2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Nash and Nowitzki is about as good as it gets.

The days of needing a dominant center seems to be over with the encouragement of the 3-point shot.

I don't think Luka will leave the Mavericks as long as Mark Cuban is the owner. He is too smart to let that happen.
Yeah the nash/dirk/van excel combo were ahead of their time. Of corse Don Nelson brought that same mentality to golden state and they eliminated the mavs in 07.

for sure about the dominant center, although I think the dominant center just has to adjust now by being able to actually shoot the ball from the free throw line and the perimeter. For me that’s why I would never consider shaq being better than say Hakeem or Tim Duncan. Although I know others will feel differently and that’s ok.

so far luka appears to be happy in Dallas. I think he prefers to be the top player on his team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is rich after that dinner they had where he told him he wasn't getting paid. I'm sorry, I hold grudges. I'd be like, I know he's the owner, but tell him not to show up for my signing, otherwise just give the contract to my agent to have me sign at home where I can Instagram my signing.

No one told him he wasn't getting paid. There were no reports that Sarver and Ayton's lunch or dinner went as you describe either. I believe the only thing said was that JJ and Ayton's agent were handling contract talks, which is their job. It's not up to the player and owner to sidestep those people and work a deal on their own.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My recollection is Deandre Ayton and Robert Sarver had drinks at a restaurant after contract talks stalled.

We don't know exactly what was said other than hearsay from some unnamed witnesses.

It was obvious he was not getting paid the super max which Doncic received.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My recollection is Deandre Ayton and Robert Sarver had drinks at a restaurant after contract talks stalled.

We don't know exactly what was said other than hearsay from some unnamed witnesses.

Yes. There were pictures. And I remember one with an obviously displeased Ayton. If you owner was telling you that he would pay you the Super Max everyone else was getting, I doubt you would have a disappointed face. Yes we don't know what was said, but we can make a pretty educated guess as to what happened, and we also know he did not get the Super Max extension he wanted after that dinner, too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danilo Gallinari diagnosed with a torn ACL per report.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I just don't get the projected animosities (not saying that you are doing it Mainstreet). Ayton did not deserve the contract that Doncic received. Unless Ayton is stupid, he knows that. He got a great contract, and probably more than he really deserves, but the market dictated it and that's OK. He won't know the difference when he goes to buy a house or car.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't get the projected animosities (not saying that you are doing it Mainstreet). Ayton did not deserve the contract that Doncic received. Unless Ayton is stupid, he knows that. He got a great contract, and probably more than he really deserves, but the market dictated it and that's OK. He won't know the difference when he goes to buy a house or car.

I was relaying my recollection of the meeting between Deandre Ayton and Robert Sarver as a matter of clarification in response to previous posts.

The salary issue is resolved as far as I am concerned.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Victor Wembanyama is 7-foot-4 inches tall barefoot with an 8-foot wingspan.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Bobby Marks of ESPN.

Below are the stars that have been traded the last three years.

As a result, 8 teams control 85 first round picks over the next 7 years.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doncic almost unstoppable against France.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Devin Booker is on the NBA 2K23 cover and has a 91 rating in the game. KD has a rating of 96 and he is not happy about that!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maxi Kleber gets a 3 year/ $33 million extension.

He is a solid role player for Dallas.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rumor has it the NBA will announce expansion to Seattle and Las Vegas during the preseason.

So... who gets shipped to the East? It's either Minnesota or New Orleans... my money is on the Wolves. Minnesota and Milwaukee are natural rivals and it's not like they have any history that is getting ripped up.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it the NBA will announce expansion to Seattle and Las Vegas during the preseason.

So... who gets shipped to the East? It's either Minnesota or New Orleans... my money is on the Wolves. Minnesota and Milwaukee are natural rivals and it's not like they have any history that is getting ripped up.

I agree. Put the Wolves in the East.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd move the Lakers, they're not too far from EAST La.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Croatia plays Finland on Sunday. It's a chance to see Dario and Bojan.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If that's the case, how will the expansion draft be formatted? That should impact how rosters are constructed going forward. In years past, only 8 players could be protected.

Memphis would definitely move East.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That should happen a little later so the finals takes place on Christmas day. Christmas is a big holiday for the NBA already and having a game with meaning would add to that. It would also provide some incentive for the players and teams actually playing as well since I imagine there will be a nice reward. They could clear the schedule so it's only that game as well, which would give 28 other teams Christmas day off.

Silver seems dead set on his tournament idea. I'm glad it won't add to the season but think it could be handled better. I still think money is a boring prize but ultimately why do fans care about championships? Those get players more money and cost fans more money to attend so the prize doesn't matter much, it'll take time for it to become prestigious and in 30-40 years maybe it'll be a big deal to win it, if its still around.

I feel an extra draft pick or something would be a good sweetener. Give the winning team the #15 pick, the first after the lottery, and the losing team the final pick of the 1st round. That would be in addition to their pick already, regardless of whether it was traded away or not. That bonus pick can only be dealt during the draft itself and doesn't effect Stepian rules since it's a bonus.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hopefully, this news provides encouragement for the Suns to give Cam Johnson an extension before the NBA regular season begins.