Steve Keim Opens Up About Mental Health Issues

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You just don't draft guys like that.

The problem anyone had with Nkemdiche was that he was especially productive. Thats another red flag.
The thing I had with Nkemdiche was that he actually seemed like a pretty intelligent dude off the field - and I mean booksmart/hobbysmart, not common sense smart. I've been guilty of the same thing when I was younger, so I thought it was something that could be turned around, especially with a later pick.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Hopefully he is getting the help he needs. The orginization(Bidwill) enabled the guy for far too long though in my opinion.

I do have a tad bit of sympathy because I watched a sibling become a hardcore alcoholic for 8 years yet often functional somehow.(not always of course)

She woke up one day and decided to avoid alcohol for whatever reason but unfortunately didn't realize how dangerous going cold turkey could be. Within just 18 hours of no alcohol she started having massive seizures. Spent the next 10 days in ICU and she was either kept heavily sedated by drugs, or hallucinating when awake. She didn't even really recognize me for 7 days or so. I learned a bunch during that period about how the brain(GABA receptors) adapted to needing the effect of alcohol and all hell broke loose when she stopped.

Fortunately she hasn't had a drink in 3 years since. Far more pleasant to be around as well when I see her. Lol .

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hopefully he is getting the help he needs. The orginization(Bidwill) enabled the guy for far too long though in my opinion.

I do have a tad bit of sympathy because I watched a sibling become a hardcore alcoholic for 8 years yet often functional somehow.(not always of course)

She woke up one day and decided to avoid alcohol for whatever reason but unfortunately didn't realize how dangerous going cold turkey could be. Within just 18 hours of no alcohol she started having massive seizures. Spent the next 10 days in ICU and she was either kept heavily sedated by drugs, or hallucinating when awake. She didn't even really recognize me for 7 days or so. I learned a bunch during that period about how the brain(GABA receptors) adapted to needing the effect of alcohol and all hell broke loose when she stopped.

Fortunately she hasn't had a drink in 3 years since. Far more pleasant to be around as well when I see her. Lol .
I've had alcohol struggles as well, which is why I understand some of the Keim problems and have some sympathy. I've never gone fully sober on a permanent level, but I do take 2-3 months off a year, and over the past couple of years have managed to only drink 2-3 days a week.

There was a time in my late 20s/early 30s where work stress was just killing me to the point that I'd get home and crush 10+ beers as fast as I possibly could before crushing $20 of food from UberEats and passing out to do it all over again. Every weeknight.

I can't imagine having to be at the office like 12 hours a day and being picked over in the media during that portion of my life.