So what is your solution?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Then you clearly aren’t paying attention. Aren’t I. The game forums and don’t watch post game analysis lol
Your hatred for our franchise QB is remarkable. Hope he’s traded to a team w a relevant OC abs Oline

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Look, we might not be the juggernaut we thought when we were 8-0 but we are not as bad as we looked Sunday.

So what’s your suggestion of what to do here. Not just this guy sucks or Kingsbury sucks or it’s hopeless. I really respect many( most) of the members on this board. YOU are now the head coach. What are you going to do to turn this around?

I’ll start.
1. Change, not overhaul. I’m going to put Kyler under center to start the game.
2. I’m going to keep their personnel on the field. That means I’m not going to change our personnel every play.
3. I’m going to huddle a whole lot more and go hurry up after nice gains and not give them the chance to change their personnel.
4. I’m going to have at least one Wr/rb running a 5 yard crossing route.
5. Utilize Ertz to the max.
6. I’m going to run the play clock down almost every play.
7. Forget the logistics. Take the points early in games. Don’t fertilize their confidence.
8. I’m going to exploit their biggest weakness over and over again until they stop us, THEN I’ll adjust.
9. I’m going to commit to stopping their run game. At times I’ll have 5 man D-line.

I don’t pretend to be an expert. However, watching the game for nearly 60 years I know we can’t continue down the path we are going.

Please don’t reply with “ no chance” answers. I REALLY want to tap into you knowledge and theory of this crazy game.
My suggestion is this. I'm gonna sit down, turn on the TV, and watch the game Saturday night. I'm not sweating it at all. After watching this team for almost 50 years I realize anything can happen. I took a chill pill before the season started and I'm good.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You guys are foolish if you think running the ball behind this offensive line is the solution. Our interior line is the worse in the league without Hudson and not even above mediocre with Hudson. There’s been a few times where we have shined on the run game in certain scenarios, but this is not a ground and pound team.
I do not agree. To run the ball for a OL is even more important than the traditional stance on a back getting a feel for the game. I have seen this OL run block well feeding off a back like Conner and that physicality. This OL seldom has a chance to get in a constant mode required to run which any OL loves to do because you have an advantage of being the first to react, basic physics unless it's Aaron Donald and you do not have the caliber of a Hudson on him. Even at the high school level, a OL cannot run block if it's not consistent effort when you're constantly stepping back in pass coverage

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
That is true but some of the kyler running for his life stuff is on Kyler too, K9 pointed out there's a play in the Detroit game where he makes a great throw on the run to Green for a first down. But if you can find the replay Ertz was literally waving his hand wide open at the start of that play, he might have gotten as much yards as Green did without all the effort if Kyler saw him.

It will be interesting this week if Rondale's ankle keeps him out who plays Isabella or Dortsch? and if it's Andy, who knows the offense by now, will they possibly use him on on some plays we haven't used Rondale on because he knows the offense better? Not saying he's better than Rondale he's not even close IMO, but because he knows the offense better maybe we'll have more plays available to him than seem to be available to Rondale
I noted 5 plays where he didn’t see a wide open receiver. Twice it was Ertz, once Murray was scrambling and threw the ball away when he wasn’t in danger and the receiver was about 15 yards right in front of him. When’s the last time you saw him stand in and take a hit to get a completion. That level of toughness is part of this game.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your hatred for our franchise QB is remarkable. Hope he’s traded to a team w a relevant OC abs Oline

Oh look others see it too… and those others actually worked in the nfl and are respected for their football knowledge.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They do get open though. Kyler just doesn’t see them. It’s pointed out literally all the time. Not only by folks here but many national guys will show replays and be baffled at why he isn’t taking the easy open which are there A LOT. Thats not to say we shouldn’t run. But let’s not act like he doesn’t have people to throw to because he does.
This. He seems to sometimes focus on the guys that are most covered. The first interception of the Rams game seemed to be this case. The throw towards Ertz had the most traffic between him and receiver. It seemed he had a wide open Hopkins coming across from the left flat.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noted 5 plays where he didn’t see a wide open receiver. Twice it was Ertz, once Murray was scrambling and threw the ball away when he wasn’t in danger and the receiver was about 15 yards right in front of him. When’s the last time you saw him stand in and take a hit to get a completion. That level of toughness is part of this game.

I said it a few times in the game I want to see him stand in there longer. I don't necessarily want to see him get hit we don't want him to get hurt.

I will add again, part of the problem IMO is the design of the offense, Kyler often is throwing from short drops, which as well as height is IMO why he has so many batted balls, he's throwing close to the LOS more than anybody else does.

It's also I think why he does that duck out and run or back up stuff because when he gets the ball he's closer to the LOS so there's less pocket to step up into.

But part of that problem is on him, when it's a short drop, or in our case no drop the ball has to come out quickly or he has to run, he can't stand there and hold the ball because he's so close to the LOS it's too easy for the pass rush to get there or impact the throw.

He's improved dramatically from the pocket this year, and on the run. The Rams game I think people are making it sound much worse than it was for him. he didn't have any TD's and he brainfarted at the end with the no spike but Brady is the only QB in the NFL to throw for more yards against the Rams than Kyler did, and he lost too.

Only two QB this season have beaten the Rams in a game where the QB actually played a huge role in the win, Kyler and Rodgers. SF ran all over them. The Titans threw for less than 150 yards against them in their win. The 2 picks were huge otherwise we win that game IMO.

That's what Kyler has to stop doing the picks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. He seems to sometimes focus on the guys that are most covered. The first interception of the Rams game seemed to be this case. The throw towards Ertz had the most traffic between him and receiver. It seemed he had a wide open Hopkins coming across from the left flat.

I don't remember Hop there but I still say Ertz is open. In the NFL that's an open pass and as Kyler said post game that's a TD if Donald doesn't make such a great play. The 2nd one was a great play too but a terrible play by Kyler I think even if he got the ball over the DE it was either going to be incomplete or picked by someone else because it had so little on it.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Look, we might not be the juggernaut we thought when we were 8-0 but we are not as bad as we looked Sunday.

So what’s your suggestion of what to do here. Not just this guy sucks or Kingsbury sucks or it’s hopeless. I really respect many( most) of the members on this board. YOU are now the head coach. What are you going to do to turn this around?

I’ll start.
1. Change, not overhaul. I’m going to put Kyler under center to start the game.
2. I’m going to keep their personnel on the field. That means I’m not going to change our personnel every play.
3. I’m going to huddle a whole lot more and go hurry up after nice gains and not give them the chance to change their personnel.
4. I’m going to have at least one Wr/rb running a 5 yard crossing route.
5. Utilize Ertz to the max.
6. I’m going to run the play clock down almost every play.
7. Forget the logistics. Take the points early in games. Don’t fertilize their confidence.
8. I’m going to exploit their biggest weakness over and over again until they stop us, THEN I’ll adjust.
9. I’m going to commit to stopping their run game. At times I’ll have 5 man D-line.

I don’t pretend to be an expert. However, watching the game for nearly 60 years I know we can’t continue down the path we are going.

Please don’t reply with “ no chance” answers. I REALLY want to tap into you knowledge and theory of this crazy game.
Great post, I will add one more, give one, two the most, no what if ... then... BULL, task for all my defense players and let each of them do what they do the best (Jones pass rushes, Dennard sets the edge, Philips clogs the gap, Hciks blitz, Simmons covers, etc) not the other way around.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's not only Taylor that gives me nightmares but the fact that they have two other capable backs in Hines and Mack behind him. I would not be surprised to see Cox the TE have a big game. At 6'-5" and 267 lbs, I don't see any of our safeties matching up well against him especially in the red zone.
Damn, I totally forget Marlon Mack. He was a stud in his rookie season.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1--VJ has to scrap his defensive game plan, change his philosophy, and adapt to circumstances. He doesn't have the horses to stop the run, so he has to stop being cute with his LBers and bring them up in run support. Bring BB closer to the line of scrimmage. He isn't getting a pass rush, so get creative with blitz packages. I have zero faith he'll even think about changing, but this is a must.

2--KK has to change up his game planning and push KM out of his bad habits. Put him in circumstances to succeed. Why does he have to clap at home? Stop that nonsense now so you don't foreshadow to the defense. As someone mentioned, get him under center. Bootleg him. Design plays to hold up and check the blitz. And, for God's sake, enough with the negative yardage passing! Again, zero faith any of this will happen.

I'm really getting a Ken Whisenhunt (sp?) vibe out of this coaching staff, a "The system works" and screw doing anything different mentality. And that's utterly stupid.
Exactly, Baker is never good in coverage, so why the heck does not use him to his strength?

Kyler is the only QB in the entire NFL who does clap as far as I can recall. Every other, even rookies change to verbal count getting into NFL. There must be a reason why everyone is doing one thing in the exact same way. Your vocal can either confuse the opposing defense or bring your offense player onto the same page pre-snap. Talking about away game crowd noise, heck I don't believe a clap can't be louder than a yell/shout. Murray must have some verbal communication phobia to avoid using vocal. Maybe he is protecting his vocal for some future careers like video game streaming host.

The last one, can't agree more.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That is true but some of the kyler running for his life stuff is on Kyler too, K9 pointed out there's a play in the Detroit game where he makes a great throw on the run to Green for a first down. But if you can find the replay Ertz was literally waving his hand wide open at the start of that play, he might have gotten as much yards as Green did without all the effort if Kyler saw him.

It will be interesting this week if Rondale's ankle keeps him out who plays Isabella or Dortsch? and if it's Andy, who knows the offense by now, will they possibly use him on on some plays we haven't used Rondale on because he knows the offense better? Not saying he's better than Rondale he's not even close IMO, but because he knows the offense better maybe we'll have more plays available to him than seem to be available to Rondale
Maybe the ghost pass rusher whom Darnold used to see transplants to AZ during the wintertime every year like all other NY snowbirds, and Kyler starts to see them. That might explain why Kyler's play starts to fall off around this time of the year every year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly, Baker is never good in coverage, so why the heck does not use him to his strength?

Kyler is the only QB in the entire NFL who does clap as far as I can recall. Every other, even rookies change to verbal count getting into NFL. There must be a reason why everyone is doing one thing in the exact same way. Your vocal can either confuse the opposing defense or bring your offense player onto the same page pre-snap. Talking about away game crowd noise, heck I don't believe a clap can't be louder than a yell/shout. Murray must have some verbal communication phobia to avoid using vocal. Maybe he is protecting his vocal for some future careers like video game streaming host.

The last one, can't agree more.

It's not that you can hear Kyler calling out plays and audibles and stuff like every other QB does. I think the clap thing is Kliff that's part of his offense just like the short drops and all the screens are.

The more I see of Kyler the less I think he fits into the "air raid" even though I would argue we're not an actual air raid team. Kyler has a great arm and likes to throw the ball downfield more. I think he'd be better in a system that did less lateral and more vertical routes, but also had the underneath stuff.

And I strongly believe he'd be better if we took deeper normal drops so he's not always throwing so close to the LOS, I think he'd go backwards far less if the drop was deeper in the first place. I think he'd be good under Center too but I suspect that one is on him because Colt took snaps under C in the 3 games he played, not all of them but several in each game.

Kliff has adjusted he uses more 2 TE's, he runs the ball better than I expected and other things. I think next season assuming he's still the coach and I think he will be, he should work on some of the other stuff. Get Kyler under Center now and then, don't do so much short drop quick passes he's under 6 feet tall the closer he is to the LOS when he throws it the more likely it will get tipped by the DL.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My guess is that would never be in his game or mind, cause that was not how his dad taught and trained him. His dad was a star QB in Texas A&M (Texas A&M HOF and Cotton Bowl HOF) but all the injuries kills his NFL career (went undrafted and started as UFDA because all team concerned about his health with lingering ankle issues). I say we will more likely to see Murray go play baseball than him taking a hit to get a completion.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that would never be in his game or mind, cause that was not how his dad taught and trained him. His dad was a star QB in Texas A&M (Texas A&M HOF and Cotton Bowl HOF) but all the injuries kills his NFL career (went undrafted and started as UFDA because all team concerned about his health with lingering ankle issues). I say we will more likely to see Murray go play baseball than him taking a hit to get a completion.
I don't think it was ever a secret that Murray was going to be a different kind of QB. He wasn't going to play like a Warner or a Palmer. Ever. The team clearly hasn't put pressure on him to play like that. It's going to be a success his style or it won't be a success his style.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's not that you can hear Kyler calling out plays and audibles and stuff like every other QB does. I think the clap thing is Kliff that's part of his offense just like the short drops and all the screens are.

The more I see of Kyler the less I think he fits into the "air raid" even though I would argue we're not an actual air raid team. Kyler has a great arm and likes to throw the ball downfield more. I think he'd be better in a system that did less lateral and more vertical routes, but also had the underneath stuff.

And I strongly believe he'd be better if we took deeper normal drops so he's not always throwing so close to the LOS, I think he'd go backwards far less if the drop was deeper in the first place. I think he'd be good under Center too but I suspect that one is on him because Colt took snaps under C in the 3 games he played, not all of them but several in each game.

Kliff has adjusted he uses more 2 TE's, he runs the ball better than I expected and other things. I think next season assuming he's still the coach and I think he will be, he should work on some of the other stuff. Get Kyler under Center now and then, don't do so much short drop quick passes he's under 6 feet tall the closer he is to the LOS when he throws it the more likely it will get tipped by the DL.
I really like your post. It provides rich football wisdom. I just have this question would like to discuss with you. I saw Murray takes extra deep drops more than short drops unless they were called lateral or screen plays. I recall a discussion on this board that whether Murray taking deep drops made it hard for our tackles to form the pocket cause they have to kick back further than they used to. Thanks.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Cutting down on penalties would be helpful. Three roughing the passer penalties and a personal foul by Simmons. Add a couple false starts and it is 70 yards of stupidity.

On offense, put Edmonds and James Conner on the field together as much as possible. Minimize the snaps of 2 worthless backup tight ends who can't block or catch or run.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like your post. It provides rich football wisdom. I just have this question would like to discuss with you. I saw Murray takes extra deep drops more than short drops unless they were called lateral or screen plays. I recall a discussion on this board that whether Murray taking deep drops made it hard for our tackles to form the pocket cause they have to kick back further than they used to. Thanks.

I mean designed. I think those really deep ones are the ones he does on his own when he gets rushed.

One of the things Colt did really well in his 2 wins was short drop get the ball out quickly.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cutting down on penalties would be helpful. Three roughing the passer penalties and a personal foul by Simmons. Add a couple false starts and it is 70 yards of stupidity.

On offense, put Edmonds and James Conner on the field together as much as possible. Minimize the snaps of 2 worthless backup tight ends who can't block or catch or run.
Yes. I would like to see more two backs.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1. More exotic blitz packages/creativity by VJ to generate additional QB pressure
2. Kliff needs to have some kind of intervention with Kyler about taking what the D gives him, so many missed layups these last few weeks
3. Run the damn ball more

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

This 120%!!! KK loves himself some Daniels play. Daniels can't block, can't catch, can't even line-up right. He is worse than Ricky Seals-Jones.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson