Preseason: Trail Blazers @ Suns Monday game thread, 10-16-2023

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Waiving Bol Bol and replacing him with another vet minimum player is an expensive way of doing business, but Mat Ishbia has shown no reluctance to spend.
When they signed Bol they were filling out the last roster spot, now that they are over the limit the cost to cut Bol is no more expensive than any of the other candidates.

The Suns signed him to a 1yr minimum deal, they were never invested in him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When they signed Bol they were filling out the last roster spot, now that they are over the limit the cost to cut Bol is no more expensive than any of the other candidates.

The Suns signed him to a 1yr minimum deal, they were never invested in him.

I think the totality of all salaries count towards the luxury tax because the Suns are over the second tax apron.

The Suns could keep Keon Johnson with add no additional expense if they waived Bol Bol.

The Suns can still sign vet minimum players, but I think those count towards the luxury tax. Of course, eventually the Suns will have to cut down to a 15 player standard roster.

We might be talking about different things.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does anyone else get the sense that the Suns are really underrated right now? I think they should be the clear favorites to win the championship, but most places have them rated at the 4th or 5th best team.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Does anyone else get the sense that the Suns are really underrated right now? I think they should be the clear favorites to win the championship, but most places have them rated at the 4th or 5th best team.
I agree. There is clearly a lot of media hate going on. But I also look at it as advantageous to them - extra motivation and less likely to fall into complacency. So let everyone hate on, I say.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking this for awhile.

Sports journalists, especially NBA reporters are slaves to the moment and the last meaningful game the Suns played they got embarrassed.

If the Suns continue to stack 70-80pt halves like they showed in preseason the narrative will quickly change.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The GM votes were hilarious on a lot of different fronts from titles, mvp, best offenses, etc.
And main stream media aka ESPN.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sports journalists, especially NBA reporters are slaves to the moment and the last meaningful game the Suns played they got embarrassed.

If the Suns continue to stack 70-80pt halves like they showed in preseason the narrative will quickly change.

Bill Simmons seriously asked if Bradley Beal replacing Landry Shamet really helps us vs Denver. If that isn't one of the most idiotic takes ever, I don't know what is.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Outside media is so hung up on the "Can they coexist?" question. We're going to make them eat those words.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
There is only one thing that will potentially derail this team...I'm not even going to type it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is only one thing that will potentially derail this team...I'm not even going to type it.
I think interior defense could be a possible Achilles heels beyond that which shall not be mentioned.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah but we had that source telling us it was derailed PJ.

Kind of crazy how PJ Tucker has had a better career than every draft pick from the McD error, besides Book. He was a second round washout that was given a second chance here after being out of the league for 6 years. Man, the Sarver years were bleak.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kind of crazy how PJ Tucker has had a better career than every draft pick from the McD error, besides Book. He was a second round washout that was given a second chance here after being out of the league for 6 years. Man, the Sarver years were bleak.
Ayton and Bridges?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton and Bridges?

Like @Mainstreet said, Sarver wanted Bridges. So he doesn't really count since he was acquired by trade.

Ayton was a flop of a #1 overall pick from a class that produced a half dozen All-Stars before extensions were due. So while he wasn't devoid of a talent, he wasn't what we envisioned on draft day and isn't even the best big from his draft class.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like @Mainstreet said, Sarver wanted Bridges. So he doesn't really count since he was acquired by trade.

Ayton was a flop of a #1 overall pick from a class that produced a half dozen All-Stars before extensions were due. So while he wasn't devoid of a talent, he wasn't what we envisioned on draft day and isn't even the best big from his draft class.
Yes, Ayton sucks. But he's better than PJ Tucker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, Ayton sucks. But he's better than PJ Tucker.

We'll see. I'd bet my life Ayton isn't a starter at 37 years old like PJ is. PJ has somehow been a starter on contending teams every year since he's hit 30. He won't fill up the stat sheet but he plays a valuable role and has a title to his name now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see. I'd bet my life Ayton isn't a starter at 37 years old like PJ is. PJ has somehow been a starter on contending teams every year since he's hit 30. He won't fill up the stat sheet but he plays a valuable role and has a title to his name now.
Yeah but that's an unfair comparison. PJ's impact is largely due to his effort and mental toughness, two qualities that would help any older player hang on and that DA clearly lacks. I don't think there's any doubt that, barring significant emotional growth, Ayton will be out of the league when he starts showing signs of aging, if not before then.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I'd come down on this discussion but I can certainly see reasons to say that DA at his best has been better than PJ at any point of his career. But I also see reasons to believe that in the end, years of prime aged PJ would be better than same number of Ayton years. He's better for chemistry and while he isn't as good at times as DA can be, PJ is far more reliable. And if you already have stars on your team, that reliability becomes even more valuable.