So what is your solution?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, we might not be the juggernaut we thought when we were 8-0 but we are not as bad as we looked Sunday.

So what’s your suggestion of what to do here. Not just this guy sucks or Kingsbury sucks or it’s hopeless. I really respect many( most) of the members on this board. YOU are now the head coach. What are you going to do to turn this around?

I’ll start.
1. Change, not overhaul. I’m going to put Kyler under center to start the game.
2. I’m going to keep their personnel on the field. That means I’m not going to change our personnel every play.
3. I’m going to huddle a whole lot more and go hurry up after nice gains and not give them the chance to change their personnel.
4. I’m going to have at least one Wr/rb running a 5 yard crossing route.
5. Utilize Ertz to the max.
6. I’m going to run the play clock down almost every play.
7. Forget the logistics. Take the points early in games. Don’t fertilize their confidence.
8. I’m going to exploit their biggest weakness over and over again until they stop us, THEN I’ll adjust.
9. I’m going to commit to stopping their run game. At times I’ll have 5 man D-line.

I don’t pretend to be an expert. However, watching the game for nearly 60 years I know we can’t continue down the path we are going.

Please don’t reply with “ no chance” answers. I REALLY want to tap into you knowledge and theory of this crazy game.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Look, we might not be the juggernaut we thought when we were 8-0 but we are not as bad as we looked Sunday.

So what’s your suggestion of what to do here. Not just this guy sucks or Kingsbury sucks or it’s hopeless. I really respect many( most) of the members on this board. YOU are now the head coach. What are you going to do to turn this around?

I’ll start.
2. I’m going to keep their personnel on the field. That means I’m not going to change our personnel every play.
3. I’m going to huddle a whole lot more and go hurry up after nice gains and not give them the chance to change their personnel.
7. Forget the logistics. Take the points early in games. Don’t fertilize their confidence.
8. I’m going to exploit their biggest weakness over and over again until they stop us, THEN I’ll adjust.
9. I’m going to commit to stopping their run game. At times I’ll have 5 man D-line.

I don’t pretend to be an expert. However, watching the game for nearly 60 years I know we can’t continue down the path we are going.

Please don’t reply with “ no chance” answers. I REALLY want to tap into you knowledge and theory of this crazy game.
The Rams turned things around once they decided to stop going 3-4 WR, and got back to running the ball. Not to go all SMEL here, but we need to run the damn ball. Our WR are unreliable and don't get open.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Many here don't seem to want to accept the fact that, while we all would like to believe you can play our style of football all season long, the reality - which has been more than proven over decades and certainly, more acutely here in AZ since the arrival of Kliff and Kyler - is that December NFL football requires adjustments and requires a certain brand of football, as opposed to the first half of the season. Why is this?

- Weather
- Injuries begin to creep in and become a real factor
- Opposing teams have more film on you. They learn and make adjustments

So while Kliff and Kyler look like HOF material early in the season, they have yet to prove they can deal with the brand of football the NFL requires later in the season.

All that said, I agree with all 9 of your points. Do I have any confidence in Kliff and Kyler humbling themselves and making those adjustments? Heck no... But I like your ideas.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Christmas miracles always happen during this time of the year. Candy canes anyone?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I’ll start.

I like the under center part...Keep in mind, if you huddle or make a substitution, you are allowing the defense to substitute. I would go semi-hurry up. Sugar huddles, like the old K-Gun offense of the Bills. The Cardinals offense needs to go back to dictating the action to the defense, not just seeing what works and doesn't work. To me, this is more about confidence from the top down, than anything else.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Slan, all of your suggestions are damn good ones. However for me this is a mentality issue for the Cardinals. A turnaround will come through reminding this team how they arrived to this point and that it was NOT luck in establishing the good start. For whatever reason, we are not playing with confidence, not playing smart, and not playing to our strengths as a team. The cuteness on offense is really inking my nerves. Looking at the Tennesse/Cleveland games particularly, we really stood out as a team that knew how to put players in optimal positions offensively and defensively. KK, and Vance have got to get back to basics and formulate a winning game plan. Detroit was not an accident. We were outcoached and outmuscled from the kickoff. This Colt game is our season IMO. Jonathan Taylor gives me nightmares, but we can handle Carson Wentz. Gut check time!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rams turned things around once they decided to stop going 3-4 WR, and got back to running the ball. Not to go all SMEL here, but we need to run the damn ball. Our WR are unreliable and don't get open.
They do get open though. Kyler just doesn’t see them. It’s pointed out literally all the time. Not only by folks here but many national guys will show replays and be baffled at why he isn’t taking the easy open which are there A LOT. Thats not to say we shouldn’t run. But let’s not act like he doesn’t have people to throw to because he does.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Slan, all of your suggestions are damn good ones. However for me this is a mentality issue for the Cardinals. A turnaround will come through reminding this team how they arrived to this point and that it was NOT luck in establishing the good start. For whatever reason, we are not playing with confidence, not playing smart, and not playing to our strengths as a team. The cuteness on offense is really inking my nerves. Looking at the Tennesse/Cleveland games particularly, we really stood out as a team that knew how to put players in optimal positions offensively and defensively. KK, and Vance have got to get back to basics and formulate a winning game plan. Detroit was not an accident. We were outcoached and outmuscled from the kickoff. This Colt game is our season IMO. Jonathan Taylor gives me nightmares, but we can handle Carson Wentz. Gut check time!
It's not only Taylor that gives me nightmares but the fact that they have two other capable backs in Hines and Mack behind him. I would not be surprised to see Cox the TE have a big game. At 6'-5" and 267 lbs, I don't see any of our safeties matching up well against him especially in the red zone.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
1--VJ has to scrap his defensive game plan, change his philosophy, and adapt to circumstances. He doesn't have the horses to stop the run, so he has to stop being cute with his LBers and bring them up in run support. Bring BB closer to the line of scrimmage. He isn't getting a pass rush, so get creative with blitz packages. I have zero faith he'll even think about changing, but this is a must.

2--KK has to change up his game planning and push KM out of his bad habits. Put him in circumstances to succeed. Why does he have to clap at home? Stop that nonsense now so you don't foreshadow to the defense. As someone mentioned, get him under center. Bootleg him. Design plays to hold up and check the blitz. And, for God's sake, enough with the negative yardage passing! Again, zero faith any of this will happen.

I'm really getting a Ken Whisenhunt (sp?) vibe out of this coaching staff, a "The system works" and screw doing anything different mentality. And that's utterly stupid.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's not only Taylor that gives me nightmares but the fact that they have two other capable backs in Hines and Mack behind him. I would not be surprised to see Cox the TE have a big game. At 6'-5" and 267 lbs, I don't see any of our safeties matching up well against him especially in the red zone.
Add to that the Colts O line against our faltering pass rush/inability to not get shoved off the line, and it could get ugly.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I would study very closely the Titans game and the first Rams game. How did we shut down the best RB in the league? How did we make the best DT in football fairly ineffective? How can we best replace the production of Watt/DHop? That's about all I got as an armchair HC...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually don't want to run the clock down unless we have a lead and are shortening the game, or we've had the defense on the field often and we want to give them more rest.

I like the hurry up to wear out their defense, just not all the time you have to rest OUR defense too.

The problem with under Center is I don't think we practice it with Kyler so I don't think we can just flip a switch and go play the Colts with him under Center. We could with McCoy but I don't think that's the answer. i think that stuff should have been done in the offseason and camp. I think it's something that holds back the offense. I get that we don't want him doing QB sneaks on short yardage because of his size, but you can do all sorts of stuff with him under center I just don't think we ever practice it.

I tried to find a site that tracked that, I'm sure they have it I just couldn't easily find it to see how many he's taken compared to how many Colt took.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should add I know it's counter to NFL philosophy but given the issues what I want to see is us win the coin toss, take the ball and say OK Kyler we're going to go right down the field and score on them. I know everyone defers to get it to start the 2nd half but the 2nd half opening drives have not been our strength anyways. We seem to have a confidence issue right now so let's do the most confident thing and say we want the ball and we don't think you can stop us.

If we lose the flip we'll get the ball anyways since they will defer.

I've been talking about stopping the run and Taylor coming up for weeks. The big thing with him is all the big runs, he busts a long one damn near every week. guys like Simmons constantly overrunning plays is the big issue this week. You have to have discipline on the run game, and make Wentz beat you. he's actually having a very good year but he will give you 2-3 chances a game you just have to catch the ball when he does.

Even in the Detroit game that one drive Simmons drops a pick that's giving us the ball in teh redzone, then doesn't get Goff down later in the drive and he throws a TD pass on it. When you get a chance to make a play, make it

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
They do get open though. Kyler just doesn’t see them. It’s pointed out literally all the time. Not only by folks here but many national guys will show replays and be baffled at why he isn’t taking the easy open which are there A LOT. Thats not to say we shouldn’t run. But let’s not act like he doesn’t have people to throw to because he does.
I'm seeing Kyler run for his life a lot more than receivers running unguarded.

Who do you trust at this point? Kirk keeps dropping passes. Green is often in the wrong spot or shows poor effort, and almost never on the same page as Murray. Moore is used in a very limited manner and often on gadget plays.

Does it surprise you that a guy like Wesley (who was watching games like us at the beginning of the season) is getting the same amount of touches as our top receivers?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
1. More even balance run vs. pass.

2. Blitz a little more, even if it's risky. Not sure we have a lot to lose.

3. Take points when they're there early in games.

4. Get Moore more into the route tree. How about some crossing patterns for him?

5. Don't return kickoffs any more, at least for the rest of the year.

But it's more than this. It's about being focused and ready to play with an overall good game plan. I'm pretty sure we didn't have this against the Lions.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. Run Murray more.

2. Run chase Edmonds more.

3. Run Conner more.

4. Limit pass attempts to less than 20.

5. Don't let Murray throw the ball more than 5-7 times in second half.

6. Take field goals.

7. Play Zaven in the box in first and second downs.

8. Question your fandom to this team.

9. Play zone in the secondary.

10. Diet sodas are bad?

11. Did you get choked up watching No way home?

12. Stop the run on 1st down.

13. Stop the run on 2nd down.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Score more points than the Colts.

2. The details don't matter.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Run the ball

Stop the run

Pressure/Hit the QB as often as possible.

Its been the winning formula in the NFL for a long time, and despite all the new ideas brought to the table...this formula almost always proves to be the most successful

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing Kyler run for his life a lot more than receivers running unguarded.

Who do you trust at this point? Kirk keeps dropping passes. Green is often in the wrong spot or shows poor effort, and almost never on the same page as Murray. Moore is used in a very limited manner and often on gadget plays.

Does it surprise you that a guy like Wesley (who was watching games like us at the beginning of the season) is getting the same amount of touches as our top receivers?

That is true but some of the kyler running for his life stuff is on Kyler too, K9 pointed out there's a play in the Detroit game where he makes a great throw on the run to Green for a first down. But if you can find the replay Ertz was literally waving his hand wide open at the start of that play, he might have gotten as much yards as Green did without all the effort if Kyler saw him.

It will be interesting this week if Rondale's ankle keeps him out who plays Isabella or Dortsch? and if it's Andy, who knows the offense by now, will they possibly use him on on some plays we haven't used Rondale on because he knows the offense better? Not saying he's better than Rondale he's not even close IMO, but because he knows the offense better maybe we'll have more plays available to him than seem to be available to Rondale

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I watch every game from start to finish and hardly ever here Kyler missed this guy wide open.. what I do see is wide open WRs in the better offensive schemes of KC, TB, Chargers, etc etc

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You guys are foolish if you think running the ball behind this offensive line is the solution. Our interior line is the worse in the league without Hudson and not even above mediocre with Hudson. There’s been a few times where we have shined on the run game in certain scenarios, but this is not a ground and pound team.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watch every game from start to finish and hardly ever here Kyler missed this guy wide open.. what I do see is wide open WRs in the better offensive schemes of KC, TB, Chargers, etc etc
Then you clearly aren’t paying attention. Aren’t in The game forums and don’t watch post game analysis lol

Multiples of times we’ve had WRs runnning wide open And commentator specifically mention they can’t believe he didn’t throw to the other receiver he’ll take the covered up one and try to make the most difficult throw with so many others open. HE NEVER SEES THEM

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson