Cardinals' 2018 Retool is On and QBOF is Off

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could have said the same thing about Peyton Manning for much of his career(or at least the first decade) and guys like John Elway or Andrew Luck or Mtthew Stafford that droves of people wanted???

No, no you couldn't.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely you could

Not at any time did the Colts, Broncos or Lions ever think of not paying any single one of those players what ever they wanted in the prime of their careers. Not once!

So I'll say it again. No, no you couldn't.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at any time did the Colts, Broncos or Lions ever think of not paying any single one of those players what ever they wanted in the prime of their careers. Not once!

So I'll say it again. No, no you couldn't.

Just because they didn't think about paying them has no bearing on what you said.... You said "That is risk for a player who puts up good numbers, but hasn't won much of anything."

That fits Stafford to a freaking tee. Just because the Redskins don't want a long term deal has no bearing on how you represented your statement above... Manning was considered a choker who couldn't win anything that mattered for the better part of a decade?? The redskins definitely paid him to the tune of almost 50 million over 2 years they paid him rather handsomely actually just not in a long term deal... One could say that Cousins could see how inept that franchise is and worked it perfectly..

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Cousins but don't think we can compete with other teams (that have much more cap space) to sign him. Cards have $27 million, Browns have over $100 million and Jets have $80 million and both teams need a qb.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because they didn't think about paying them has no bearing on what you said.... You said "That is risk for a player who puts up good numbers, but hasn't won much of anything."

That fits Stafford to a freaking tee. Just because the Redskins don't want a long term deal has no bearing on how you represented your statement above... Manning was considered a choker who couldn't win anything that mattered for the better part of a decade?? The redskins definitely paid him to the tune of almost 50 million over 2 years they paid him rather handsomely actually just not in a long term deal... One could say that Cousins could see how inept that franchise is and worked it perfectly..

Sure it does, it shows that his own coach and GM not see value in paying him that much money. They see he is not a winner, while the Lions, Broncos and Colts all see or saw winners in those players. You don't let a franchise QB walk if you feel they can lead you to a SB. Name one player who in their prime was not resigned by their team to then lead another team to a SB that commanded by 3 QB money? It doesn't happen because you do not let a QB go like that. It could still work out for Stafford and Luck.

As far as the Redskins franchising him the last two years, they wanted to know what they had before marrying him to a long term deal. They see he is not marriage material and walking away. Not someone can have their sloppy seconds.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bridgewater is by far our best bet for FA QB's. he has proven he can play in the league, he will be relatively inexpensive, and the kid is only 25.

if a coveted QB drops to 15 we are free to take him... if not, draft Vita Vea or Price and trade up in the second for a QB there.... then grab the best WR available in the third.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sure it does, it shows that his own coach and GM not see value in paying him that much money. They see he is not a winner, while the Lions, Broncos and Colts all see or saw winners in those players. You don't let a franchise QB walk if you feel they can lead you to a SB. Name one player who in their prime was not resigned by their team to then lead another team to a SB that commanded by 3 QB money? It doesn't happen because you do not let a QB go like that. It could still work out for Stafford and Luck.

As far as the Redskins franchising him the last two years, they wanted to know what they had before marrying him to a long term deal. They see he is not marriage material and walking away. Not someone can have their sloppy seconds.
Drew Brees??

but it was the chargers so,..yeah,

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
They were told his shoulder was garbage and even Miami passed on signing him because of it. That was injury related.
it was the plan for sandy eggo... they drafted rivers before brees got hurt. the injury just screwed them out of tagging and trading him

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2014 2015 and 2016 they had plenty of time and tape arguably to 'know what they had" you could even argue they had enough to know after 2014 and 15... That right there should tell you all you need to know... The Redskins as a franchise are as inept as they come right now and you cant judge what they are doing as a basis. 27 games as a starter before the first franchise tag Another 16 games and they DO IT AGAIN...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea 43 games as a starter going into 2017 and they paid him 30 million on a one year deal because they didn't know what they have.. That is literally beyond laughable

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was the plan for sandy eggo... they drafted rivers before brees got hurt. the injury just screwed them out of tagging and trading him

Yup, but they still offered him a contract vs just letting him walk. They offered him a 5 year deal for $50 million. He turned it down and signed with the Saints for $60 million.

After the season, the Chargers offered Brees a 5-year, $50 million contract that paid $2 million in base salary the first year and the rest heavily based on performance incentives. Brees evaluated the incentive-based offer as a sign of no confidence by the Chargers and promptly demanded the salary a top 5 "franchise" quarterback would receive.

After the Chargers refused to increase their offer, Brees met with other teams. The New Orleans Saints and the Miami Dolphins were interested in Brees. New Orleans made an offer that included $10 million in guaranteed money the first year and a $12 million option the second year. Miami was unsure if Brees's shoulder was completely healed and doctors suggested the team not sign him because of the injury. The Dolphins ended negotiations and traded for Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper instead. Brees signed a 6-year, $60 million deal with the Saints on March 14, 2006.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea 43 games as a starter going into 2017 and they paid him 30 million on a one year deal because they didn't know what they have.. That is literally beyond laughable

And yet they are still letting him walk.

I am going to agree to disagree.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm in on that Andy Dalton thought. Very high IQ QB. I think a perfect fit in McCoys system. Things that make you go hmmm

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno Mitch... looks like flawed logic to me.

Joe Montana would have failed in John Maddens system. He would have failed in BA's system too.

option 1.
McCoy lets Keim know what style offense he is going to run and what type of QB he needs to run it.

Option 2.
McCoy has some history of being flexible so Keim can go get what he sees as the best available young QB and McCoy tailors the offense around DJ and the young QB's strengths.

Option 3.
Keim, Wilks, and McCoy sit down and discuss it...and decide together which of the young QB's they can work with and decide how far they are willing to go to get each one.

"Developing" a QB is completely subjective. It basically amounts to teaching the guy your offense then giving him live reps in practice until the game starts to slow for him. along the way your QB coach works with him on footwork and release motion...
the Cardinals use that VR system to gain game reps and IMO these young guys should respond well to that.
curiously enough, one of the best in the game, Aaron Rodgers... actually jumps in the air when he throws... which is just soooo technically no-no..
but somehow, his backup has developed the same habit....and it works for them both.
is that a result of GB "developing" their QB's?

I think in many cases, "developing" a young QB simply means " teach the kid the offense and let him play football".... pointers along the way to explain how to deal with what he sees will allow him to grow as he plays... if a kid is already passing for 65% how much "development" do you think he really needs?
film, film, film...

we dont need a guy to turn a young QB into a superstar, we just need a guy that aint gonna ruin him

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I just want the bridge QB that leads in a short time to one of the rookie QB's. Preferably, Mayfield or Jackson. That would really spice up this team and give the fan base some big time exitement.

But the FO and staff seem bent on instant success. There are some legit pieces in place for this coming season and Fitz is looking closely at who they'll bring in for that immediate success.

But we went through this last season too. They said they would've pullled the trigger on Watson or Mahomes. Why not now if one falls to u? Give us hope looking beyond just this coming season.

I wouldn't give up high draft picks for Smith or top $$ for the likes of Cousins. But Wilkes will have his say. It will go a long way in determining his legacy here. Easy quick way or build it the right way over a couple seasons with high upside.

Heck, I may even draft two QB"s this year. Skins did it and it worked out pretty well after they sold the farm to grab RGIII. I'm not suggesting we trade up like they did. But keep the option open at 15 and in the next three rounds.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Bridgewater is by far our best bet for FA QB's. he has proven he can play in the league, he will be relatively inexpensive, and the kid is only 25.

if a coveted QB drops to 15 we are free to take him... if not, draft Vita Vea or Price and trade up in the second for a QB there.... then grab the best WR available in the third.
Can he take a snap & throw on crutches? :mrgreen:

I don’t think the kid will every make it back & I have been very high on the kid. He’s a game manager & that just win World championships today.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Can he take a snap & throw on crutches? :mrgreen:

I don’t think the kid will every make it back & I have been very high on the kid. He’s a game manager & that just win World championships today.
he took a couple snaps this past season.
Teddy has been a game manager, but he also only has two years of NFL experience...and I am pretty sure he still has some improvements to offer over the next few years.

But he does provide us with a guy we can win with, a guy who can still get better, and he keeps us competitive while we look for another young guy. Bridgewater in conjunction with a rookie gives us the best options for the teams future.

of course if his leg snaps we have to throw the rook into the fire... but you plan against that in his contract.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Great initial post Mitch! Awesome

The only way it appears the Cards will ever get that young, stud 15 year vet is sucking, sucking some more then sucking again!

How many times has this franchise ever picked in the top 3? 3 times? 5 times? Not many & yet we’ve never drafted a QB at those spots when we’ve had them during my lifetime. This franchise has been around over 100 years & yet we’ve never drafted that great QB in rd 1 & he played for us! Never!

Sad that we haven’t sucked bad enough to find “that dude” to change our fortunes for a long stretch of seasons.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Reaction score
he took a couple snaps this past season.
Teddy has been a game manager, but he also only has two years of NFL experience...and I am pretty sure he still has some improvements to offer over the next few years.

But he does provide us with a guy we can win with, a guy who can still get better, and he keeps us competitive while we look for another young guy. Bridgewater in conjunction with a rookie gives us the best options for the teams future.

of course if his leg snaps we have to throw the rook into the fire... but you plan against that in his contract.
I’d rather explore other options given the injury & so so performance.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I’d rather explore other options given the injury & so so performance.
I have been exploring other options, lol... thats what lead me to Teddy. There are no "good" options for us... every option requires some sort of risk...and a fairly heavy cost... TB has the risk and cost that is least likely to hurt the team long term if he fails.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison