How do we build our offensive line?

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Look at what happened with the Colts this year, they protected Luck. Same with the Seahawks. They protected Wilson. Either way, isn’t a great offensive line the key to everything else working?

Draft? Free agency? Trade?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think for some reason our OC's have a lot to do with line failure. we have had some talented guys...they play like crap here then go play decent elsewhere.
I was putting it on the oline coach... but this guy that wilks brought in was supposed to be one of the best.......and it sure didnt show on this squad.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Just like HC, there is no exact formula for OL.

You typically won't have luck drafting 5 guys in Rd 1, signing all veteran OL, or just coaching up mid/late round picks.

You always hear that continuity/playing games together is the most important factor. Obviously scheme, talent, and coaching play a part as well.

If Barksdale (no sacks in 20+ games in a row) can be re-signed for a reasonable amount, you have a bit of stability going into next year.

LT - Humphries (Cunningham is back-up option if/when DJ misses games)
LG - Pugh (his best games in career have been LG). Have to hope he can play better.
C - Cole (needs to add strength)
RG - Open
RT - Barkdsale

We will have better depth next year with Gosset, Holdin, and Cunningham.

Does anyone have access to OL stats for pressures?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think for some reason our OC's have a lot to do with line failure. we have had some talented guys...they play like crap here then go play decent elsewhere.
I was putting it on the oline coach... but this guy that wilks brought in was supposed to be one of the best.......and it sure didnt show on this squad.

They need to stay healthy we were playing with guys off the street midway through the season.

It's a pretty bad O-Line class this year but I still say take the best one on the board in round 2.

Gonna have to buy em and trade for em but we have to keep Rosen upright. I don't care who you are you not gonna suceed when your running for your life

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would the Cards ever consider moving DJ inside to guard?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
They need to stay healthy we were playing with guys off the street midway through the season.

It's a pretty bad O-Line class this year but I still say take the best one on the board in round 2.

Gonna have to buy em and trade for em but we have to keep Rosen upright. I don't care who you are you not gonna suceed when your running for your life

weak oline class... but very strong TE class...I was hoping we take the best TE on the board in round 2

helps with blocking and also provides a safety blanket for our young QB

I am all on board for Albert O if he is still available.

my guess is the strength of the dline players is going to make a guy like him slide to the second round

on the other hand, the very best OT in this draft is barely worth that 33 pick

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I am feeling the opposite way.

None of the TE's coming out are as good as Kittle and he went in rd 5. There are several solid TE's that can be had in round 4-5 and TE is just not that big of a factor for most teams. We definitely need to cut Gresham.

I think that there will be a very solid O lineman that falls to 33 along with some other positions of need. A lot will depend on FA but I am still an advocate of BPA.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On offense far more than on defense, you need to have all hands pulling the same direction. Although they may all be talented, and incongruous OC and QB and O line spells a sputtering offense. Talent needs to match scheme, and you need a healthy dose of good luck staying injury free.
A successful O Line is an uninjured one. Doesn't even have to be the best guys, but they need to stay intact, as was stated above. Cohesion is everything, especially if they are a physical match for the type of offense called (ZBS vs power man, etc).
Our most successful season in the Warner era featured guys starting on the line like Lyle Sendlein, Deuce Lutui, and Mike Gandy. None are hall of fame types, but that season they all stayed healthy and started the whole year.

Do you think that Humphries, Cole, Barksdale, Pugh, and one monster guard addition could form a solid line, if they stay healthy?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OL has to be a #1 priority.

By now we should have learned that shortcuts don't work. Our objective must be to be first-rate across the front-five with three backups who can start for us if necessary and three quality PS linemen who can be developed and can step up if need be.

Try to cut corners and get by with iffy or second-rate talent and it will come back to bite you every time.

Similar comparisons can be made at WR and CB (& DL) but we gotta start somewhere - & OL is where we need to start.

(Note - I'd rather have a first rate OL and holes at WR and CB than meh OL, WR and CB).

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
First the Cards must establish what they have. I think Shipley returns as center. Cole showed some ability but he must bear down and get stronger. He was only effective when he could square up an opponent. If he just got a piece of them they ran right by him. He continued to display durability. Pugh was not durable but has looked better in the past at LG. He is not durable but his contract assures him a roster spot. Barksdale is a versatile lineman but likely better suited to a backup role at this stage of his career. Cunningham looks like a decent backup at tackle. I’d let Humphries go, only can play LT, not durable and not consistent. He’s likely not strong enough to move inside.

The next step is free agency. There will be cuts and some re-signs. The best guy out there is Saffold. He’d be worth signing. He’d be better at RG but could play some RT, but not as the every day starter.

Finally, I’m in favor of drafting a RT. A trade down could facilitate that or a round 2 pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am feeling the opposite way.

None of the TE's coming out are as good as Kittle and he went in rd 5. There are several solid TE's that can be had in round 4-5 and TE is just not that big of a factor for most teams. We definitely need to cut Gresham.

I think that there will be a very solid O lineman that falls to 33 along with some other positions of need. A lot will depend on FA but I am still an advocate of BPA.
We don’t know that. I’m pretty 49er fans or even draft analysts didn’t know that prior to the season.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have to add 2 guys. I believe we need to be strong up the middle. A solid right guard ( Ramon Foster from the Steelers) would be my guy. Another guard to replace Pugh when not if he gets hurt and resign barksdale. Add a good blocking TE and most important the best o-line coach on the planet. Do this and we will be on our way to solving this problem.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
1. DJ Hump is scheduled to make $9.5mm next year. Not crazy, but not cheap either. Super expensive if you only get 10 games out of him.

Curious what a $9mm annual cap charge can get you in FA.

2. On the draft, and based purely on various website rankings: it seems there are only a couple / three first round o-line prospects

--but then about 10 2nd round guys -- including 3 (iirc) Wisconsin linemen all ranked in that 33-64 overall band.

3. It would sure be nice if Cole showed up next year and took the next step. Is it too much to ask to have 1 decent piece of the o-line you can count on.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
1. DJ Hump is scheduled to make $9.5mm next year. Not crazy, but not cheap either. Super expensive if you only get 10 games out of him.

Curious what a $9mm annual cap charge can get you in FA.

Nate Solder just signed last year as starting LT for 15m/year (4 years/62m).I wouldn't call him elite.

Taylor Lewan signed for 5 years/80m (16m/year) and would generally be considered better than Solder.

Problem - there really isn't much on the FA market for LT's.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This just says you knew about Kittle & were high on him prior to the draft. This doesn’t prove that none of these TEs in a loaded TE class aren’t as good as Kittle.

I’m very high on two, though. Dawson Knox out of Ole Miss & Isaac Nauta out of Georgia.

My point is there is no need to take a TE in rd 1 or 2. You can get good ones later.

Too much of a gamble (transition to NFL, usage, etc) to take early.

Jermain Gresham was a 1st round pick (he got picked before Gronk). We took nicked glass in rd 2.

Travis Kelce was a 3rd. SF gets Kittle in rd 5.

There are very few TE stars but you can get adequate production in the middle rounds (easily upgrade from Gresham).

I like Nauta as well...he is similar to Kittle.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First the Cards must establish what they have. I think Shipley returns as center. Cole showed some ability but he must bear down and get stronger. He was only effective when he could square up an opponent. If he just got a piece of them they ran right by him. He continued to display durability. Pugh was not durable but has looked better in the past at LG. He is not durable but his contract assures him a roster spot. Barksdale is a versatile lineman but likely better suited to a backup role at this stage of his career. Cunningham looks like a decent backup at tackle. I’d let Humphries go, only can play LT, not durable and not consistent. He’s likely not strong enough to move inside.

The next step is free agency. There will be cuts and some re-signs. The best guy out there is Saffold. He’d be worth signing. He’d be better at RG but could play some RT, but not as the every day starter.

Finally, I’m in favor of drafting a RT. A trade down could facilitate that or a round 2 pick.

If not Humphries than who?

We can't go into the draft without at least one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think that Humphries, Cole, Barksdale, Pugh, and one monster guard addition could form a solid line, if they stay healthy?

This is an unanswerable question because Humphries and Pugh can't stay healthy to save their lives.

I'd dump Hump at this point. paying 9 million dollars to an average LT who plays 8 games a year not only puts you in a bad position at the most important position on the line, it sucks up 9 million dollars that could be spent elsewhere to improve the team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what Hump graded out when he did play?

does it matter since he can't stay healthy? 27 starts out of 48 games... and that's not even counting his complete O-fer in his rookie year.

Nor does it take into account being oft-injured in college as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn