Your final 54 predictions

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I disagree vehemently because I don't see a group I really like. At all. Keim also likes and is satisfied with the CB position, which I also view as a gross mistake.
I agree that Keim gambled with the CB room. That said, if Marco Wilson can be as good as Robert Alford, he might have dodged a huge bullet. I feel like I have been higher than most on Byron Murphy and think he is a good player. I also feel like Gowan has the skills to as a 4th CB at least.

Coming out of a draft with a 3rd and 5th CB (2nd and 4th if lucky) with two picks after the 3rd round is the draft equivalent to hitting the lottery

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree that Keim gambled with the CB room. That said, if Marco Wilson can be as good as Robert Alford, he might have dodged a huge bullet. I feel like I have been higher than most on Byron Murphy and think he is a good player. I also feel like Gowan has the skills to as a 4th CB at least.

Coming out of a draft with a 3rd and 5th CB (2nd and 4th if lucky) with two picks after the 3rd round is the draft equivalent to hitting the lottery
I agree wholeheartedly. Murphy has been a league average starter at corner, but he has more ceiling to tap. He looks to be in much better shape and his confidence is palpable. I think Murphy is a good starter in the NFL.

I'm pretty bullish on Wilson after the preseason. I think he'll struggle at times, but will also make plays.

Butler is a known quantity and has been a good starter at times, and gave up an 80ish QB Rating last year which is below league average. I don't believe in Alford, so I think the team should hedge their bets by keeping Dennard.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A CB room that has looked much better in the preseason...and I'm talking against the starters not the 3s.
I hope this can be a much better group at the position, because for us to have a good enough defense the group will have to be much, much better. I'm encouraged with some of the youth, but can't yet trust that it'll come through enough to cover the gaping gaps that counting on Alford et al will probably leave.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I hope this can be a much better group at the position, because for us to have a good enough defense the group will have to be much, much better. I'm encouraged with some of the youth, but can't yet trust that it'll come through enough to cover the gaping gaps that counting on Alford et al will probably leave.
I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not ready to crown them, but I think they have shown good film in the preseason.

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. Murphy has been a league average starter at corner, but he has more ceiling to tap. He looks to be in much better shape and his confidence is palpable. I think Murphy is a good starter in the NFL.

I'm pretty bullish on Wilson after the preseason. I think he'll struggle at times, but will also make plays.

Butler is a known quantity and has been a good starter at times, and gave up an 80ish QB Rating last year which is below league average. I don't believe in Alford, so I think the team should hedge their bets by keeping Dennard.

Because of his injury history, because of his skills, or both?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And his lack of production?

How can he produce if he isn't thrown the ball?

Last year he only got 34 targets, and had 21 receptions. That's not that bad of a ratio.
The year before 9 receptions on 13 targets.

Now I know you can say it's because he is not getting open. I don't think that is what it is, I think it is Kyler not feeling comfortable throwing over the middle or deep more than his ability to get open.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How can he produce if he isn't thrown the ball?

Last year he only got 34 targets, and had 21 receptions. That's not that bad of a ratio.
The year before 9 receptions on 13 targets.

Now I know you can say it's because he is not getting open. I don't think that is what it is, I think it is Kyler not feeling comfortable throwing over the middle or deep more than his ability to get open.
I think you're the only AI homer on this board. Maybe he's not getting looks because he's shown he can't handle it, and maybe he's not getting into the game for the same reasons. The dude just sucks. He needs a major, major bounce back to have any shot at a real career.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you're the only AI homer on this board. Maybe he's not getting looks because he's shown he can't handle it, and maybe he's not getting into the game for the same reasons. The dude just sucks. He needs a major, major bounce back to have any shot at a real career.
In football sometimes, the lower tier receivers have to show something early in their career or QBs just don't go to them.

Murray for some reason doesn't like going to Isabella with the ball. Was it a few of his drops or the way he body catches that eroded confidence? Either way, he doesn't have the team nor Murray's confidence and it is what it is.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But this shows how over valued the punt return is. 5 yards is nothing really unless you get pinned at the 5. Returning the punt to the 31 instead of the 26 isn’t going to really make the game in my opinion. Now 10 yards in big if it is within the 20. Punters that can change field position is huge
I'm old school

You do everything you can to gain an advantage

That means that any yards you can gain on any play, let alone ST's matters

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm old school

You do everything you can to gain an advantage

That means that any yards you can gain on any play, let alone ST's matters
I mean I don't disagree, but let's use this scenario:

If the roster spot is down to a guy who will average 3 yards more per punt return or a guy who averages a bit less, but could actually contribute to the offense, I'll take the guy who can contribute to the offense.

Obviously having a guy who can contribute as a returner AND help on offense is ideal. Even the great Devin Hester became too expensive because being the best punt returner of all time but not contributing on offense makes you worth a whole lot less.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know that this doesn't answer the 54 question, but I have four players, two offense, two defense who have stood out in the PS. And I guess they fall into the "Capt. Obvious" category:
1. Offense-Rondale Moore and Greg Dortch.
2. Defense-Zaven Collins and Marco Wilson.
It's been a while since I've been happy with our top three picks but I am this year. And I know that Dortch probably won't make the team, but, to me, he stood out in the PS and should make the team.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't understand the emphasis on preseason games. It doesn't really matter (I don't think) for the top 30 to 40-45 players (it does help sharpen the team skills and consistency if they play the starters)? I know absolutely nothing about the goings on with the teams and coaches and front office, or their practices and such, but, when I watch a game and listen to the TV commentators talking about players and plays they make, it doesn't seem to make any difference to who gets cut or not.

For instance, Parry, a player that was cut the other day, but as I recall, he did pretty well in the game that I saw. At least commentators mentioned his name.

This Dortch is the same way, he has looked (to me) to make some plays, but people think he will get cut. I would keep him just from the few plays I've noticed he's made. So, I think they mostly already have their mind made up to who they keep or not. The games don't matter.

So, there must be a lot that goes on that I'm not aware of or privy to. smh :shrug:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I know that this doesn't answer the 54 question, but I have four players, two offense, two defense who have stood out in the PS. And I guess they fall into the "Capt. Obvious" category:
1. Offense-Rondale Moore and Greg Dortch.
2. Defense-Zaven Collins and Marco Wilson.
It's been a while since I've been happy with our top three picks but I am this year. And I know that Dortch probably won't make the team, but, to me, he stood out in the PS and should make the team.
Dimukeje has caught the teams eye as well.

Wouldn't it be cool if Collins, Moore, Wilson, AND Dimukeje all became good players?

The 2003 draft produced 4 players that played at about a Pro Bowl level, two of which were about HOF level (Fitz and Dansby). Dansby was overlooked for years, but he was as good as the HOF players during his playing days.

The early returns look promising.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't understand the emphasis on preseason games. It doesn't really matter (I don't think) for the top 30 to 40-45 players (it does help sharpen the team skills and consistency if they play the starters)? I know absolutely nothing about the goings on with the teams and coaches and front office, or their practices and such, but, when I watch a game and listen to the TV commentators talking about players and plays they make, it doesn't seem to make any difference to who gets cut or not.

For instance, Parry, a player that was cut the other day, but as I recall, he did pretty well in the game that I saw. At least commentators mentioned his name.

This Dortch is the same way, he has looked (to me) to make some plays, but people think he will get cut. I would keep him just from the few plays I've noticed he's made. So, I think they mostly already have their mind made up to who they keep or not. The games don't matter.

So, there must be a lot that goes on that I'm not aware of or privy to. smh :shrug:
The fans here want to keep Dortch because he fits a very specific need that the Cardinals lack.

He has looked like a natural fit as a punt returner and it has been years since the Cardinals have had a good one.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dimukeje has caught the teams eye as well.

Wouldn't it be cool if Collins, Moore, Wilson, AND Dimukeje all became good players?

The 2003 draft produced 4 players that played at about a Pro Bowl level, two of which were about HOF level (Fitz and Dansby). Dansby was overlooked for years, but he was as good as the HOF players during his playing days.

The early returns look promising.

I'm not falling into the trap yet. I've been sucked in too many times by "X looks like a great draft pick" only for them to do nothing. Although I do think Collins, Moore and Wilson will all be very good players.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fans here want to keep Dortch because he fits a very specific need that the Cardinals lack.

He has looked like a natural fit as a punt returner and it has been years since the Cardinals have had a good one.

I don't think Keesean Johnson has been talked about enough either. He did nothing last year, to the point he was a healthy scratch for Isabella at the end of the season.

I don;t recall him ever contributing anything on ST's either. Kirk can play outside, they have Isabella down as an outside receiver, not a slot. Where does Keesean fit in this team? He might be a healthy scratch game 1.

You could make an argument for Dortch over Johnson.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Keesean only still around cause of relationship he build with K1 during rookie seasons. Only good thing you ever hear about him is that K1 trusts him.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Kee and Dortsch should be WR5/6 over Izzy. Kee and Dortsch have shown then can make contested catches and run above average routes. Izzy can't catch, contested or free, and his routes suck. Trade Izzy and a 3rd to Patriots for Gilmore or Jackson. Izzy fits with Belichek. We get either of Pats CB and they take Alfords spot on the 54.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
As Cardinal fans we have come to accept special teams as being able to tackle the return guy, reliable kicking but simply not botching the catch on returns is crap. I remember Jimmy Johnson talking about how important special teams were to success with field position and Dortch allows our return game something other than mark it where it was punted. I remember watching Vai Sikahema and looking forward to a team punting to us, as I did with Peterson in his prime... we need Dortch and Eno as return men

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kee and Dortsch should be WR5/6 over Izzy. Kee and Dortsch have shown then can make contested catches and run above average routes. Izzy can't catch, contested or free, and his routes suck. Trade Izzy and a 3rd to Patriots for Gilmore or Jackson. Izzy fits with Belichek. We get either of Pats CB and they take Alfords spot on the 54.

Why Johnson over Isabella? They were drafted the same year and Isabella has 100 more yards and 3x the touchdowns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard