Cardinals at Brown gameday thread 10-17-2021

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Nope!

As interim coach, league awarded all W-L to Chuck Pagano
and record is not reflected in career totals
I remember something like this when Don Shula was chasing George Halas’ all-time coaching record. I think Halas had been awarded a few victories during WWII despite not being physically at the games.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
2013 was the first Bowles D... after the first four games, they were hardest hitting D I’ve ever seen from the Cards. 2014 was solid too.

This one has the nastiness to get to that level.
I think it was on Bickley and Marotta this morning that they said it's the hardest hitting defense any of them have seen from the Cardinals. Where I found myself agreeing, is that the cornerbacks even hit. Bowles defenses had some hard hitters, but they also started Pat Peterson who I've never seen him light anyone up.

Letting Pat P go was such a great idea in retrospect. I mean, I thought so at the time, and it looks even better now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was on Bickley and Marotta this morning that they said it's the hardest hitting defense any of them have seen from the Cardinals. Where I found myself agreeing, is that the cornerbacks even hit. Bowles defenses had some hard hitters, but they also started Pat Peterson who I've never seen him light anyone up.

Letting Pat P go was such a great idea in retrospect. I mean, I thought so at the time, and it looks even better now.
Shoulda done it a couple years earlier and fleeced someone.

Also, for all those who said PP’s tackling didnt matter, this group of corners is showing why it does. This entire team is physical. PP wasnt shutdown enough to be so weak on the run and hitting people. It set a bad tone from your leader on D, no matter what anyone says.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Shoulda done it a couple years earlier and fleeced someone.

Also, for all those who said PP’s tackling didnt matter, this group of corners is showing why it does. This entire team is physical. PP wasnt shutdown enough to be so weak on the run and hitting people. It set a bad tone from your leader on D, no matter what anyone says.
I mean, it was rare that I saw his tackling or lack thereof as a major deficiency, but there was always a few plays every year where you'd see a huge play and Peterson not making a big effort to get the tackle.

All the talk this offseason from Keim and Kliff was about adding leaders. That was a direct indictment of Patrick Peterson. I might be an indictment of Fitzgerald too. Peterson is the first guy to blame everyone else. Listen to his podcast, it's always the fault of someone else when a major mistake is made. Fitzgerald is that quiet leader type....sometimes those guys can sit back and allow all kinds of nonsense and you need a vocal leader.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, it was rare that I saw his tackling or lack thereof as a major deficiency, but there was always a few plays every year where you'd see a huge play and Peterson not making a big effort to get the tackle.

All the talk this offseason from Keim and Kliff was about adding leaders. That was a direct indictment of Patrick Peterson. I might be an indictment of Fitzgerald too. Peterson is the first guy to blame everyone else. Listen to his podcast, it's always the fault of someone else when a major mistake is made. Fitzgerald is that quiet leader type....sometimes those guys can sit back and allow all kinds of nonsense and you need a vocal leader.
He set a tone. And it wasn’t just tackling. If you were paying close attention, he wouldn’t push blocks, immediately turning away from guys coming at him or dive to the ground to take himself out of plays.

And he just wasn’t a great enough cover corner/playmaker to overlook it like Deion was.

Love having an entire secondary that is physical.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also about the last thing i would have associated or expected from a kliff coached team: he doesnt exactly scream "physical"

It’s what really gives me hope for the postseason. A team that can both fly around the field AND then grind you into the ground? That’s like a freaking dream.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
All the talk this offseason from Keim and Kliff was about adding leaders. That was a direct indictment of Patrick Peterson.
Chase Edmonds was the a Big Red Rage a week or so back -- (and he is just great to listen to BTW -- thoughtful, honest, no cliche answers on things)

he said something really interesting as it relates to last years collapse and why this year is different (my paraphrase): "a bunch of those guys from last year's locker room aren't here any more......" it was as close as i have heard a current player acknowledge that there was an issue in that regard

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember something like this when Don Shula was chasing George Halas’ all-time coaching record. I think Halas had been awarded a few victories during WWII despite not being physically at the games.
Really is a strange rule.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
also about the last thing i would have associated or expected from a kliff coached team: he doesnt exactly scream "physical"
Agree completely. Every once in awhile there's a team in the playoffs I don't see on TV during the year, nothing except highlights, then I'll see them in the playoffs and be absolutely shocked at how physical they are. I think the Cards are that team this year.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They took a veiled shot at PP (among others) during that segment - can't recall exact verbiage, but was about defenders that were soft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Chase Edmonds was the a Big Red Rage a week or so back -- (and he is just great to listen to BTW -- thoughtful, honest, no cliche answers on things)

he said something really interesting as it relates to last years collapse and why this year is different (my paraphrase): "a bunch of those guys from last year's locker room aren't here any more......" it was as close as i have heard a current player acknowledge that there was an issue in that regard
Right...who else could he be talking about? It's not like he is talking about a backup DE like Blackson.

Like I said, the controversial take would be that Fitzgerald was one of those leaders. I credit 30% of the offensive improvement to the Cardinals having a real NFL WR in Fitzgerald's place this year. I'm exaggerating a bit, but I think it was true addition by subtraction. It's hard to follow someone who is washed up.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yikes

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Right...who else could he be talking about? It's not like he is talking about a backup DE like Blackson.

Like I said, the controversial take would be that Fitzgerald was one of those leaders. I credit 30% of the offensive improvement to the Cardinals having a real NFL WR in Fitzgerald's place this year. I'm exaggerating a bit, but I think it was true addition by subtraction. It's hard to follow someone who is washed up.
Peterson's fit in this system was obviously not a good one. Couple that with his status and legacy as a Cardinal, it became clear that he was no longer an option for us at CB with the direction we were going. Similar to Fitzgerald in that regard. I wonder how much this was a point of contention between Kliff, Keim and Bidwill. Bidwill would obviously value the name power of those players more than Keim and Kliff. That is a story, but one that makes sense and I have to think Keim and Kliff ultimately convinced Bidwill that moving on was the right move.

One thing to consider is that the Cardinals have been so superstar starved as a franchise that it isn't a shock that we struggle with the decisions to keep or let these guys go. I would be really interested to have the real truth regarding Fitz this offseason because the words from the franchise didn't really fit what I believe to be their actions. I feel like Peterson's comments reflect that as well. I also think it speaks to the Cardinals lack of identity. To a degree you could argue the Patriots are on the other end of the spectrum to their detriment as well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Peterson's fit in this system was obviously not a good one. Couple that with his status and legacy as a Cardinal, it became clear that he was no longer an option for us at CB with the direction we were going. Similar to Fitzgerald in that regard. I wonder how much this was a point of contention between Kliff, Keim and Bidwill. Bidwill would obviously value the name power of those players more than Keim and Kliff. That is a story, but one that makes sense and I have to think Keim and Kliff ultimately convinced Bidwill that moving on was the right move.

One thing to consider is that the Cardinals have been so superstar starved as a franchise that it isn't a shock that we struggle with the decisions to keep or let these guys go. I would be really interested to have the real truth regarding Fitz this offseason because the words from the franchise didn't really fit what I believe to be their actions. I feel like Peterson's comments reflect that as well. I also think it speaks to the Cardinals lack of identity. To a degree you could argue the Patriots are on the other end of the spectrum to their detriment as well.
I think there is another explanation for how free agency played out in regards to Peterson:

The team changed their minds after doing their own internal review prior to the start of free agency. And it's not like Peterson was owed star treatment anymore after his diva routine over the past 3-4 years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think there is another explanation for how free agency played out in regards to Peterson:

The team changed their minds after doing their own internal review prior to the start of free agency. And it's not like Peterson was owed star treatment anymore after his diva routine over the past 3-4 years.
If we read the tea leaves, the Cardinals weren't sure what options they would have and so they kept Peterson on the hook for a potential return until they felt they had something better. I get Peterson not liking that and I think you can say he deserved to just be told his time in AZ was done prior to FA. It is a fine line for sure.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If we read the tea leaves, the Cardinals weren't sure what options they would have and so they kept Peterson on the hook for a potential return until they felt they had something better. I get Peterson not liking that and I think you can say he deserved to just be told his time in AZ was done prior to FA. It is a fine line for sure.
Here's the thing...why would the team do that? I think you sometimes have to keep people on the hook when the situation is still fluid.

What if the Cardinals best option ended up being to resign Peterson, but instead they told him prior that they were moving on? That is a situation that isn't too far out there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard