#1 Offense (in a funk)

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
On a night in Oakland, the normally reliable #1 Offense was the unit that failed to impress. Despite playing an entire half, that unit could only manage to put three points on the board. Meanwhile the Defense kept the team in the game by not allowing any of the bad field possessions to become touchdowns for the Raiders.

There were several things that contributed to the poor offensive showing for the 'ones'. I thought most importantly, it was the excellent play of the Raiders Kalil Mack who pressured Cardinals QB Carson Palmer to the point of frustration that caused the most disruption to the #1 Offense. It was clear, that on this night, not even normally solid Jared Veldheer was able to corral, or contain Mack, who had to be getting into Palmer's head. Mack was simply everywhere, and thankfully, while the 'ones' could not shut him down, Earl Watford who was playing with the 'twos', came on in the second half and was finally able to corral the 'Mack Attack'. There was also some poor play by the Cardinals running backs who never seemed to get a block on Mack in their own backfield, and some indecision or late decisions on when and where to release the ball on Palmer's part that contributed to the lack of production by the offensive 'ones'. Thankfully, as badly as Palmer and his unit played, the units run by Stanton, Sims, and Thomas played very sharply, and each contributed with sharp play and crisp throws that led to scores in the red zone.

The defense not only kept pace, but contributed a score of its own, when (bubble sitter), defensive back Brooks picked off a disrupted Raider screen pass and returned it 81 yards for a touchdown. It was a play that seemed to ignite the entire team which came back to win the game despite the funky performance by Palmer's offensive unit. I thought that the defense, spurred on by stellar play from Okafor, and Campbell played well. Okafor displayed that pressure off the edge that this defense has been looking for, and contributed three tackles, (two for losses), during his time in the game. Callais Campbell was solid, and also got some pressure into the Raiders backfield. Despite poor field position, the defensive units played well enough to hold the score down until the offenses run by Drew Stanton, Phillip Sims, and Logan Thomas could each contribute scores of their own.

The two minute drill by Tomas, was quite remarkable, once he got through the first two plays where he was pressured, tackled while having his head spun around by a Raider face mask penalty, and then sacked by taking a tremendous shot to the legs from behind. He pulled himself to his feet and managed to shake of the effects of that tackle, and aided by two tough pass receptions, with yards after the catch for first downs by bubble sitter TE Momah, and with tough runs by RBs Williams and Grice was able to march the team from its own nine yard line, steadily down the field during the final two minutes of the game for the winning score. Despite all of Thomas' many critics, his two minute drill was tough, brutal, and not to be denied. The only thing beautiful about it was that he was able to do exactly what was needed of him during that pressure packed two minute drill to win the game.

I thought that despite the funky performance of the #1 Offense, this was a very good performance by all the other units, under very (game like) conditions. After the game, Bruce Arians did not seem to be overly concerned by the poor showing by Palmer's unit, and noted that Johnathon Cooper had a fine game starting at the right guard position. The best thing about the game, was that the team seemed to come out of a hard fought contest without any apparent serious injuries to add to what has been a frustrating pre-season from that stand point thus far. I would be surprised to see the ones playing at all in the game at Denver Thursday night.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
we can all be happy about no injuries and the D and subs played well but no denying our #1 offense sucked.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The was not the offense in a funk, that was a OL who could not block. If they have that kind of trouble with the Raiders in their tune up preseason game, it is frightening what could happen in a real game in Seattle. Palmer was not in a funk, he was jumpy because he saw how bad the OL was looking. They better get this thing where it is at least average and then stop freaking switching guys all over the damn place so they can learn how to play as a unit... oh, and Sowell sucks

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My confidence in BA is unwavering , I believe he will guide this team to a 5 and 0 reg. season start . YEA , JIM OTIS SAID THIS !!!!!!!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there were a lot of mental mistakes on the 1st unit offense. Espeicially with the younger players. I felt JJ Nelson took a step back this game. He clearly wasn't on the same page as Palmer. I counted 2 maybe 3 times when he had to be tutored after a play by Fitz or Palmer.

Also the RBs appeared to miss chip blocks that allowed players like Mack to terrorize the QB. Those tiny mistakes killed drives. The good news is that those type of issues are correctable.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wonder how much of this was just BA throwing guys to the fire to see how they fare in one on one matchups?

I think the big question is, in the real games, how much help does he give the OL? We were all spoiled last year by good pass protection. I don't think BA wants to go back to 2103 where the offense was limited because of all the extra focus on protection. But he might have to at least for the first few games.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of this was just BA throwing guys to the fire to see how they fare in one on one matchups?

I think the big question is, in the real games, how much help does he give the OL? We were all spoiled last year by good pass protection. I don't think BA wants to go back to 2103 where the offense was limited because of all the extra focus on protection. But he might have to at least for the first few games.

In his press conference BA said they did some minimal game planning for this game. I'm assuming that they were game planning for Mack so that they didn't get Palmer killed. To me it appeared that the OTs were expecting help with Mack and it never came. I'm guessing that the RBs failed to chip Mack.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In his press conference BA said they did some minimal game planning for this game. I'm assuming that they were game planning for Mack so that they didn't get Palmer killed. To me it appeared that the OTs were expecting help with Mack and it never came. I'm guessing that the RBs failed to chip Mack.

Yeah I never saw any double-teams on Mack except for that one inside spin move where Larsen picked him up. I didn't watch most of the second half though.