YOUR opinion - what does this team need?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
A team built on "scratching and clawing" runs isn't going to score many. So by default you must rely in your pitching. Our SP although doing well are not exceptional at going deep into games so the BP must take on a lot of the load in that good pitching dept. as well. Since crap rolls down hill the fan base yells kill the BP for being less than perfect at their jobs. Somehow the offense gets a free pass because well, runs aren't important or something. --DWKB May 2nd

Baseball is about choices because most teams don't do everything well. That's why it's up to the GM to find out how to mask the weaknesses. I'm saying ours didn't succeed in that based upon this teams design. --DWKB May 3rd

Isn't saying
Our SP although doing well are not exceptional at going deep into games

a contradiction.

It drives me crazy that they rarely get to the 7th inning much less ever finish a game. If anybody's trying to figure out why the starters haven't won in the last 25 games this is a good place to start you investigation. Guys that win 20 games finish games.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't saying

a contradiction.

It drives me crazy that they rarely get to the 7th inning much less ever finish a game. If anybody's trying to figure out why the starters haven't won in the last 25 games this is a good place to start you investigation. Guys that win 20 games finish games.

I see what you're saying, I think a key to a great pitcher is to have him able to go deep and shut out the team. It's like saying you want a hitter to hit for .350 and have 40 HRs.

Most players are flawed though so you've got to match strengths of one aspect with weaknesses of others to make a team successful as a GM. I think you can have a good pitching staff that doesn't go deep into games if you have a BP that is lights out. Right now PIT has used their BP more Inn/G than the DBacks, but because their BP has been lights out, the SP looks pretty good.

Great players make GMs look good, but when you don't have money to buy them you have to actually craft a team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It would be nice if we could find our own Puig too. I know we don't like him, he's a Dodger, but the guy is almost worth the hype he's getting.

Steve
Don't forget that Puig, certainly more of a potential heart-of-the-batting-order hitter than a prototypical #2 hitter, has guys like Gonzalez, Ramirez, Kemp, Ethier and Uribe hitting behind him.

We have our own Puig batting third, with Miggy (.222) hitting behind him and Kubel's .265 the best of the lot. Puig batting third on the D'backs would not be hitting .443 or even .343.

When I saw the Dodgers vs. the D'backs at Talking Stick in Spring Training and sat a few feet away from Puig as he was moving on-deck, I could only think (from a baseball perspective), "Muscle and athleticism. Wow! This kid is going places." But it sure helps to see pitches in the strike zone, unlike Goldy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson