YOUR opinion - what does this team need?

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
I keep hearing about the teams interest in acquiring a starting pitcher, my opinion, that's not first (or second) on my wish list to make us a legit contender. I don't see the fact that its been 20+ games since a starting pitcher got a win as a failure on the part of the starting pitching, but rather a failure on the part of the bats.

All too often I see a pitcher leaving a game in the 7th tied 2-2 with no chance for a win despite a strong outing. From an offensive standpoint I'm very comfortable with the infield and love Parra in the OF, but Pollack, Ross and Kubel just don't cut it offensively at the other two OF spots. Pollack gets a pass since he was never expected to have this many AB's, and considering that hes filled Eatons spot adequitely. Kubel and Ross, however, have 368 combined AB's and just 7 HR's, this from corner outfielders that are supposed to be clearing the bases. More concerning are their .353 and .385 SLG%.

I know this organization want players that make contac and keep strikeouts to a minimum, but when considering Ross and Kubels .256 and .261 BA's you can't honestly say we're even getting that from them. I'm on board with conceding power for contact, but with these two were getting niether.

If I was to make one trade at the deadline it would be a corner OF with some power.

If we combined Kubel & Ross into one player based on their #'s to this point in the season, here's what we'd have for a full 600 AB 2013 season

Kubel/Ross 2013 combined projected 600AB Season

.258 BA. 73RBI 11HR .366 SLG

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
We need starting pitching

It has been 21 starts since a starting pitcher won a game

When 3 relievers have more wins than Kennedy and Cahill that is a concern. It should be the other way around.

OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

Reaction score
We need starting pitching

It has been 21 starts since a starting pitcher won a game

When 3 relievers have more wins than Kennedy and Cahill that is a concern. It should be the other way around.

Unfortunately a starting pitchers performance has very little to do with their w/l record. That stat speaks more to the offense than it does to the pitcher.

Over that 20 game spam how many games have we lost by a score of something like 6 - 8? Very few. Now how many have we lost 3-2? A LOT!

Over that 20 game span we are averaging 3.4 runs per 9 innings, that's not going to win very many games. Take into consideration that we scored 11 runs in one game in that span, if you back out that one out lyer, our runs per 9 innings is 3.1.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

Reaction score
This is not to say that I'm content with our starting pitching, but if I was to choose ONE trade to make it would be a power corner OF. Also taking into consideration that a power bat will cost considerably less in the trade market than a quality front of the rotation SP would. If we can find a rent a bat in the mold of he Adam Dunn trade in 2008, it wouldn't cost us Skaggs or Archie Bradley as a trade for a SP likely would. More bang for the buck with the power corner OF in my mind.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A legitimate cleanup hitter to back up Goldy. One who can play as many games as he does.

Miggy is obviously not the answer. Nor Cody Ross. Nor is Aaron Hill, who is solid, but not the batter to put fear into the opposing teams who pitch around Goldy.

What Eric Chavez did for a short time proved the point. But he went down with injury because he is too far along in his career to play every day.

And when I say legitimate cleanup hitter, I don't mean one who tries to put every ball into the air. One with line drive power into the alleys and into the seats. We've come too far from last season's popup kids to go back to that.

Although, just within the past day, Gibby urged his players to try to hit more home runs. One-extreme-to-the-other hasn't worked in the past and won't work in the future.

And, yes, my old bugaboo. Pick a starting lineup or two platoon lineups and give it a chance. As we come back to full strength, we'll see if that prevails.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It seems like the answer to this question varies from week to week. If you look at team stats they rank about 13th in hitting AND pitching. If they can take advantage of the mostly home remaining schedule they can make the post season.

To make any noise once they get there they'll need at least 2 HOT starters. Corbin could be one......

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would point out that the Atlanta has almost the same run production as us, and Pittsburg is way below us.... and they are both 1st place teams.

I think pitching is the big problem for us....and our RISP success seems quite poor as well.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
What this team needs is a stiff kick in the who ha...All of these starting pitchers are suffering one bad inning, and when you look at the bench and coaches, nobody seems to have a sense of urgency....and it's sooooooo frustrating to watch!

OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

Reaction score
1. Adam Eaton (when/if he returns in July)
2. Hill
3. Goldy
4. < THIS is where we need help (any Adam Dunns available this year?)
5. Miggy
6. Parra
7. Didi
8. Prado

Something soon these lines is what I'd like to see come August 1

Last edited:

Marklar

Rookie
Reaction score
1. Adam Eaton (when/if he returns in July)
2. Hill
3. Goldy
4. < THIS is where we need help (any Adam Dunns available this year?)
5. Miggy
6. Parra
7. Didi
8. Prado

Something soon these lines is what I'd like to see come August 1

I like this, but I wouldn't be against shifting Parra to 2, moving Hill and Goldy down a spot (I'm prepared to be told why moving Goldy is bad!). With what we've got, I guess we must then use Chavez at 5 when possible, and Kubel/Ross otherwise. It's not great now, but they clearly have it in them to break out of the slumps!

Prado/Bloomquist viable outfield options?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Here are the glaring issues;

- Kubel
- Ross
- Prado
- Miggy
- Cahill
- Kennedy (is simply not performing anywhere close to the %1 slot he occupies)
- Hernandez
- Putz
- Sipp

We just have far too many holes to fill... I really don't see how this team will be on contention much longer. Unless of course the entire division craps the bed. If the Dodgers get and remain healthy, the west is theirs to lose...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I believe it is time, once and for all, to move Miggy out of the cleanup spot. His batting average is .226 with 27 RBI's.

With both Eric Chavez and Jason Kubel unable to play regularly, I'd like to see a "platoon" with one or the other playing and batting cleanup behind Goldy against RH pitchers. Rest Chavez at 3B when Kubel is starting and vice versa. Or bat them both if they are capable of playing 2/3 of the games vs. RH pitchers.

Yasiel Puig is hitting .417 for the Dodgers and they make sure to give him protection in the batting order. Goldy deserves the same.

I love Miggy's play, his approach, his positive attitude, etc. But it doesn't mean he has to be our cleanup hitter when he is not the RBI machine he was last season.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Perhaps a new manager or a change in attitude from the manager. This scrappy, gritty team doesn't produce runs, but is in 1st place.

WE just got owned by Atlanta, the home run ball is serving them well

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A new GM? New ownership? An educated fan base that doesn't parrot the company line of the week?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yesterday the "Highlight of the Day" on the Dbacks site was Goldy grounding into a double play and Pollack scoring from third. This epitomizes where this team is at right now.

Reaction score
The team needs to send Hernandez and Putz on a slow boat to Japan. They need some BP help over there.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
they need hitters, hitters and more hitters. Depending on one man to do it all is insane.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
they need hitters, hitters and more hitters. Depending on one man to do it all is insane.

They have 3. You forgot about Parra and Hill...
Offensively, their issues boil down to Kubel, Ross, Miggy and Prado. Those 4 have absolutely buried this team...

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't forget about them, perhaps I Should have said power hitter, power hitter,power hitter. Goldy is Gonzo, where the heck is our Williams?

Para and Hill are top of the line up guys, perhaps Hill should be 3rd and Goldy 4 but we don't have a 5. Montero has regressed badly this year or he is showing what he really is, good defense no offense. I agree about the other guys.

Score more runs and the bullpen will look better.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To paraphrase Jack Nicholson's Joker..... "Bob, what this team needs is an enema."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need the obvious, a real closer. It would be nice if we could find our own Puig too. I know we don't like him, he's a Dodger, but the guy is almost worth the hype he's getting.

Steve

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A team built on "scratching and clawing" runs isn't going to score many. So by default you must rely in your pitching. Our SP although doing well are not exceptional at going deep into games so the BP must take on a lot of the load in that good pitching dept. as well. Since crap rolls down hill the fan base yells kill the BP for being less than perfect at their jobs. Somehow the offense gets a free pass because well, runs aren't important or something. --DWKB May 2nd

Baseball is about choices because most teams don't do everything well. That's why it's up to the GM to find out how to mask the weaknesses. I'm saying ours didn't succeed in that based upon this teams design. --DWKB May 3rd

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson