Suns @ Pistons Friday game thread 1-8-2021

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They chewed up the Sac zone because they moved the ball and attacked in this game they just got lazy and stayed chucking 3s

EJ was in the call going crazy saying take the ball to the hole and pointing out how it was open all day to drive but they settled for 3s

They need a point guard capable of dribble penetration for that. They don't have one.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerami Grant is even better than I thought when I wanted the Suns to pursue him as a free agent.

He would have been the perfect fit at power forward for the Suns.

Christian Wood would have been an excellent fit as well.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Siakam, Grant...we seem to be struggling with these types of players. Long and tall, and athletic.
Have to wonder what Scotty Pippen would have done to this team. Jalen Smith might help, I know they had Saric and Ayton playing together some

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jerami Grant is even better than I thought when I wanted the Suns to pursue him as a free agent.

He would have been the perfect fit at power forward for the Suns.

Christian Wood would have been an excellent fit as well.

Kevin Durant would have been a great fit as well. What’s your point?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I disagree. Mediocre teams need to win this type of game. The Suns of last year need to win this type of game. This year’s team can beat anyone anywhere anytime.
We are not at a place where we can just dismiss wins. Particularly in a truncated season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
perhaps the difference is that this squad hasn’t had a playoff experience yet. folks seemed pretty jazzed for the bubble run which was playoffs verrrrry lite.

I expect if the team starts winning playoff series the enthusiasm will follow.
I’d agree with this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This year that’s pretty sad.
But makes sense. There’s no one “exciting” on this team like kj, Barkley, amare, nash. Nor a big personality like majerle. This is more of yeomanlike team. A bunch of pretty-good-to-very-good players that have bought into defense. Still obviously root for them (I mean you can see my emotion in game threads, lol). But after the losses aren’t pained like in the past. I think cheese’s theory is as good a reason as any other.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s a fair criticism. They need to get a lot more touches for Ayton near/at the rim. He’s a really good passer from there, too.
His refusal to dunk and his hands are a tremendous problem. If he doesn’t drop the pass there’s a high chance of his getting the ball stripped or just fumbling it when he makes his move. I think that’s why I’m a game where he went something like 7/8 from the field (a) they didn’t go to him more and (b) it seemed like he was a wreck offensively. And his turnovers don’t tell the total story because I recall two-three times he fumbled the ball right at the rim but we retained possession. Those are still big blown plays.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not sure why Galloway didn’t get more burn in the second half? Sucks that we pissed away what should have been an easy win on paper...
Bc he stopped hitting. It’s his pattern. Once he loses his rhythm it doesn’t seem to return.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He is, but everyone was ice cold so i'd rather he just take it hard at the rim every time. There was one play where he flashed to the middle of the paint, got the ball while the defense was scrambling back and he didn't even look to the rim. He was looking for an open man, when he could have had an easy 6ft hook or better. That's frustrating (and yes, I recognize i'm starting to beat a dead horse on this one).
That happened a few times. Once he had so much time to look around he finally realized he had to shoot it. He did. And hit it. Eddie was incredulous it took him so long to realize it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That happened a few times. Once he had so much time to look around he finally realized he had to shoot it. He did. And hit it. Eddie was incredulous it took him so long to realize it.

ive been talking about this since his rookie year. He constantly gets the ball with his back to the basket at the top of the key and doesn’t even bother LOOKING at the hoop. It allows the D to play 5 on 4 in those situations.

The fact that he almost never faces up when he gets the spot there or that he hasn’t developed ANY kind of handles to drive there, in Year 3 is pretty weak for a guy who was the first overall pick in the draft.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ive been talking about this since his rookie year. He constantly gets the ball with his back to the basket at the top of the key and doesn’t even bother LOOKING at the hoop. It allows the D to play 5 on 4 in those situations.

The fact that he almost never faces up when he gets the spot there or that he hasn’t developed ANY kind of handles to drive there, in Year 3 is pretty weak for a guy who was the first overall pick in the draft.

I’m beginning to see Booker double teamed again. It’s really a troubling issue when he doesn’t look to the basket. Defenders are starting to sag on Ayton and I’m sure the scouting report says he won’t drive it in or dunk.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m beginning to see Booker double teamed again. It’s really a troubling issue when he doesn’t look to the basket. Defenders are starting to sag on Ayton and I’m sure the scouting report says he won’t drive it in or dunk.

Defenders are sagging on Paul as well, as Paul has been unable to shoot or drive.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
95pro said:

Defenders are sagging on Paul as well, as Paul has been unable to shoot or drive.

There is more to being a Center than scoring some points (inconsistently) and rebounding stats. Even in today's NBA.

That, as well as Ayton playing offense on the perimeter and his newfound 3-point shooting, strengthen the opinion
that he would best be used as a Power Forward, and add a strong starting Center (not Daric).

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But makes sense. There’s no one “exciting” on this team like kj, Barkley, amare, nash. Nor a big personality like majerle. This is more of yeomanlike team. A bunch of pretty-good-to-very-good players that have bought into defense. Still obviously root for them (I mean you can see my emotion in game threads, lol). But after the losses aren’t pained like in the past. I think cheese’s theory is as good a reason as any other.
Will that minimize their accomplishments (if any)?

Compared to how utterly disgusted I’ve been with the Cardinals and the amount of time it’s been since the Suns have been good, it’s hard to understand anyone preferring NFL to NBA this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Compared to how utterly disgusted I’ve been with the Cardinals and the amount of time it’s been since the Suns have been good, it’s hard to understand anyone preferring NFL to NBA this year.

It wouldn’t minimize any accomplishments. And if there are accomplishments, it probably would boost my emotional investment in the team.

as far as NFL v. NBA, I too am disgusted with the Cardinals and therein lies the rub. That disgust highlights how emotionally invested I am in them in a way I’m not the Suns. At least not yet. Maybe I just love football more.

also, it’s not like The Cardinals were terrible all season. They were shot out of cannon the first half of the season with some HUGE wins and two of the most exciting players in all of football doing incredible things while winning games. So, the emotion was already super high and then they just ripped the rug out from under us. Maybe that makes me more guarded with the Suns too.

I don’t know. I’m invested enough to have bought the Suns League Pass. But part of me wonders if that wasn’t done as a time killer while staying in the overwhelming majority of the time. Is what it is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

No, won’t diminish their accomplishments. And we are still enjoying the beginning of the season thus far. Maybe I’m tempering it due to our mirage start last season. I dunno.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm invested and don't get down thinking its the same old Suns when they lose but getting accustomed to Suns losses is something that has been ingrained in me for the last few years because they've sucked for about a decade. We've seen these players lose, a lot, for the most part.

I'm a big fan of Booker, Bridges, Cam Johnson, Carter, and Saric but outside of the bubble they've only disappointed and lost. That seems to be changing but it hasn't changed yet and they haven't won enough this year to erase that pessimistic fan inside me.

So losses like this seem business as usual for them rather than something out of the norm. Im hoping this season is long enough that late season losses bother me more. I'm sure playoff losses will piss me off and disappoint me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm invested and don't get down thinking its the same old Suns when they lose but getting accustomed to Suns losses is something that has been ingrained in me for the last few years because they've sucked for about a decade. We've seen these players lose, a lot, for the most part.

I'm a big fan of Booker, Bridges, Cam Johnson, Carter, and Saric but outside of the bubble they've only disappointed and lost. That seems to be changing but it hasn't changed yet and they haven't won enough this year to erase that pessimistic fan inside me.

So losses like this seem business as usual for them rather than something out of the norm. Im hoping this season is long enough that late season losses bother me more. I'm sure playoff losses will piss me off and disappoint me.

the above has all occurred to me as well.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They shot 26/56 from 2. That’s uh...bad.
Teams would KILL for a collective 46% from 3. You may argue that 56 shots is too many, but 46% is outstanding. 41% for GS in 2015 season was the highest I could find (eye test, not scientific).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson