No Clue

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Years ago when we were part of Rivals I used to write a preview of each game. Aside for analyzing the two teams, my primary focus was how the Cards could win the game. Fortunately I’m no longer obligated to write that column.

Frankly, I cannot envision the Cards winning Sunday. Even if Dallas looks past the Cards to their next game, the Cards will lose. I thought the talent gap between the Cards and the Giants was substantial, this gap is insurmountable. This is not a case of any given Sunday. Nothing will be given this Sunday. They should put Dante’s sign above the fan entrances, “Abandon all hope ye who enter here.”

Yes Dobbs played much better last week. He also only put up 7 second half points against a defense playing 2 rookie CBs. The Giants aren’t capable of that good a set of halftime defensive adjustments. Connor ran for 100 yards. He won’t against Dallas. The Cowboys have a far superior defense and won’t need adjustments.

For the Cards to even keep it close they’ll need the Cowboys to start slowly. I think the Cards will start out balanced and attempt to run. They won’t be able to run initially. They’ll need to pass to have a chance of even minimally establishing the run. So throw short even on down one. This won’t gain them much, but at least they might slow the inevitable.

What’s more likely to happen is that the Cowboys will start with an aggressive pass rush. Dobbs will make a couple of poorly placed throws and the rout is on. Even with Diggs out, I still see the Cowboys CB depth good enough considering their pass rush. Don’t be shocked if they get beat worse than the Giants, though I think they keep it a little closer; 31-9. If the Cards commit their usual stack of penalties it will be especially hard brutal. I think the Cards will come ready to play, but their bringing a rubber knife to a gunfight. Adrenaline wears off after a quarter and a half. Then all you have left is skill and the Cards are lacking in that area.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the best strategy for the Cards would be to play a high-variance game of deep passes and a high-pressure defensive attack. Real cynical football where you hope to get a couple of pass interference penalties.

I expect them to do the opposite.
Sounds like Tune Time to me!!

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago when we were part of Rivals I used to write a preview of each game. Aside for analyzing the two teams, my primary focus was how the Cards could win the game. Fortunately I’m no longer obligated to write that column.

Frankly, I cannot envision the Cards winning Sunday. Even if Dallas looks past the Cards to their next game, the Cards will lose. I thought the talent gap between the Cards and the Giants was substantial, this gap is insurmountable. This is not a case of any given Sunday. Nothing will be given this Sunday. They should put Dante’s sign above the fan entrances, “Abandon all hope ye who enter here.”

Yes Dobbs played much better last week. He also only put up 7 second half points against a defense playing 2 rookie CBs. The Giants aren’t capable of that good a set of halftime defensive adjustments. Connor ran for 100 yards. He won’t against Dallas. The Cowboys have a far superior defense and won’t need adjustments.

For the Cards to even keep it close they’ll need the Cowboys to start slowly. I think the Cards will start out balanced and attempt to run. They won’t be able to run initially. They’ll need to pass to have a chance of even minimally establishing the run. So throw short even on down one. This won’t gain them much, but at least they might slow the inevitable.

What’s more likely to happen is that the Cowboys will start with an aggressive pass rush. Dobbs will make a couple of poorly placed throws and the rout is on. Even with Diggs out, I still see the Cowboys CB depth good enough considering their pass rush. Don’t be shocked if they get beat worse than the Giants, though I think they keep it a little closer; 31-9. If the Cards commit their usual stack of penalties it will be especially hard brutal. I think the Cards will come ready to play, but they’re bringing a rubber knife to a gunfight. Adrenaline wears off after a quarter and a half. Then all you have left is skill and the Cards are lacking in that area.
So you’re saying there’s a chance….

JTS

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The parity that comes from the salary cap has been negated by unusual circumstances. The Cardinals have jettisoned a bunch of veterans brought in by the previous regime which has not only left them talent deficient, but created an unusually large amount of dead money. Then injuries have cost them their quarterback and their best defensive player.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The parity that comes from the salary cap has been negated by unusual circumstances. The Cardinals have jettisoned a bunch of veterans brought in by the previous regime which has not only left them talent deficient, but created an unusually large amount of dead money. Then injuries have cost them their quarterback and their best defensive player.
This is fake news. We're sixth in the league in dead money. The Eagles and Bucs both have more dead money than we do and they're 2-0.

Poverty mindset runs deep.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is fake news. We're sixth in the league in dead money. The Eagles and Bucs both have more dead money than we do and they're 2-0.

Poverty mindset runs deep.

It's not one thing.

Teams that draft well or already have a good roster can afford to have dead money. Teams that have 10 years of bad drafts and poor FA signings can't.

Are you seriously suggesting we could have had a competitive roster? WIth a banged up starting QB and only $13m in cap space?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's not one thing.

Teams that draft well or already have a good roster can afford to have dead money. Teams that have 10 years of bad drafts and poor FA signings can't.

Are you seriously suggesting we could have had a competitive roster? WIth a banged up starting QB and only $13m in cap space?
The amount of dead money we have is not unusual.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
I think it comes down to the turnover ratio- if the cowgirls come in flat with their heads full of air- could be a trap game for them. Agree on paper though- going to be a rough day for us in every aspect of the game (aside from total punting yards)

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Good teams force bad teams to commit turnovers and penalties - we haven't faced a good team yet - we're already 5th in penalties (3rd if going by yardage) and I think it's about to get worse

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We'll take those 13 points in the spread too, while you're at it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds like someone who doesn’t have a system
To cover a double digit spread is never a terrible bet in the NFL. But I don't gamble outside nickle and dime fantasy stuff.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
gladly admit that I thought we were going to be wiped out and even more glad that I was wrong!

I did call that I thought it would be a trap game for Dallas if they came in flat tho…man if we only win one game this season- I’m glad it was against them. It just feels that much sweeter