DJ Thought

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Scott Bordow of The Athletic has suggested the Cards could re-structure DJ’s contract to facilitate trading him. Scott didn’t say how. There is only one way I could think of to do that. If they restructured the Cards would be responsible for any increased signing bonus. I guess they could lower the salary and increase the signing bonus. So maybe the Cards could increase the total signing bonus from $6-$10 million. Then lower his salary to be assumed to $6.2 million. The question is does DJ really want to be traded? Also if he does this he’d have to be confident the Cards wouldn’t send him to somewhere like Cleveland if Cleveland offered more. So does DJ trust the Cards? Is he motivated to help the Cards of would he prefer to force try to force them to cut him so he’d be a totally free agent? Had they given him more playing time he might be more cooperative. This is a mess. I’m sure he wants to play, but he holds most of the leverage.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve thought of this but I’m sure a desirable destination would have to be in place. It would also would have helped if had shown a BURNING desire to play.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scott Bordow of The Athletic has suggested the Cards could re-structure DJ’s contract to facilitate trading him. Scott didn’t say how. There is only one way I could think of to do that. If they restructured the Cards would be responsible for any increased signing bonus. I guess they could lower the salary and increase the signing bonus. So maybe the Cards could increase the total signing bonus from $6-$10 million. Then lower his salary to be assumed to $6.2 million. The question is does DJ really want to be traded? Also if he does this he’d have to be confident the Cards wouldn’t send him to somewhere like Cleveland if Cleveland offered more. So does DJ trust the Cards? Is he motivated to help the Cards of would he prefer to force try to force them to cut him so he’d be a totally free agent? Had they given him more playing time he might be more cooperative. This is a mess. I’m sure he wants to play, but he holds most of the leverage.

He didn't say how because one way or another there's a $16.2 CAP hit the Cards have to account for unless another team assumes the existing deal.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
He didn't say how because one way or another there's a $16.2 CAP hit the Cards have to account for unless another team assumes the existing deal.
Not true. Under the contract I laid out the Cards would eat $10 million, not $16.2.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

In other words they convert salary to bonus money thus lowering the salary basis to a more reasonable, trade-able figure. The Cards take a hit in 2020 but move some of his salary (lowered) to a new team and the salary is more manageable for the new team and clears 2021 completely for the Cardinals. I guess we would have to hope that they can find a team that believes Johnson still has something to offer and pay him like a mid/upper tier RB. Even at $6 million he ends up a pretty expensive RB.

Is there a limit on how much salary can be converted to bonus money? If I understand this right the more salary converted to bonus money increases the 2020 cap hit, correct? If Johnson is traded does all bonus money (2020 and 2021) get paid in year of the trade? What about roster bonus money, how is that handled? Would this actually lower the total cap hit for the team if they trade Johnson because they moved a portion of his salary to the new team?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In other words they convert salary to bonus money thus lowering the salary basis to a more reasonable, trade-able figure. The Cards take a hit in 2020 but move some of his salary (lowered) to a new team and the salary is more manageable for the new team and clears 2021 completely for the Cardinals. I guess we would have to hope that they can find a team that believes Johnson still has something to offer and pay him like a mid/upper tier RB. Even at $6 million he ends up a pretty expensive RB.

Is there a limit on how much salary can be converted to bonus money? If I understand this right the more salary converted to bonus money increases the 2020 cap hit, correct? If Johnson is traded does all bonus money (2020 and 2021) get paid in year of the trade? What about roster bonus money, how is that handled? Would this actually lower the total cap hit for the team if they trade Johnson because they moved a portion of his salary to the new team?

Restructuring increases the cap hit in the event of a trade. Right now, if David Johnson were traded, we'd assume a $6M cap hit from his accelerated bonus, but the team we're trading him to would assume his $10.2M 2020 salary (and $2.1M of 2021 salary).

If David Johnson were cut, it would create $18.3M in dead money on the 2020 cap -- $6M in accelerated bonus, $10.2M of 2020 salary, and $2.1M of 2021 salary.

Who knows what it would take to facilitate a trade. Maybe the other team would accept a $7M salary for a one-time All Pro RB? I imagine that they'd want more like $5M and we'd have to eat $11M for a player already under contract, which is a cap savings of just $3 million.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not true. Under the contract I laid out the Cards would eat $10 million, not $16.2.

My mistake the dead money hit is actually been revised to $18.3m in 2020; his CAP hit is $14.2m and his base salary of $10.2m is guaranteed. In your trade scenario, correct me if wrong, the other team would assume $6.2m of his salary. What other incentives would you offer to get this done?

https://overthecap.com/player/david-johnson/3934/

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if they can do that and basically throw that 6 million in savings to Drake, that would be the best possible scenario.

instead, Bluto will probably get hammered, eat an entire bucket of KFC and then extend the contract, lowering the cap hit this year by 2 million bucks but punishing the cap for the next four years after.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the problem to be solved with DJs contract is $11.25mm in guaranteed salary / bonus in 2020

and to a far lesser extent-- $3 mm in guaranteed salary/ bonus in 2021

So what is the salary amount a team is willing to take on in hopes of getting 2016 DJ?

$3mm? $5mm? I have a hard time seeing it go higher than that (and btw: that assumes we get a 5th round pick back).

Lets assume BA wants him, and $5mm is what they would take in salary.

$6.25mm of the $11.25 gets converted to a bonus that the Cards pay and he gets traded.

Cards cap hit in that situation is $6.25 + $6mm left over from the original signing bonus, or $12.25 total. Actually saves $2mm from his current cap number.

If you assume all BA will pay him is $3mm, then there are no cap savings -- but you do shave $12 mm off the 2021 figure that the team can leverage

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
My mistake the dead money hit is actually been revised to $18.3m in 2020; his CAP hit is $14.2m and his base salary of $10.2m is guaranteed. In your trade scenario, correct me if wrong, the other team would assume $6.2m of his salary. What other incentives would you offer to get this done?

https://overthecap.com/player/david-johnson/3934/
Well, I was wrong too. I’ve got quite a bit of company. I forgot about the 2021 bonus as had almost every article about this. The starting number should be 18.3. This means the Cards would likely eat $8 mil. no matter what. Base salary being converted to bonus is the most common tool used when contracts are restructured. Typically the point is to reduce the current season’s cap hit and spread it out through future years. I’ll admit I’ve never heard of anyone doing what I’ve suggested. On the other hand no one I’ve spoken with has concluded you couldn’t do it. The nice part is in any case they could lower the hit on another team by taking a larger hit themselves. DJ also has 10.2 guaranteed 2020 salary. Moving $4 mil to bonus would mean Tampa would pay $6.2 in salary; a number I believe Tampa could live with. I don’t think anything else would need to be included.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/06/nfl-restructuring-contracts

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm still baffled as to how DJ turned into Beanie Wells seemingly overnight.. unless there's some lingering injury that's never been reported.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm still baffled as to how DJ turned into Beanie Wells seemingly overnight.. unless there's some lingering injury that's never been reported.

I'm going with that. An injury that never really was reported.

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/david-johnson-16810/
When trying to calculate, keep in mind all of his 2020 salary became fully guaranteed as of 3/15/2019. $2.1M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/20/2020.

So if they don't do anything with him in the next 3 months, they'll owe him MORE guaranteed ($18.3 instead of $16.2 million). FYI, trades cannot commence until March 18th. So, there is only a 2 day window.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What the bleep happened?

We have this RB who looks to be All World as a talent, an effort guy and a good bang for the buck. He signs a big contracyt but then gets injured (non-leg) and his comeback is less than a huge success.

What happened? I refuse to accept that DJ is a bad guy -on earth to take money.

Did he have a run-in with Wilks or KK? Is he hiding an injury?

Well, I guess pro FB is a business. If we can't sign Drake, we should keep DJ. If we sign Drake, say buh-bye to DJ. Whichever the case, we could use a 220 lb RB who can catch, run routes and block - as a quality backup or more.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Did you guys notice someone asked Darren Urban about my scenario? Here’s his answer, “If you were to trade a player, yes, you could in theory restructure a deal and convert salary into a bonus to be paid pre-trade, accelerating that cap hit on to the trading team rather than the team who is taking the player.“

I guess that’s validation it could be done. He wasn’t asked if it was a good idea.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson