Preseason: Suns @ Kings Monday game thread 10-4-2021

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, he is getting layups, and rebounds on his own missed layups.

Just like Summer League. His rebounding numbers there were a total illusion, just as they are tonight.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do it JaVale.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I'm done with this game. McGee and Shamet look like the only decent new additions.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's taken 3 of them in the last 5 minutes and bricked them all.

The Suns want Smith to play power forward. I suspect that's why they persist having him shoot so many threes. He could hit them in college but they were more in the flow of the game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm done with this game. McGee and Shamet look like the only decent new additions.

well, those were the only additions, right? at least they look like decent ones.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Elfrid Payton just sucks. Dribbles at the top for 5 seconds than throws a bad pass or drives for his own shot. He's just as bad as I remember.

I put zero stock in Summer League but yes, Payton's statistical production has always masked what a detriment he is on both ends. A terrible shooter who dominates the ball without creating decent shots for others and a defensive turnstile.

Maybe Monty and Paul can bring him to the light, but I am not holding my breath.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Smith finishes with 13 points, 11 rebounds 2 blocks and a steal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some final stats.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns played without Paul, Booker and Crowder.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jalen Smith finishes with 13 points, 11 rebounds 2 blocks and a steal.

Complete fool's gold, just like in Summer League. Too many people, including some on this board, were focusing way too much on the simple rebounding average without paying attention to just how awful he was playing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty thinks Landry Shamet can play with any of the Suns other three main guards.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least he is not shooting threes. I have long suspected he is a center.

Sort of what I've been thinking.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This supports that Stix is more of a 5 trying to transition to the 4 position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sort of what I've been thinking.

Considering how stiff and uncoordinated, yet tall, he is, that shouldn't come as a surprise.

This team needs a 4 in the worst way. They are weak as it is at the position, and if Crowder gets hurt or in foul trouble, they're screwed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd hate for the Suns to give up on Stix because he is currently more of a center than a power forward.

Given time I think he can play both positions.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd hate for the Suns to give up on Stix because he is currently more of a center than a power forward.

Given time I think he can play both positions.

Right now, he's neither. He's definitely not a power forward, but what good is a center who can't make lay-ups?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't see a dilemma so long as Ayton knows his future is at center.

Figure out the right combination during the season.

The Suns have until the trade deadline and buyouts to strengthen the 4 position so long as they believe Jalen Smith has a future with the team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really don't see a dilemma so long as Ayton knows his future is at center.

Figure out the right combination during the season.

The Suns have until the trade deadline and buyouts to strengthen the 4 position so long as they believe Jalen Smith has a future with the team.

How many games are you prepared for Jalen Smith to cost the team before you pull the plug on forcing playing time to him?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many games are you prepared for Jalen Smith to cost the team before you pull the plug on forcing playing time to him?
We played him some last year, how many games did he cost us then?

I'm all for playing him enough to find out whether he's in our long term plans or perhaps to build up his resume enough so that we can trade him away. To be clear though I do NOT have high hopes that we'll be able to turn him into a rotation player nor am I confident we'll be able to pad his stats enough to find a rich bidder. So, we pick and choose the minutes he gets and there's no reason he'd have to cost us games in the process.

If I had to guess, I'd lean towards Jalen being somewhere else in a year or two at which point we'll just remember him as a wasted pick. It happens, and when you know it's inevitable you erase him quickly. But until you know it's inevitable, you give him what he needs to succeed and that usually includes game minutes.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We played him some last year, how many games did he cost us then?

I'm all for playing him enough to find out whether he's in our long term plans or perhaps to build up his resume enough so that we can trade him away. To be clear though I do NOT have high hopes that we'll be able to turn him into a rotation player nor am I confident we'll be able to pad his stats enough to find a rich bidder. So, we pick and choose the minutes he gets and there's no reason he'd have to cost us games in the process.

If I had to guess, I'd lean towards Jalen being somewhere else in a year or two at which point we'll just remember him as a wasted pick. It happens, and when you know it's inevitable you erase him quickly. But until you know it's inevitable, you give him what he needs to succeed and that usually includes game minutes.

Yes, what he needs to succeed are game minutes...in the G League until he shows he can at least cut it at that level. You have to be able to walk before you can run...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, what he needs to succeed are game minutes...in the G League until he shows he can at least cut it at that level. You have to be able to walk before you can run...
Yeah, if we had our own G League team I'd agree. I guess I understand the Front Office thinking regarding selling off our G League club (clearly they want veterans and have little interest in developing raw kids) but they drafted a player that absolutely needs a lot of help and he's (likely) not going to get it on someone else's G League team.