Suns @ Wizards 12-22-18

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Beal wasn't the issue. The missed assignments in the pick and roll were.

I'm not sure how much of that is coaching and how much that is on the players
Oh beal was definitely a problem he had 40 points, but they have to have someone rotate over, rather give up the three attempt than an easy layup.

I think Igor needs to put a tight lesh on Jackson though, when he starts off cold he never warms up

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oh beal was definitely a problem he had 40 points, but they have to have someone rotate over, rather give up the three attempt than an easy layup.

I think Igor needs to put a tight lesh on Jackson though, when he starts off cold he never warms up
Beal played 54 minutes as the best scorer on his team, of course he scored 40 points. He had a good game, but it's not like he was completely picking us apart either (at least not just as a scorer).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No way I am blaming a coach on one guy killing us in the PnR. Unless you can prove that he was telling guys not to worry about him. It was simply mental lapses by the players IMO.
How can you NOT think that?? We’re you watching the same game?

Unless you’re saying is that the players simply aren’t listening to Igor... And I see no hard evidence of that.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Well at least it wasn't a blow out loss, playing close games win or lose is definitely an improvement

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
How can you NOT think that?? We’re you watching the same game?

Unless you’re saying is that the players simply aren’t listening to Igor... And I see no hard evidence of that.
I am not saying that coaching had nothing to do with it, but to put all of the blame on the coach and not on the players as well is over the top. There is no way the coach is going to tell them to just let Bryant have a free roll to the basket on every possession.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yep. That's why I hate that replay rule. Refs can't go back and call a clear over the back foul, instead they're forced to make a bad call by giving the fouling team possession since it went off the guy who got fouled. NBA needs to adjust that rule that fouls CAN be called under review, otherwise reviewing those plays makes no sense.

Well, or ... here's a crazy idea ... the officials could call obvious over-the-back fouls in the first place.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

the problem is either they're not listening to Igor
or listening to Igor
his philosophy seems to be conservative about fouling, especially under the basket.
that time he argued with Bridges, he just got his 5th foul. i thought Igor should have commended Bridges for being the only one playing hard in the middle of a blowout

EJ said "another player" should tell Melton to grab and foul someone on a layup. because EJ's not going to say "the coach" should, on air.

more IGORS tonight:

2. playing Booker the whole 4th. it meant he was tired in regulation, let alone, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd OT.

3. should have called for a 2-for-1 with 36 seconds left

4. should have called a real PLAY at least once or twice instead of the usual hand-Booker-the-ball play in any of the crunch times. even Jordan and Kobe were less predictable.

otherwise, good game
we got lucky with 1 call and unlucky with 3
it would have been nice to get 1 of the OT jump balls

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Tough loss, especially with another game tomorrow in Brooklyn.

Agree with most, Igor takes the lion's share on this one. Crawford wasn't doing us any favors, and it's not really his fault, expecting a guy with 18 years on his legs to play 3 OTs in a row is a bit much.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bummed to see we lost this one. But triple OT means we were in it. That’s important. I kinda expected the first loss to be a big letdown. A close loss at least somewhat keeps a modicum of momentum. However a triple OT game the night before an back-to-back day game likely ensures two losses, which is a bummer.

Also bummed to hear Ayton was passive again on defense.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
How awesome of us to lose in 3-OT and then play the following day.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Remember when the suns used to trail by 20 in every first quarter for 2 months? Stop complaining. They’re awesome now, this is the kind of competitive and competent team we expected at the start of the season.

It’s a good sign that people are starting to complain about Crawford. He’s not that good, he just looked good by comparison, now he doesn’t. That’s a sign of improvement, I guess.

This was the first game I’ve seen in person this year. Does Igor always walk onto the court during the game and they just don’t show it on tv? He was way out on the floor a bunch of times tonight.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
This was the first game I’ve seen in person this year. Does Igor always walk onto the court during the game and they just don’t show it on tv? He was way out on the floor a bunch of times tonight.
This was the first time I noticed, and I'm pretty sure it was because the refs couldn't hear him call for a timeout.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Bummed to see we lost this one. But triple OT means we were in it. That’s important. I kinda expected the first loss to be a big letdown. A close loss at least somewhat keeps a modicum of momentum. However a triple OT game the night before an back-to-back day game likely ensures two losses, which is a bummer.

I wouldn't say he was that passive defensively just had a few bad plays, the whole team forgot how to defend the pick and roll today which is why the wizards we're just doing layup drill all game

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Sun Devils Won!!!! I figured that was relevant because I watched a bunch of the Suns game on my phone while at the ASU game.

A. The Wizards are BETTER without Wall. Beal may have played the best game of his career.
B. Booker had 14 dimes and only 4 turnovers in FIFTY FIVE minutes.
C. I thought Ayton made another step forward. He is going to be DOMINANT.
D. Where the hell were Bridges and JJ?
E. Bryant is not THAT good.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The point has been raised that he is adjusting to the rigors of games 3-4 times per week.

And adjusting to a position that he did not play in his one year of college ball.

With the added stigma that, as #1 pick, expectations are higher.

He did foul out, you know. That is pretty active.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The point has been raised that he is adjusting to the rigors of games 3-4 times per week.

And adjusting to a position that he did not play in his one year of college ball.

I don't know how you call a player with 18 and 17 rebounds in the last 2 games soft.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember when the suns used to trail by 20 in every first quarter for 2 months? Stop complaining. They’re awesome now, this is the kind of competitive and competent team we expected at the start of the season.

It’s a good sign that people are starting to complain about Crawford. He’s not that good, he just looked good by comparison, now he doesn’t. That’s a sign of improvement, I guess.

I didn't have a chance to watch tonight until the first half was over, turned it on just after the 3rd quarter started and it was a tie game. I was thinking about how often I'd do the same earlier in the season only to see the Suns down 10 or 20 and just shut it off because the game was over with a whole half to play. I'm glad I can tune in late and see a competitive game. It's a lot different than November.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

BC867 said:

I don't know how you call a player with 18 and 17 rebounds in the last 2 games soft.
I assume you're responding to Ouchie's post which called Ayton passive on defense.

I agree with you. There is too much early criticism of Ayton. He was the #1 pick, but he is not Superman. On a team that, until five games ago, was being blown out of most games.

The "passive" tag rests with the coaching staff.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I assume you're responding to Ouchie's post which called Ayton passive on defense.

I agree with you. There is too much early criticism of Ayton. He was the #1 pick, but he is not Superman. On a team that, until five games ago, was being blown out of most games.

The "passive" tag rests with the coaching staff.
I don't think ouchie was calling him soft, from the sound of his original post it sounded like he didn't get to watch the game and was basing the passive comment from the previous posts.

I wouldn't call him soft by any means but I think ayton is very conscious of fouls so he doesn't want to contest as much when he is forced to switch and help,

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I JUST got back from the game. I wanted to share some observations without looking at the box score or reading the discussion here.

First off, there were many Suns fans at the game. I was pleasantly surprised.

Oubre, Jackson, Bridges, and Holmes are even more fun to watch in person, at least when it comes to defense.

I felt that Melton was underused. He played very well, and late in the game, Suns had trouble scoring and getting stops at different times. I felt that Melton would have helped. Old man Crawford was off tonight.

Ayton was awful defensively. Maybe it's different watching them in person, but I have never seen such an awful defensive performance against any player, let alone some scrub. I had never heard of Bryant before tonight, and I am pretty sure that he dropped 30 points on Ayton tonight. He is the reason Phoenix didn't win.

Warren has got to make his free throws.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns relapsed into a ton of bad habits this game, and they were fortunate that they hung in there for 63 minutes with real chances to win.

On offense, we saw a reversion to Kokoskov's two favorite plays, which are (1) the utterly pointless weave 25 feet from the basket, which looks like a parody of a marching band drill, and (2) Ayton half-heartedly setting a screen even farther away than that, with the guard's job to then thread a perfect pass to him through heavy traffic while he's making his way through the lane. Later in the game, it was Booker playing hero ball and forcing things that simply weren't there, over and over again.

On defense, first-line defense was terrible, which was what made all of the back cuts and interior passing so effective. I don't know what the all-time record is for points in the paint, but the Wizards must have been close to it. The last number I remember hearing was in the mid-50s, and that was still in regulation. It's tempting to say that the Suns just kept forgetting about Bryant, and to a lesser extent Morris and Ariza, but the real problem was that they were committing fundamental errors early in the possession and then needing to scramble.

Unfortunately I couldn't watch the last few wins, so "getting to" watch this game turned out to be a bitter disappointment. The Suns were the better team, should have won, and know it. That's a moral victory of sorts, but it's up to them to turn that anger into better focus and discipline.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol is there no video of josh Dunking on markieff? That was terrific.