Arizona Basketball 2015-2016

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Miller is getting out coached on a level that I have never seen before. I have never seen an Arizona team struggle this mightily on offense while a clearly less talented team is able to basically do what they want.

Sad, pathetic, and Miller needs to be held accountable.

Not discounting your post because it's accurate, but Gregg Marshall is a damn good coach and WSU has some ballers on that team, especially in the backcourt. Marshall should be in line for a big time job in the near future.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
This was Always going to be a transitional year, but looking back, this team had some bad luck that it simply couldn't have endured:

Missing on Damien Lee and Ivan Rabb
Ray Smith's torn ACL
Pitts's personal issue
Injuries to Tarc and Trier

On to next year [emoji53]

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This was Always going to be a transitional year, but looking back, this team had some bad luck that it simply couldn't have endured:

Missing on Damien Lee and Ivan Rabb
Ray Smith's torn ACL
Pitts's personal issue
Injuries to Tarc and Trier
Facing an 11-seed Wichita St

On to next year [emoji53]

Fixed

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not discounting your post because it's accurate, but Gregg Marshall is a damn good coach and WSU has some ballers on that team, especially in the backcourt. Marshall should be in line for a big time job in the near future.

I don't think he wants to leave them unless its' a blue blood. He turned down over 4 million to go to bama and got a 3.3 for 10 year deal at WSU.

Great coach, apparently makes Ben Howland look like a nice guy but man can he coach and he seems to get along with his players unlike Ben.

My favorite play of this game was Trier nailing a 3 to cut the lead to 14. As he runs back he on camera says to McDuffie "you can't guard me" Clear as day on camera. Then McDuffie backdoors him scores draws the foul makes the FT and looks right at Trier and just smiles and doesn't say a word.

Trier is a great offensive player but WSU targetted him on defense all night, really good coaching WSU went after Trier and PJC on defense all game.

Unfortunately I suspect that knee from Tarc is going to limit Baker in the next game and WSU probably loses.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I've never seen an AZ team with such bad handles. Any kind of pressure and they're dribbling in fear. Luckily Kobi and Rawle can handle the ball.

I'm not sure if it's possible at his size but PJC needs to go from average to above-average. He's not gonna grow and doesn't seem to have the frame to add significant weight but he's the most natural PG of the bunch.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't think he wants to leave them unless its' a blue blood. He turned down over 4 million to go to bama and got a 3.3 for 10 year deal at WSU.

Great coach, apparently makes Ben Howland look like a nice guy but man can he coach and he seems to get along with his players unlike Ben.

My favorite play of this game was Trier nailing a 3 to cut the lead to 14. As he runs back he on camera says to McDuffie "you can't guard me" Clear as day on camera. Then McDuffie backdoors him scores draws the foul makes the FT and looks right at Trier and just smiles and doesn't say a word.

Trier is a great offensive player but WSU targetted him on defense all night, really good coaching WSU went after Trier and PJC on defense all game.

Unfortunately I suspect that knee from Tarc is going to limit Baker in the next game and WSU probably loses.

Trier should just leave and take that mindset to the NBA. I'm looking forward to having long and athletic guards again.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trier should just leave and take that mindset to the NBA. I'm looking forward to having long and athletic guards again.

So what's the thinking here on transfers? One of the UA guys I talk to regularly says both PJC and Simon are rumored to be considering it because PJC thinks Simmons will play PG and Simon is being recruited over and if UA gets Jackson and or Ferguson he'll never play. Pitts would appear to be gone.

UA could lose as many as 7 guys. Miller could have a blockbuster class coming in, to offset it.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This team had to play Mark Tollefsen 22 minutes a game and had no point guard that could make it past half court under pressure. Winning 25 games itself was a minor miracle.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Wichita St is a 2 point favorite over Miami.

Well done, selection committee.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
So what's the thinking here on transfers? One of the UA guys I talk to regularly says both PJC and Simon are rumored to be considering it because PJC thinks Simmons will play PG and Simon is being recruited over and if UA gets Jackson and or Ferguson he'll never play. Pitts would appear to be gone.

UA could lose as many as 7 guys. Miller could have a blockbuster class coming in, to offset it.
I think PJC is gone as well. He's a strange scenario, he just lost all confidence at some point along the way. His stature both in height and strength don't help either. I'm guessing going MWC or WCC and playing against less physically imposing players will help him dramatically. Or just hit the weights and diet right all summer. Who knows...

I don't know about Simon. He's going to be on the bench next year regardless of what he does so hopefully Miller talks him into staying and redshirting.

Pitts is obviously gone and good riddance. I could see Ristic going to play pro in Europe. Very fluid offensively but I can't see how he'll ever play capable defense to make it in the US.

So yeah, cleaning house.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This year's team is the talented zona team I can ever remember. And least entertaining. Amazed they won as much as they did. And though WSU was likely under seeded due to missed games earlier in year, you gotta win what's in front of you. They just weren't good enough. Would likely lost in next round.

Hope that monster recruiting class really comes to fruition!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDIYNJ6GYLS/

Probably the guy I'm most excited about since we haven't seen much of him. Rumor on the Rivals recruiting board is that JJ to MSU is a done deal. As good as he is and dissapointed as Miller would be the Cats will still be a great team.

Allen/PJC
Trier/Simmons/Simon
Alkins/Smith
Markk/Smith
Comanche/Ristic

Ray Smith interview. He looks pretty strong in the press conference video...

http://m.tucson.com/sports/basketball/college/wildcats/article_2b67a59d-f73b-5ef1-9cf8-652b00f190f6.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share&id=201408&mobile_touch=true

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDIYNJ6GYLS/

Probably the guy I'm most excited about since we haven't seen much of him. Rumor on the Rivals recruiting board is that JJ to MSU is a done deal. As good as he is and dissapointed as Miller would be the Cats will still be a great team.

Allen/PJC
Trier/Simmons/Simon
Alkins/Smith
Markk/Smith
Comanche/Ristic

Ray Smith interview. He looks pretty strong in the press conference video...

http://m.tucson.com/sports/basketba...tm_campaign=share&id=201408&mobile_touch=true
If Allen/PJC are the two point guards might as well cap next season at the Sweet 16 at best and finishing behind Oregon (and another team or two) again. Simmons has to get that gig.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This year's team is the talented zona team I can ever remember. And least entertaining. Amazed they won as much as they did. And though WSU was likely under seeded due to missed games earlier in year, you gotta win what's in front of you. They just weren't good enough. Would likely lost in next round.

Hope that monster recruiting class really comes to fruition!
Lacked any big-time athletes. Also big-time competitors. Soft and unathletic is tough to overcome.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Allen/PJC are the two point guards might as well cap next season at the Sweet 16 at best and finishing behind Oregon (and another team or two) again. Simmons has to get that gig.

I don't think we need a natural PG as much just guys who can handle the ball. Oregon has a bunch of combo guards but they can all dribble comfortably.

Kobi seems like a pure scorer type.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don't think we need a natural PG as much just guys who can handle the ball. Oregon has a bunch of combo guards but they can all dribble comfortably.

They have Casey Benson, who's a true PG. Not flashy but runs the offense and makes an occasional bucket.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is a freak athlete but he's not a PG. he's much better than Simon but if they play him at PG he'll have to adjust it's not natural for him.

Simmons was one of the top rated pg's in the class last summer just behind Dennis Smith and right up there with Lonzo Ball and Frank Jackson. By the end of the summer he'd fallen several notches because he's just not a PG. Then he had a great senior year and moved back up but as a combo guard not a PG.

he is a spectacular athlete.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I missed the spectacular athletes this year. Guys like Gordon, Nick Johnson, and RHJ had big flaws in each of their respective games but they were all freak athletes who played every possession like it was their last. Those two traits can take a team a long way.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I missed the spectacular athletes this year. Guys like Gordon, Nick Johnson, and RHJ had big flaws in each of their respective games but they were all freak athletes who played every possession like it was their last. Those two traits can take a team a long way.

Agree. Plus this AZ team had no leadership and it really got exposed against WSU. Made a huge bet on the Wildcats while in Laughlin and knew right out of the gate they were in trouble. Real flat and no one was moving away from the ball. AZ was the better team, but obviously didn't show

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh I agree athleticism can cover lots of shortcomings I'm just saying he's not TJ McConnell with elite athleticism. He is a scorer who at the HS and AAU level can get by at PG on sheer talent.

Ridiculously athletic he and Alkins should be very good defenders for Miller next year.

Trier is interesting Chad Ford still doesn't have him projected very high but there continue to be rumors he'll go. If he goes look for wherever Durant is to pick him, they have had a strong connection since Durant was a rookie in Seattle.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah we need athleticism in the worst way. Is Ferguson one & done?

Probably not but then the big question on him is how the NCAA handles his transcripts. He's been at Prime Prep for 2 years and now a year at Advanced Prep which is the school created after PP closed. Same basic people and teachers just no Deion involved, even the same coach and many of the same players, and not NCAA approved.

Prime Prep had a history of kids getting delayed but eventually cleared by the NCAA but I think Ferguson is a real test case because he basically has 3 years at schools the NCAA doesn't sanction academically.

The only kid who didn't clear, Mudiay, took money too, but I've seen the exact same debate on the Kansas scout board(they think they are getting ferguson) is this guy going to be held out for weeks like Diallo was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard