You're the Diamondbacks GM, what do you do?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you're the GM for the Diamondbacks I would like to know if you would do any changes this year?

If I was the GM I would listen to all the teams and see what they're offering. If Jose(Papa Grande) keeps shutting the opponents down I would seriously try and get the best offer for mantei. I would not make a trade until the last few days of July because a team that is desperate for a closer will get desperate and offer more than they should.

I would also see if Finley is tradeable. Steve is still a good player but he is not the everyday player he used to be.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The team is only 8 games out of first.... lets see how they do closer to the end of the season. When Unit and Schilling come back the team might make a surge....especially with Webb kicking ass along with Batista

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
If you're the GM for the Diamondbacks I would like to know if you would do any changes this year?

If I was the GM I would listen to all the teams and see what they're offering. If Jose(Papa Grande) keeps shutting the opponents down I would seriously try and get the best offer for mantei. I would not make a trade until the last few days of July because a team that is desperate for a closer will get desperate and offer more than they should.

I would also see if Finley is tradeable. Steve is still a good player but he is not the everyday player he used to be.

I am not aure I am ready to bail on Finley...but he also isn't untouchable. If the right deal comes along, then I would pull the trigger but I am not going to get rid of him just to get rid of him.

Mantei, while it is nice to get something for him, I just don't think his health is going to get the Dbacks the kind of value he is really truly worth. Right now, he is a weight on the Dbacks books but I keep hoping he will snap out of this injury phase and throw like we all know he can.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Well what the team does depends on whether it wants to spend money: in other words are the D-Backs buyers or sellers come trade deadline.

For example, I hear the Cards are looking for a 2b and will trade J.D. Drew. Danny B hasn't lived up to much this year, so that's a possibility.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by schillingfan
Well what the team does depends on whether it wants to spend money: in other words are the D-Backs buyers or sellers come trade deadline.

For example, I hear the Cards are looking for a 2b and will trade J.D. Drew. Danny B hasn't lived up to much this year, so that's a possibility.

I don't see the Dbacks trading for JD Drew - he strikes me more as a Phillie :)

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
I think Finley could be traded

After this year Finley is a 5/10 year player under the collective bargaining agreement. If the D-backs do not trade him before the deadline they will be required to seek his permission next year. That makes him a likely candidate given they will want to make room for Terrell and perhaps other prospects next year. In the ideal world the D-backs only wanted Finley for 1 year but ended up having him for 2.

We need righthanded power in the outfield and I fear Danny Bautista is not the answer. We will see what his injury status yields.

Also Dessens is awful and I say if you can trade him do it. A 12 pack of diet coke would do it for me.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would consider packaging D. Bautista and maybe Randolph or Deluchi(spell?) for a right handed power hitter. A right fielder or maybe a 1st baseman.

I really like Hammock and am wondering if he could eventually fill this position?

The other quwstion is what happens to the pitching staff when evryone is well and comes back? Who do you think stays and who goes back to Tucson?

Az240z

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by schillingfan

J.D. Drew would be a great fit in my opinion. The D-Backs have several infielders to spare, and if St. Louis wanted Counsell (even though I like him), I'd take the deal. Of course, they'd have to take some salary w/ him and Dessens or Bautista would be a good bet to go the other way.
As for Schilling, I don't think that move needs to be made yet. Keep the formula in tact and concentrate on bringing in the bats that can take this team to the next level. The rotation looks pretty good w/ Johnson, Schilling, Batista, Webb, and Patterson/Good.
Only thing missing is a leadoff hitter that can play CF.

Lineup then shapes up as follows:

1- CF (TBA)
2- 2B/SS - Cintron/Spivey
3- RF/1B - Drew/Overbay
4- LF - Gonzalez
5- 3B - Hillenbrand
6- 1B/RF - Overbay/Drew
7- SS/2B - Cintron/Spivey
8- C - Barajas/Hammock

I'll reiterate that only 1 of the Barajas/Moller platoon should remain, because Hammock is a perfectly viable reserve catcher candidate who has more flexibility and makes less money.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
I don't see the Dbacks trading for JD Drew - he strikes me more as a Phillie :)
ha! fat chance!

Would look for D'backs to move Mantei

With Valverde showing that he's the real deal, and another highly regarded closer moved up from AA to Tucson.... Mantei isn't long for the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson