‘Q’sparks Suns to win

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Craig Morgan, Tribune

NEW ORLEANS - With the 2004 portion of the NBA season in his rearview mirror, Suns coach Mike D’Antoni made a New Year’s resolution.
"We will get some happy faces on and some party hats and we’ll be ready to go," D’Antoni said. "We need a New Year’s resolution to enjoy the game again and play it the way it’s supposed to be played."

The fun Suns of November and early December were absent on this two-game road trip, which concluded with a listless 107-96 win over the New Orleans Hornets Wednesday at New Orleans Arena.

For the second straight night the Suns were dormant on defense, allowing the league’s worst-shooting team to connect on 47 percent of its shots.

"We’re just a little down — not a lot of enthusiasm out there," said D’Antoni, whose team was drubbed 115-94 in San Antonio Tuesday. "Some of it was being a little tired and a little down from last night but some of it was just not wanting to play real hard."

It took the gunslinger mentality of Quentin Richardson, who had a franchise record nine 3-pointers, and the energy of reserve Steven Hunter to lift the Suns out of their doldrums and into the New Year with a sparkling 25-4 record.

"It’s good to get back on the winning side of things,’ said Richardson, who seemed to shrug off Tuesday’s performance (0-of-7 shooting) more easily than his teammates with a game-high 31 points and 11 rebounds. "Steve (Nash) was getting really good penetration today and that makes all the difference for us as shooters."

Phoenix held a comfortable lead most of the game, but the Hornets finally made a run midway through the third quarter, pulling ahead, 64-63, on P.J. Brown’s dunk with 6:36 left.

That’s when Richardson (three 3-pointers) and Hunter took over, scoring 15 of their club’s next 17 points during a 17-6 run that opened a 80-70 lead after three quarters.

"I had a lot of energy tonight because I haven’t been playing much lately," said Hunter, who had 10 points, five rebounds and a block in 18 minutes. "Hopefully, I’ll be called on for more minutes if someone’s struggling or not playing well because I think I’ve earned it."

For their part the Suns have earned the three-day rest they will now enjoy before taking on Portland on Sunday. Despite the recent struggles, the club has exceeded all expectations in posting the league’s top record.

"We’ll get back to practice and start playing defense the way we were when we started the season," forward Shawn Marion promised. "But when you look at our record, what more can you say about what we’ve done? It speaks for itself."

SUB-PAR SHAWN
For a guy who prides himself on consistency, Marion had an uncharacteristically poor road trip.

He came into the trip averaging 11.4 rebounds and 19.7 points on 47.4 percent shooting, but he averaged just 7.5 rebounds and 7.5 points on 4-of-23 shooting.

As the Suns’ most versatile player he regularly logs heavy minutes (39.4 avg.), but Marion insisted fatigue was not a factor.

"I’m fine. It was just one of those things," he said. "We got a bad win, but who cares? We got the win. That’s what’s important."

JACKSON SUSPENDED
The Hornets suspended newly acquired swingman Jim Jackson indefinitely Wednesday for failing to report to the team. Jackson was acquired along with Bostjan Nachbar from Houston Monday in exchange for guard David Wesley.

"We’re confident that once Jim has time to evaluate his situation more closely he’ll understand that we have a great organization and a tremendous coaching staff," said Hornets general manager Allan Bristow, whose club is 2-26. "The Hornets have established a strong winning tradition over the years. We plan to continue to work tirelessly to get back to that."

BONUS SHOTS
Richardson also set a franchise record for 3-pointers attempted Wednesday with 16.

Dan Majerle and Jason Kidd previously held the single-game franchise record for 3s made with eight. Majerle held the attempts record with 14.

D’Antoni said one bright spot from Tuesday’s debacle in San Antonio was the play of Maciej Lampe, who came off the bench in garbage time and gave the Suns good energy with six points, four rebounds and a steal.

New Orleans allowed 100 points or more for the sixth straight game.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=33946

jibikao

Reaction score
"I had a lot of energy tonight because I haven’t been playing much lately," said Hunter, who had 10 points, five rebounds and a block in 18 minutes. "Hopefully, I’ll be called on for more minutes if someone’s struggling or not playing well because I think I’ve earned it."

I am glad Hunter raised his opinion. I really think we need a good 6th man for different situation. Hunter should be the best one against tall and physical teams like Spurs (and maybe T-wolves). Hunter's long arm and athleticism will help the team in terms of defense.

The only thing they need to learn is how Amare and Hunter can cooperate in the paint.

Can Hunter shoot well from outside? I've never seen it.

Jimmy