Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Mavericks 120 - Suns 113

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It hasn't been a game for awhile. SirStefan32 and I noted the game was slipping away. Without looking it up it was about at the 7 minute mark.

Yep, they came out swinging in the third, and looked like they didn't have anything left in the fourth. I would have liked more of Okobo and Diallo since they played so well the last couple of games.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, they came out swinging in the third, and looked like they didn't have anything left in the fourth. I would have liked more of Okobo and Diallo since they played so well the last couple of games.

I have no clue what the rotation is going to be anymore.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It hasn't been a game for awhile. SirStefan32 and I noted the game was slipping away. Without looking it up it was about at the 7 minute mark.

Oh, I know, even at 99-98 you could feel it slipping away. But like I said, it wasn't all that long ago.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Remember when the suns were good for like two weeks last season? Their strong start this year is starting to look similarly flukey.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have lost 6 out of their last 7 games. They do not look like they are going to get it together soon.

It starts with defense but the Suns do not look like they have much confidence. They shouldn't play this poorly.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns have made some good progress in working toward having a real roster, but they aren't there yet. Kaminsky and Tyler Johnson should not be in the league, and Saric should not be starting. Dallas played very good defense in the fourth quarter and the Suns didn't have enough talent to respond.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Booker only took 16 shots. Doncic took 24. I dont care that Booker wasnt shooting well. He's our star. I can live with him having an off night, as long as he puts em up. Otherwise, we're bringing a knife to a gunfight. You win in this league with superstars. Right now, we dont have one.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyler Johnson and an unprotected 1 for Aaron Gordon

the Suns desperately need someone who can get buckets on a consistent basis besides booker

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Tyler Johnson and an unprotected 1 for Aaron Gordon

the Suns desperately need someone who can get buckets on a consistent basis besides booker
So why are you looking at Gordon? That dude is anything but consistent.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns have made some good progress in working toward having a real roster, but they aren't there yet. Kaminsky and Tyler Johnson should not be in the league, and Saric should not be starting. Dallas played very good defense in the fourth quarter and the Suns didn't have enough talent to respond.

Agree completely. I am also concerned, though, that Bridges and Booker seem to be trending in the wrong direction, and that we might not get anything at all out of the 2019 draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have lost 6 out of their last 7 games. They do not look like they are going to get it together soon.

It starts with defense but the Suns do not look like they have much confidence. They shouldn't play this poorly.

I don't know if it's a matter of confidence on defense or actually being athletically talented enough to make a difference. It was my biggest worry of the off-season, just how unathletic the team would end up being. Ayton SHOULD make a difference there, but the question is will he be the Ayton of last year, who put up nice pretty rebounding stats, but provided very little in the way of rim protection or the guy we saw in Game 1 of this season?

also, to answer 1Sun's question... no. Booker can't be the best player on a title winning team. Maybe on a team that is absolutely stacked with a team like that 2004/5 Pistons club that was just really solid everywhere AND deep, but that's about it, IMO. And I think the biggest reason that is is because he's just not a superstar and again, unless you're as deep as that Pistons team while being a defensive dynamo, no team is a true contender without a superstar leading the way and that's not Book. A superstar is a player who can have a major effect on a game even when they're not hitting their shots. Booker just isn't that guy. He's not a gifted passer who can really run a good offense if he's not hitting. He's not a guy who if he's not hitting can really force the action off the dribble to make hay at the line and get the other team in foul trouble and he's average at best on defense so he doesn't make an impact there either.

Can he be the best player on a very good team? Maybe... but it's hard for me to see that either at this point mostly because I've never seen him put a team on his shoulder and even sniff the playoffs.

My fear with him is that at his peak is a SG version of Carmelo Anthony, while not being quite as good as Melo at his peak. A guy who can really score the ball, but can't demonstrably effect the game in any other area.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ugly loss.

book just isn’t the superstar we all hoped who could put a team on his back and take over a game. He’s likely a very good #2.

nice Rubio game but kinda dwindled at end.

Love baynes but other than being a nuisance he didn’t seem that impactful. Entertaining, yes. Impactful no.

oubre was hot and disappeared.

Im becoming convinced bridges isn’t an nba player.

saric attracts fouls like mark west.

oh and no one on this board should question Doncic anymore. Ever. Really ever.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a matter of confidence on defense or actually being athletically talented enough to make a difference. It was my biggest worry of the off-season, just how unathletic the team would end up being. Ayton SHOULD make a difference there, but the question is will he be the Ayton of last year, who put up nice pretty rebounding stats, but provided very little in the way of rim protection or the guy we saw in Game 1 of this season?

also, to answer 1Sun's question... no. Booker can't be the best player on a title winning team. Maybe on a team that is absolutely stacked with a team like that 2004/5 Pistons club that was just really solid everywhere AND deep, but that's about it, IMO. And I think the biggest reason that is is because he's just not a superstar and again, unless you're as deep as that Pistons team while being a defensive dynamo, no team is a true contender without a superstar leading the way and that's not Book. A superstar is a player who can have a major effect on a game even when they're not hitting their shots. Booker just isn't that guy. He's not a gifted passer who can really run a good offense if he's not hitting. He's not a guy who if he's not hitting can really force the action off the dribble to make hay at the line and get the other team in foul trouble and he's average at best on defense so he doesn't make an impact there either.

Can he be the best player on a very good team? Maybe... but it's hard for me to see that either at this point mostly because I've never seen him put a team on his shoulder and even sniff the playoffs.

My fear with him is that at his peak is a SG version of Carmelo Anthony, while not being quite as good as Melo at his peak. A guy who can really score the ball, but can't demonstrably effect the game in any other area.

The Suns look disjointed. We can debate about Booker but he doesn't look like himself. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he is playing with an injury.

Suns do have some non-athletic players particularly Kaminsky and Cam Johnson but the team shouldn't be playing this poorly. I sense a chemistry issue with the team. Does Monty over analyze issues? I beginning to think so. Players can buy in but they can also buy out.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No one this board has questioned Doncic after last season. Just attempts to cover for the mistake of wanting/taking Ayton, in hindsight.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns look disjointed. We can debate about Booker but he doesn't look like himself. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he is playing with an injury.

Suns do have some non-athletic players particularly Kaminsky and Cam Johnson but the team shouldn't be playing this poorly. I sense a chemistry issue with the team. Does Monty over analyze issues? I beginning to think so. Players can buy in but they can also buy out.

It would be nice but I don't see him favoring his shooting hand or struggling with his movement so I suspect it's something else. Maybe Oubre had the flu and Booker was next to catch it or something like that. My guess though is that he's trying too hard to show he's a team player, or at least his understanding of what a team player is. But we don't need him to fit in, we need him to stand out. And I'd also suggest that Monty might be driving Book's focus on fitting in and if that's so, I'd hope he turns him loose soon.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still think Booker can be the guy. He's got that killer instinct. He's been unstoppable. We've all seen it. I think right now he's exploring efficiency, making the right basketball play, playing within the system. I think his heart is in the right place, ultimately trying to be a better basketball player. But I also think he's not seeing the forest for the trees right now. He seems more worried about playing within the system than winning the basketball game. I think he'll learn to balance when to play team ball and when to take over, but right now it's neutering him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice but I don't see him favoring his shooting hand or struggling with his movement so I suspect it's something else. Maybe Oubre had the flu and Booker was next to catch it or something like that. My guess though is that he's trying to hard to show he's a team player, or at least his understanding of what a team player is. But we don't need him to fit in, we need him to stand out. And I'd also suggest that Monty might be driving Book's focus on fitting in and if that's so, I'd hope he turns him loose soon.

Less an injury this is my biggest concern.... Booker buying out of the system.

I wish I could put a finger on it but the chemistry is not there. The Suns do not appear to be a happy or loose team. Ayton returning will help but something is missing. Can't blame it on the point guard anymore.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Booker can be the guy. He's got that killer instinct. He's been unstoppable. We've all seen it. I think right now he's exploring efficiency, making the right basketball play, playing within the system. I think his heart is in the right place, ultimately trying to be a better basketball player. But I also think he's not seeing the forest for the trees right now. He seems more worried about playing within the system than winning the basketball game. I think he'll learn to balance when to play team ball and when to take over, but right now it's neutering him.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at with Booker. There was a play early in the game where Booker had the ball maybe 5 feet from the basket in heavy traffic and opted to pass. His chances of scoring were much higher than the chances of him completing the pass plus Saric subsequently making the shot. I'm sure he thinks that's team ball but there are no participation trophies here and he's getting paid to be a ball hog (sort of).

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

I don't think this is that big of a shock. Think about it: Monty comes in a teaches team ball: not Harden-"teamball", or LeBron-"teamball". Actual team ball, like the Spurs and Warriors ran. Booker has a total buy in from the start. So much so that he even relents to taking over games as he's staying in the flow of the Offense. So, of course, there's going to be a massive adjustment period. We're going to take our lumps this season and a bit of next. But this is long-game mentality. What we all have been waiting for. We just need patience to let it come to fruition. I think the first few weeks are more indicative of who we'll be for the majority of this year.

And last I checked, Booker is still shooting at an outstanding rate (52-42-92) and his Defense is at an all time high (not easily assessable, but passes the eye test in comparison to his prior efforts).

We'll get healthy, get Ayton back, build some much needed team chemistry with him, Booker will gain a ton of experience at SG, we'll make a good run at the playoffs, and end on a high note for next year.

I believe in Monty and Devin and James.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would be nice but I don't see him favoring his shooting hand or struggling with his movement so I suspect it's something else. Maybe Oubre had the flu and Booker was next to catch it or something like that. My guess though is that he's trying too hard to show he's a team player, or at least his understanding of what a team player is. But we don't need him to fit in, we need him to stand out. And I'd also suggest that Monty might be driving Book's focus on fitting in and if that's so, I'd hope he turns him loose soon.

My thoughts exactly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson