2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Robert Sarver also comes up in NBA and NBPA Collective Bargaining Agreement talks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I wonder if Robert Sarver also comes up in NBA and NBPA Collective Bargaining Agreement talks.

A week later and this story is in the national rear view. No player, coach or sponsor has boycotted to this point. Pay Pal gave a lip service statement.

Maybe it’s a media day thing that gets things moving.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A week later and this story is in the national rear view. No player, coach or sponsor has boycotted to this point. Pay Pal gave a lip service statement.

It's only lip service if they renew their contract anyway. In terms of the review mirror? It's not been that long. It's only been days since the NBPA gave their statement as well. We shall see. If this completely fades or just takes some time to play out. This could take months or a year to play out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, certainly we should get a feel where the players stand come media day. It's a question that is bound to be asked.

Also, it remains to be seen how the players react. If some players don't show up for media day or camp, it will be significant.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It's only lip service if they renew their contract anyway. In terms of the review mirror? It's not been that long. It's only been days since the NBPA gave their statement as well. We shall see. If this completely fades or just takes some time to play out. This could take months or a year to play out.
Which company’s logo will be on our uniforms this year?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which company’s logo will be on our uniforms this year?
When is the contract up? The existing contract runs through this year. Lip Service would be after the contract is up, renewing anyway.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is my fear. PayPal didn’t lead to any kind of exodus from sponsors.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When is the contract up?
The Clippers had 12 advertisers pull out IMMEDIATELY when the Sterling thing went down.

I’m sure there’s moral clause breach of contract PayPal could use if they really wanted out. They kicked the can down the road and will still be using the Suns all season for advertising even though the Suns have said they will take no further action and support Sarver.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clippers had 12 advertisers pull out IMMEDIATELY when Sterling went down.

I’m sure there’s moral clause breach of contract PayPal could use if they really wanted out. They kicked the van down the road.
Stupid to risk a lawsuit and alienate the rest of the ownership team if you are hoping Sarver gets bounced and you can renew without incident. You do it now, not only do you risk a lawsuit, but you risk alienated the ownership group you will need to deal with should Sarver get bounced. Is it a little bit of having your cake and eat it too? Sure, but it's also a smart move. Now if they renew and Sarver is still part of the team? THEN it's lip service.

Also, Sterling was a bit different. They had audio to blast 24 seven in the media. Right or wrong as a he/said she said report doesn't have the same impact.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping more sponsors step up this week. The thing is, since Robert Sarver was suspended, there is no immediate pressure to do something.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping more sponsors step up this week. The thing is, since Robert Sarver was suspended, there is no immediate pressure to do something.
It’s already yesterday’s news.

I think the players are the only ones who can affect change at this point once the season starts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s already yesterday’s news.

I think the players are the only ones who can affect change at this point once the season starts.

This seems to be the case. However, with the position of the NBPA, I don't think it's going away.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems to be the case. However, with the position of the NBPA, I don't think it's going away.
Especially, since when asked if the players will boycott the Suns, she basically said we shall see. Meaning they are going to watch to see how things develop by the sounds of their response.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially, since when asked if the players will boycott the Suns, she basically said we shall see. Meaning they are going to watch to see how things develop by the sounds of their response.

I didn't hear the word boycott but NBPA executive director Tamika Tremaglio made it clear they wanted Robert Sarver banned from managing or in contact with someone engaging with the players. Her comments were carefully worded.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't hear the word boycott but NBPA executive director Tamika Tremaglio made it clear they wanted Robert Sarver banned from managing or in contact with someone engaging with the players. Her comments were carefully worded.

On behalf of our players…

Hopefully some Suns players. CP3, as expected, is the only guy with balls to speak up.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s not the entirety of the interview. That’s what happens when you depend on Twitter for the entire interview. Twitter doesn’t always include the entire thing.

’Tremaglio on players potentially boycotting games said the union had "we have not had those discussions as of yet"’

So, basically she is saying they have not had those yet but she never said they won’t or it’s not possible. She could have ruled that out but didn’t. As you said, she worded things very carefully.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s not the entirety of the interview. That’s what happens when you depend on Twitter for the entire interview. Twitter doesn’t always include the entire thing.

’Tremaglio on players potentially boycotting games said the union had "we have not had those discussions as of yet"’

So, basically she is saying they have not had those yet but she never said they won’t or it’s not possible. She could have ruled that out but didn’t. As you said, she worded things very carefully.

So we don't know if players would boycott games.

The comments below seem to weaken the earlier comments regarding a ban.

By Baxter Holmes and Malika Andrews, ESPN Sep 16, 2022:

"We have not had those discussions as of yet," Tremaglio said. "We are all gearing up for a season. ... But I think it is very clear that our players are incredibly upset about what has occurred. Their hearts go out to the families and all of the individuals who have actually had to endure this for such a long period of time. But at the same time they recognize that they have a job to do and they are really excited about moving forward with the season."

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we don't know if players would boycott games.

The comments below seem to weaken the earlier comments regarding a ban.

By Baxter Holmes and Malika Andrews, ESPN Sep 16, 2022:

"We have not had those discussions as of yet," Tremaglio said. "We are all gearing up for a season. ... But I think it is very clear that our players are incredibly upset about what has occurred. Their hearts go out to the families and all of the individuals who have actually had to endure this for such a long period of time. But at the same time they recognize that they have a job to do and they are really excited about moving forward with the season."

Nobody ever said that. However, the word “yet” is very selective. She could have said it was completely off the table. Her words indicate that they will likely monitor the situation.

I don’t think it weakens it a bit. She didn’t take it off the table which is the entire reason for saying “yet”. Likely because there is a year to see what happens with Sarver. Makes sense to me. I doubt it would happen this year. If he returns? We shall see is how I took it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody ever said that. However, the word “yet” is very selective. She could have said it was completely off the table. Her words indicate that they will likely monitor the situation.

I don’t think it weakens it a bit. She didn’t take it off the table which is the entire reason for saying “yet”. Likely because there is a year to see what happens with Sarver. Makes sense to me. I doubt it would happen this year. If he returns? We shall see is how I took it.

Based on the above ESPN quote I posted, we don't know how far the players will go to enforce a lifetime ban.

Maybe they will boycott, maybe they won't. It might have to be put to a vote by the players if it comes to that.

It leaves a gray area for me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the above ESPN quote I posted, we don't know how far the players will go to enforce a lifetime ban.

Maybe they will boycott, maybe they won't. It might have to be put to a vote by the players if it comes to that.

It leaves a gray area for me.
Right. Again, I don’t think anybody was assuming more than the quote says. We do know they are monitoring. We do know they want him gone. We do know they have not taken further action off the table. I think they way they worded this matters.

I don’t see how this could be anything other than grey because the situation with the Suns is grey right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. Again, I don’t think anybody was assuming more than the quote says. We do know they are monitoring. We do know they want him gone. We do know they have not taken further action off the table. I think they way they worded this matters.

I don’t see how this could be anything other than grey because the situation with the Suns is grey right now.

The word "want" is used too much for my liking.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson