Off season still not a success!!

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
The signings are nice additions, dont get me wrong, but if we enter the draft without getting any of the top 4 DE's, we still take a step back. The GLARING need for a pass rusher is still alive and well. Getting Suggs is far from certain. Johnson is still a question mark, and KVB is not the answer. Holliday seems to be jerking us around, and quite frankly I dont want the guy if his attitude isnt right. Okeafor is still there, but the Cards dont seem to hot on him. So the prospect of not upgrading the pass rush is quite possible. If I was Graves, and this dilema was staring me in the face, I would do whatevr it takes to get Suggs.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
At this point I find it very conceivable to trade up into the Texans spot. With them missing out on Stephen Davis most likely, he should offer them our pick at #6 + Thomas Jones + and a later pick ( not the second round pick.) If we get neither Holliday or Okeafor we better do whatever it takes to get Suggs.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Respectfully, I disagree.

The season doesn't kick off until October, and at this point, we've only got 4 real "holes" in our lineup. DE, DT, CB, and WR.

With plenty of cap space and 8 draft picks, we're in a great position to not only fill those four holes in the starting lineup, but add depth.

I am more impressed right now with the Cards' front office than I have been in a long time - maybe all the way back to the hiring of Buddy Ryan.

OP
OP
F

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
This team needs a transfusion of talent like no other team. We cannot keep playing with average talent, especially on defense. The secondary looks improved, the lb's are sificiant, but the D-line and the pass rush is terrible!!! No pressure means the same results as last year, and no one will convince me otherwise.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by football24/7
This team needs a transfusion of talent like no other team. We cannot keep playing with average talent, especially on defense. The secondary looks improved, the lb's are sificiant, but the D-line and the pass rush is terrible!!! No pressure means the same results as last year, and no one will convince me otherwise.

Did you even read what I said?

It's March, man.

By October I think it's likely we'll have two brand new starters on the defensive line to increase the pass rush. Why don't you give Rod Graves the benefit of the doubt? I mean, let's be honest - he's an NFL GM who so far seems to be doing a pretty damn good job, and we're just fans posting on a message board.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Originally posted by General Chaos
At this point I find it very conceivable to trade up into the Texans spot. With them missing out on Stephen Davis most likely, he should offer them our pick at #6 + Thomas Jones + and a later pick ( not the second round pick.) If we get neither Holliday or Okeafor we better do whatever it takes to get Suggs.
I agree completely, but even if we get Holliday I want us to trade up and get Suggs. Just adding those two will give us a much better defense and strike a little terror into QBs that have to play against us.

OP
OP
F

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I read what you said, but usually the guys that get cut are on the down side of their career, or make to much money. We always sign the 2nd level guys because they are less to sign. They are less to sign because they have less talent. All I am saying is lets get a playmaker that fills a huge need NOW!! We have a better chance of being aggresive and get Suggs, than HOPE AND PRAY that someone with above average talent gets cut. I would do whatevr it takes to get a differance maker, because that is what I beleive in. We will never ever be a perennial contender until we make smart calculated moves to go get guys like Suggs. Just imagine a Jevon Kearse clone on our d-line, I can and its awesome!!

Big_Red_One

Rookie
Reaction score
I agree.
The biggest need in this off season was pass rush and so far it has not been addressed. I like Suggs, but we will not get him at 6. There is no way he is there, every year DT and DE go faster than expected.

We still need a pass rush........That should be our number one proirity! IF the Cards want to demonstrate that the organization has changed and put butts in the seats then they need to make a splash in the draft. The FA options are slowly be signed away.

:(

pinnacle

Reaction score
I agree a pass rush was our biggest need...but if you look at what was available in free agency..there was not many options:

1. Colvin..we gave him the most $$ and did all we could do..he went elsewhere.

After him..there is a big dropoff

You can give up your 1st round pick for a guy like KGB in green bay..but based on what I have heard recently it has to be your own pick..you cannot trade down and deal a lower pick...I would not give the #6 pick in the draft for a guy who is not an every down player..

Holliday is a decent pass rusher - but he has had injury problems and appears to want to play elsewhere (but if he ends up here I will take him)..... Okeafor is an average pass rusher..while he is better than what we have..I would not overpay for him..at the end of the day he is an overall average defensive end..

So as far as free agency goes..not sure I can blame the cardinals for not getting a pass rusher so far..not much out there..

I would love to move up few picks and get suggs..but this will probably not happen..so we will probably try to address it in round 2 (I started another thread listing the available defensive ends) of the draft...Not ideal - but there is not many options out there - problem is that too many teams need an above average pass rusher..heck..every team that drafts in front of us has at one point or another been mentioned as a candidate to take suggs..while it is not a high need area for detroit - most of the teams in the top 10 draft need a serious pass rusher..plus some of the better teams.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why don't you give Rod Graves the benefit of the doubt? I mean, let's be honest - he's an NFL GM who so far seems to be doing a pretty damn good job, and we're just fans posting on a message board.

Well most of us are not exactly JUST fans posting on a message board. Many are fans who watch video tape, read every available scouting report, have seen every Cardinal game since the advent of Direct TV and have been closely following pro football and the Cardinals for 15,20,30 or more years. The main difference between us and Graves is that he gets paid to do full time what we do for a hobby in our spare time.

Never sell short the football knowledge of anyone who is still a Cardinal fan in this era of high tech TV recording and internet access. Our opinions may be wrong but most of the time the posters here have a reasonable basis for those opinions.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You are right duck jake. We are all football geniuses. :rolleyes:

Truth is we have no idea what is really going on. To try and pretend that you know more or equal to any *.M. is complete idiocy.

Why is* censored? ,*, ?George?

"*" The letter after f is banned.

Last edited:

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I totally agreed Wiz.

Look at the last week or so here, and how just a few days ago so many of the "genius's here had written the Cards off, were dissing Graves and the organization for their lack of action, stupidity, and lack of planning.

Yep, a ton of genius's here that do indeed have more knowledge of whats really going on than those bimbo's that play at running the team.

I might add here too, that the pass rush may not be quite as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be. From what I saw, the last few games, they were starting to get more pressure on the QB, except for when they did their "famous" 3 man rush.
Which is still something I do scratch my head about. How is anyone supposed to generate a pass rush with 3 players.
Does it still need to be improved?.......most certainly.....but I also think that a lot of people are indeed maybe underestimating what we do have too. KVB should be better coming of the knee injury, DJ has a year under his belt now. Bell and Bryant and Davis were showing signs of getting a little pressure, and I look for improvement there.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
I totally agreed Wiz.

Look at the last week or so here, and how just a few days ago so many of the "genius's here had written the Cards off, were dissing Graves and the organization for their lack of action, stupidity, and lack of planning.

Yep, a ton of genius's here that do indeed have more knowledge of whats really going on than those bimbo's that play at running the team.

I might add here too, that the pass rush may not be quite as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be. From what I saw, the last few games, they were starting to get more pressure on the QB, except for when they did their "famous" 3 man rush.
Which is still something I do scratch my head about. How is anyone supposed to generate a pass rush with 3 players.
Does it still need to be improved?.......most certainly.....but I also think that a lot of people are indeed maybe underestimating what we do have too. KVB should be better coming of the knee injury, DJ has a year under his belt now. Bell and Bryant and Davis were showing signs of getting a little pressure, and I look for improvement there.

I am still writting off the cards and still dissing the front office. Graves has not shown me anything. Tango, KVB has had health problems since he has started playing so i do not see this guy being a healthy consistant player, DJ is still hugely undersized, and the cards DT's will at most gain 4 or maybe 5 sacks between them. How long have we been saying this is the year for bell and/or davis and neither have met our expectations. Once graves takes care of a pass rush he will have done something in my eyes. I think the signings last week were more of a thing to shut us up after colvin and DB got away. Sure there might be some upgrades like blake and hodgins but the rest are tossups. Jackson is not as good as some people like to think and probably will give you the same numbers as lassiter. Jackson profited from playing on the best defense in the league. The bucs had a pass rush which caused jackson to become better. We do not have a pass rush so how will he do then? Get a DE and WR and i would say this has been a productive offseason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson