How do we build our offensive line?

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Won’t get any argument from me. I think pace has done a great job. Except for maybe placekicker.. lol

Really just a terrible decision. You’re trying to win by playing high level defense you need a great kicker.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am feeling the opposite way.

None of the TE's coming out are as good as Kittle and he went in rd 5. There are several solid TE's that can be had in round 4-5 and TE is just not that big of a factor for most teams. We definitely need to cut Gresham.

I think that there will be a very solid O lineman that falls to 33 along with some other positions of need. A lot will depend on FA but I am still an advocate of BPA.

Is 33 where you think the Cards will draft on a multi pick trade down? If so, I believe there will be a few interior O L candidates available there. Won't have to redraft Cooper at #7. :)

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an unanswerable question because Humphries and Pugh can't stay healthy to save their lives.

I'd dump Hump at this point. paying 9 million dollars to an average LT who plays 8 games a year not only puts you in a bad position at the most important position on the line, it sucks up 9 million dollars that could be spent elsewhere to improve the team.

I abbhored the D J H pick when he was drafted out of Florida. He peaked when he won the Anthony Munoz award as the best High School lineman in high school.

He was the same injured player(DNP injured) at Florida as he is now in Arizona.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. There usually is some player that a team really wants and is willing to trade up for the first pick in the 2nd round. I can see us getting several picks for it and we sure have lots of holes to fill.
Those top 2nd round picks are so valued. Ist round talent at 2nd round contract price.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cards keep getting Maulers, with their strentst beinb run blocking, but not running a run friendly offense. All we can hope for is a free agent and a draftpick pan out and improve this line

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not hearing anything about our having one or two stud receivers on the roster. (Concern even greater should Larry not return).

And, unless, there's freakish improvement in the off-season, we also lack a #2 CB we can trust.

Out of our top four draft picks plus the other 6 picks in 5 - 7, our goal has to be to draft 4 OL, 2 big WR's and a CB. That leaves very little wriggle-room for a Bosa, a DT &/or a LB.

Places a lot of pressure on other FA moves we'll need to make in the offseason.

Or we may have to trade down. A few possible strategies: 1. Make a list of Can't Miss players and don't trade down any farther than the last guy on the list. 2. (This strategy is reminscent of the one by carried out by Parcells in the Eric Dickerson draft) - Negotiate a deal to drop one or two picks in exchange for extra picks. Negotiate another similar deal. Keep repeating the process, dropping a pick or two in exchange for more picks. 3. (The Ditka NO - Wash Deal): Trade all your picks for the opportunity to draft Ricky Williams. (LOL).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not hearing anything about our having one or two stud receivers on the roster. (Concern even greater should Larry not return).

And, unless, there's freakish improvement in the off-season, we also lack a #2 CB we can trust.

Out of our top four draft picks plus the other 6 picks in 5 - 7, our goal has to be to draft 4 OL, 2 big WR's and a CB. That leaves very little wriggle-room for a Bosa, a DT &/or a LB.

Places a lot of pressure on other FA moves we'll need to make in the offseason.

Or we may have to trade down. A few possible strategies: 1. Make a list of Can't Miss players and don't trade down any farther than the last guy on the list. 2. (This strategy is reminscent of the one by carried out by Parcells in the Eric Dickerson draft) - Negotiate a deal to drop one or two picks in exchange for extra picks. Negotiate another similar deal. Keep repeating the process, dropping a pick or two in exchange for more picks. 3. (The Ditka NO - Wash Deal): Trade all your picks for the opportunity to draft Ricky Williams. (LOL).
there are not enough roster spots to draft 4 OL. It would be a waste. Also, if you really want to have a crappy draft, draft only for immediate need. If you have to pass on top end players at premium positions in the draft, you are doing FA wrong. I'm not against the possibility of trading down, but it really depends on how far down you have to go. The only real problem with trading down is that you have to hit on your picks. I like the idea of pairing Bosa with Jones. I see it as similar to Chargers/Bears D with having two really good edge rushers. One way to support a young QB is having a defense that can hold the other team under 24 points.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson