough pass rusher to justify a purely pass situation role. Jadeveon Clowney...same argument as Golden though it would be an easier sell for him to get snaps over Kennard.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 - Devonta Freeman - RB
He is a veteran who can do multiple things well in an offense. He had his role phased out in Atlanta so he likely knows where he stands around the league. AZ offers an exciting offense to be a part of, and similar to Drake last year, could be his ticket to changing the view around the league regarding what he has left. For Arizona, it is a matter of bodies. Drake and Edmonds are it as reliable options, and Edmonds got injured after the one game he got significant reps last year. A vet backup makes sense.

2 - Everson Griffin - DT/DE
Another veteran who could want to sign late. He adds an interior pass rush which this defense has a question mark around outside of what Phillips is supposed to bring. He doesn't need a huge role on the defense initially, and won't impact the rookies we brought in whose strengths are vs the run. Griffin can also rush as a DE as well as DT in four man fronts which is nice versatility to have.

3 - Adam Gotsis - DT/DE
Younger player with a history with Vance. Can come in and know the scheme. A rotational player but one with a track record unlike most of our depth.

4 - Vinny Curry - DE
This would be an addition for only one reason. Sub package edge rusher. Dude has experience playing in a rotation and would be another option at DE in our four man fronts.

5 - Antoine Bethea - S
The Cardinals want Budda Baker and Jalen Thompson to be their S moving forward. That said, Jalen needs to take a large leap forward. Bethea would add a veteran to back him up who will be comfortable with the organization and his role on the team. He played significant snaps for the Giants last year so he still has game to offer and has been a class act throughout his career.

Names considered but not viewed as a match. Markus Golden will want a showcase role and Kennard will not be relegated to a rotational backup. Golden is not a pure enough pass rusher to justify a purely pass situation role. Jadeveon Clowney...same argument as Golden though it would be an easier sell for him to get snaps over Kennard.

Devonta Freeman is shot. I see absolutely no reason to want to add him. I think our three running backs are all better than him.

Everson Griffen - yep, he would be a great addition.

Antoine Bethea - I think Jalen Thompson was playing great the last 4 games of the season or so. I don't think we need anyone to take his time. We could probably use one veteran safety for depth, but remember we can always move Simmons primarily to safety if need be.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Devonta Freeman is shot. I see absolutely no reason to want to add him. I think our three running backs are all better than him.

Everson Griffen - yep, he would be a great addition.

Antoine Bethea - I think Jalen Thompson was playing great the last 4 games of the season or so. I don't think we need anyone to take his time. We could probably use one veteran safety for depth, but remember we can always move Simmons primarily to safety if need be.
A veteran backup is what Bethea would be. I am sorry if that was unclear.

Freeman has more to offer than DJ Foster. Eno Benjamin was a 7th rounder. A "shot" Devonta Freeman is still better and complements Chase Edmonds very well if Drake were to get injured.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dont get the Everson Griffin thing

he is a good player, but a DE in a 4-3

he would be miscast in a 3-4

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I like Clowney but think he will want too much more than we will pay. And he certainly would go back to Seattle IMO if all things were equal.

I would also like to see Griffen come home.

Golden would have been the better play IMO until he got the UFA Tender tag.

He only has a few days left to find something better, otherwise, he's a Giant again.

So with edge rusher Markus Golden still unsigned, the Giants whipped out a seldom-used tag called the "UFA tender" in which if Golden is unsigned by July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he can return to the Giants for the coming season.

The UFA tender, as described in Article 9, Section 1b of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, would give Golden a 110% raise if he remains unsigned, his rights reverting to the Giants.
https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/news/giants-apply-a-rarely-used-tag-on-edge-markus-golden

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A veteran backup is what Bethea would be. I am sorry if that was unclear.

Freeman has more to offer than DJ Foster. Eno Benjamin was a 7th rounder. A "shot" Devonta Freeman is still better and complements Chase Edmonds very well if Drake were to get injured.

NFL next gen stats just posted a new stat - actual yards vs expected yards based on the blocking.

Devonta Freeman was the worst back in the nfl last season in this stat with a -1.2 yards compared to expected. That lines up exactly with what I saw.

I think very little of DJ foster - I would still rather have him than Devonta Freeman, that is how little I think of his ability at this point.

Kenyan Drake was in the top 10 in this stat if you look at just his time in Arizona with a +.6 yards per carry over expected. Derek Henry was #1 last season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i dont get the Everson Griffin thing

he is a good player, but a DE in a 4-3

he would be miscast in a 3-4

Here is what you may not get - he is a good D-lineman. We have maybe one of those currently, mismatched to our scheme or not he would help a lot.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d only want Griffin from this list.

Freeman is shot.

Gotsis doesn’t fit a 3-4.

Vinny Curry.....meh.

No need for a Safety at all. Especially for one that’s old & washed as hell. Absolutely not.

Stay young & fresh.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’d only want Griffin from this list.

Freeman is shot.

Gotsis doesn’t fit a 3-4.

Vinny Curry.....meh.

No need for a Safety at all. Especially for one that’s old & washed as hell. Absolutely not.

Stay young & fresh.
I get none of these guys are great...they aren't supposed to be. Vinny Curry gives us more of an edge rusher if Jones gets nicked up or Kennard gets nicked up than anything else we have on the roster.

Who is backing up Jalen Thompson? Washed Bethea can at least understand where he would need to be if something happened to Jalen. Chris Banjo or Dionte Thompson are no where close to being as competent.

Gotsis was drafted when Vance was coach of the Broncos...so I am guessing he liked the fit ok.

Re: Freeman. You aren't wrong, but Chase Edmonds has 1 game in his career with over 8 carries and he got injured the following week. DJ Foster is DJ Foster. Let's not act like we have anything that can handle more that 10 carries a game on our bench behind Drake.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get none of these guys are great...they aren't supposed to be. Vinny Curry gives us more of an edge rusher if Jones gets nicked up or Kennard gets nicked up than anything else we have on the roster.

Who is backing up Jalen Thompson? Washed Bethea can at least understand where he would need to be if something happened to Jalen. Chris Banjo or Dionte Thompson are no where close to being as competent.

Gotsis was drafted when Vance was coach of the Broncos...so I am guessing he liked the fit ok.

Re: Freeman. You aren't wrong, but Chase Edmonds has 1 game in his career with over 8 carries and he got injured the following week. DJ Foster is DJ Foster. Let's not act like we have anything that can handle more that 10 carries a game on our bench behind Drake.

It's pure homerism but I would prefer to see Eno get a shot before bringing in a vet.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me put it another way. Do you want to invest more in the RB position or along the defensive line and secondary? We don't have the cap to do both.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, Vinny would be okay I guess. Not too worried about it.

I’d rather see a fresh Youngbloods(mainly in Deionte’s case) that has the speed to hang with the opposing team’s athletes even if they’re aren’t all the way there mentally, yet rather than the old washed up guy that can’t keep up with anyone cause of Father Time.

I don’t care for Foster, but I’d still rather sign a fresh UDFA than Freeman, tbh. Signing Freeman would basically be a 2016-2018 Keim move.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I’m not sure how griffin “wouldn’t be a fit”. We play nickel 80% of the time and he would line up opposite CJ..

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Let me put it another way. Do you want to invest more in the RB position or along the defensive line and secondary? We don't have the cap to do both.
If you are asking me would I rather have Everson Griffin or Bethea & Freeman...I would prefer Griffin. If you are asking me if I would like to have what we currently have or Bethea & Freeman, I will take Bethea & Freeman.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Exactly, and we don't need a 3rd or 4th string back. Odds of both our top 2 being hurt at the same time are slim.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just checked and we have 3.3 million in cap space. I am thinking that gets ate up in a Hopkins extension

Yeah, we are probably restricted to vet minimum signings unless we get some contract restructured.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe rosters will be limited to 80 players under the latest setup.

This would put pressure on the UDFA's competing to survive at #70 - #80. Keim and the coaching staff will be struggling to figure out who to keep or cut (especially without the benefit of "live" action or much practice or game tape) let alone combing for gems in the FA market.

In short, it will take a super-talent evaluator with a great deal of courage and ego-strength to add a FA this late in the game.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Well, Vin Curry would get us our 2nd round pick we gave up for Kolb. That’s who Philly picked with it.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
RB? I think we’ve got 3 guys who can be one of the better trios in the NFL & that includes Eno.

Griffin? I could see it but whom does he replace on the rebuilt vastly improved Dline? Plus he makes lots of ca$h

Gotsis-See above

Curry-same as above. Does he have gas in the tank?

Bethea-great dude & great underrated leader. I wish we would’ve resigned him last season. We have lots of young safeties so it’s a numbers game. If I were signing any of these guys it’s this veteran.

I think our roster is complete for the most part, except for injuries & possibly CV19 situations. Also we don’t have much cap space if I’m correct? It highly impacts veteran signings as of right now

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if BA brings Bethea in as a coaching assistant.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
The question I would have is what impact would this have on getting compensatory picks. I’d rather have more draft picks for younger players than average veteran role players (aside from Griffin).

But I don’t know how all that really works.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard