Yikes

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The combined record for the five teams the Suns play on this upcoming road trip is 14-2. I'm hoping they can get at least two wins.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why people shouldn't get to excited yet about what they have seen. I am anxious to see how this team stacks up against some of the better teams. A few guys have really surprised me but I want to see how that translates with better competition.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As 82CardsGrad said in the thread "Channing Frye" . . .

Love the guy... but seriously, can we really compete with our center being our leading 3-point guy, and Grant Hill our leading rebounder??

. . . we're going to find out on this road trip how out-classed we can be when our "5" plays 23 feet from the basket, our "4" covers Center by default (he even jumps Center to start the game) and our "3" tops our "4" and "5" in rebounding.

If there were an award for the top "gimmick" team in the league, after 30 years of earning it, it would be the named the Phoenix Suns Futility trophy.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

. . . we're going to find out on this road trip how out-classed we can be when our "5" plays 23 feet from the basket, our "4" covers Center by default (he even jumps Center to start the game) and our "3" tops our "4" and "5" in rebounding.

If there were an award for the top "gimmick" team in the league, after 30 years of earning it, it would be the named the Phoenix Suns Futility trophy.
If you've hated our 30+ years of futility then why are you a fan of the team and why bother posting on messageboards? So we're not on the same level as the Lakers, Celtics, Cavs, Magic, Spurs & Nuggets... sure it sucks that we probably won't be competing for a championship, but it can still be an entertaining season. If you believe Donaghy (which I do) the NBA is rigged anyways so it's not even a professional sport anymore in my opinion.... just entertainment.

I don't see the complaint with having Channing Frye hitting 3's either... Mehmet Okur's been doing it for years and Utah still had pretty consistently successful seasons.

I expect the Suns to go 3-2 on the road trip with losses to Orlando & Boston.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Phoenix Suns Futility trophy.

Yah being one of the top 5 winningest franchises in NBA history sure is futility!

Get a clue, titles aren't the only thing. The Suns have always been a very good franchise, would you rather trade places with the Bucks? Theyve got RINGS after all and had a real big man once but theyve been terrible for a long time now.

You post endlessly about the Suns being a small, up tempo team without true bigs. Get over it already. Its not changing this year or anytime soon, you constantly harping on it just gets annoying. If you like basketball a certain way find a franchise that plays it that way. Personally I happen to love the way the Suns have generally played and thats part of why theyre my team. In todays world of "League Pass" theres no reason you can't go watch a team from any market who plays more the way youd like to watch. Why torture yourself if you hate small ball so much? Do yourself a favor and switch allegiances.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah being one of the top 5 winningest franchises in NBA history sure is futility!

Get a clue, titles aren't the only thing. The Suns have always been a very good franchise, would you rather trade places with the Bucks? Theyve got RINGS after all and had a real big man once but theyve been terrible for a long time now.

You post endlessly about the Suns being a small, up tempo team without true bigs. Get over it already. Its not changing this year or anytime soon, you constantly harping on it just gets annoying. If you like basketball a certain way find a franchise that plays it that way. Personally I happen to love the way the Suns have generally played and thats part of why theyre my team. In todays world of "League Pass" theres no reason you can't go watch a team from any market who plays more the way youd like to watch. Why torture yourself if you hate small ball so much? Do yourself a favor and switch allegiances.

Depends on your measuring stick. If your only counting the regular season, then....no you can't call the Suns futile. If your counting titles...that title does apply.

Give me a franchise that wins a ring every 10 to 15 years with horrible teams in between versus a team that never wins a title any day of the week.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on your measuring stick. If your only counting the regular season, then....no you can't call the Suns futile. If your counting titles...that title does apply.

Give me a franchise that wins a ring every 10 to 15 years with horrible teams in between versus a team that never wins a title any day of the week.

That's sure not my measuring stick! Watching a "horrible" team for 14 years would be 14 long seasons of total boredom and frustration, an incredible waste of time, and would probably make me lose my love for the sport--why bother with something that leaves you with no hope of success? A surprise title wouldn't even come close to making up for 1,148 games spent yawning.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Come on BC, you know more about basketball than this. You're looking extremely naive with this post. We know you hate the way the Suns play, always have, but even you can understand that having Channing ON OFFENSE at the 3 point line draws big man out of the paint. How is that a bad thing? Our "4" is also a better jumper than our "5", that's just athleticism. And our "3" gets all those rebounds because our "4" and "5" box out their men to allow him to get the board.

If you want to complain about Channing, complain about his defense. Having ANYONE hit 6 3-pointers in a game is a recipe for winning, regardless of who it is because they have to be guarded as well.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
There is no doubt that this road test will end in jubilation or continued frustration. I am prepared for the latter but hope for the former.

I tend to agree with BC about our past and present, however, I also remain optimistic that our style will catch several teams of balance and lead us to a hopeful playoff run. I never thought the Suns would make it back to the Western Conference Finals in 2006 after Amare and KT went down, but they did! They had some breaks go there way then, and they will need to have some breaks go their way again. Yes, some BIG BREAKS.

Grant and Channing are playing hard, Nash is has something to prove, and the rest of the cast of characters can get hot in stretches. Stranger things have happened. I would love to see this road trip end in jubilation.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's nothing gimmicky about the style of defense the Suns have been playing. It's not shut-down good, but it's been somewhat effective and a pleasant surprise. Players are rotating and where they're supposed to be. The Suns don't have a great presence on the perimeter so getting into the lane has been easy, but at least it's not a parade to the lane anymore.

I predict Stoudemire will foul out of twice as many games this year and the Suns will be better for it.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I ain't scurred. Amare has been a pleasant surprise in his team basketball mindset. It will take him a few more games to get back into basketball shape/mindset, but I will take 17/9/3/1 from him and the team 4-0.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no doubt that this road test will end in jubilation or continued frustration. I am prepared for the latter but hope for the former.

The answer is jubilation!!!:fans:

The Suns went 4-1 and now are 7-1 for the year. This team is so fun to watch and Nash is playing out of this world. Also, big props to Richardson. What a difference he makes when he is in the line-up. Some knocked Kerr for acquiring him but it's turned out to be a damn good move.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're calling of the Suns is right on your usual target!!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The combined record for the five teams the Suns play on this upcoming road trip is 14-2. I'm hoping they can get at least two wins.

Yep. Going 4-1 on this trip is absolutely meaningless. Now if it was 1-4 it would prove that we cannot beat good teams and we are not among the league's elite. But the wins are meaningless.

<<<sarcasm alert>>>>

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
It's going to be a tough week, with the Hornets followed by the Lakers (on TNT). If the Suns can beat the Lakers it would be a definite sign that we have a shot this year at something. I hope so , this team has showed a lot more heart in coming back than previous years when we'd get the 3 point shot in our face at the last seconds.

trueherotillman

Registered
Reaction score
Technically we are the best team in the league, at 7-1. That boston team's only loss? To us. I'm sure we're not going to win 70 games this year, but it's a damn good start. Keep it up fellas!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You're calling of the Suns is right on your usual target!!
Didn't you see my "I'm on board" thread prior to writing this?
As my posts have indicated over the years, I'm a basketball traditionalist, as well as a Type-A/anal retentive/tight ass personality -- a place for everything and everything in its place.

I like to see a traditional Center, a traditional Power Forward, etc., as well as equal parts of offense and defense, rebounds, blocks and steals.

But I'm going to make my best effort to enjoy the Suns strengths and Alvin Gentry's leadership. Not because the Suns have gotten off to a good start, but because of how they have gotten off to a good start.

Gentry seems to be recognizing each player's strengths and potential and giving them an opportunity to excel. I truly admire that. You take what you have and make it work.

He's using the Suns SSOL approach, but supporting it with sound coaching. A 9- or 10-man rotation vs.D'Antoni's 7. Taking defense seriously vs. making jokes about it. Developing young players vs. saying that it is not his job. I like it!

I'm on board. Go Suns.
I am very happy to have eaten crow. It's the most impressed I've been with a Suns head coach other than Cotton Fitzsimmons. It is what I've been wishing for all along.

You should have heard me during the John MacLeod era. :)

As I said in my third paragraph . . . "Not because the Suns have gotten off to a good start, but because of how they have gotten off to a good start."

I don't mean this egotistically (because I think you can see I don't post for that reason), but I was very rough on both D'Antoni's one-dimensional coaching of the Suns and Bob Melvin's mediocre managing of the D'backs and, damnit, they're both gone.

D'Antoni's Knicks are 1-7 and I don't think you'll find any baseball GM turning a team over to Melvin.

Alvin Gentry's the man! It's about time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't you see my "I'm on board" thread prior to writing this?

I am very happy to have eaten crow. It's the most impressed I've been with a Suns head coach other than Cotton Fitzsimmons. It is what I've been wishing for all along.

You should have heard me during the John MacLeod era. :)

As I said in my third paragraph . . . "Not because the Suns have gotten off to a good start, but because of how they have gotten off to a good start."

I don't mean this egotistically (because I think you can see I don't post for that reason), but I was very rough on both D'Antoni's one-dimensional coaching of the Suns and Bob Melvin's mediocre managing of the D'backs and, damnit, they're both gone.

D'Antoni's Knicks are 1-7 and I don't think you'll find any baseball GM turning a team over to Melvin.

Alvin Gentry's the man! It's about time.

I'm still in shock at BC's new optimism.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's sure not my measuring stick! Watching a "horrible" team for 14 years would be 14 long seasons of total boredom and frustration, an incredible waste of time, and would probably make me lose my love for the sport--why bother with something that leaves you with no hope of success? A surprise title wouldn't even come close to making up for 1,148 games spent yawning.

The measuring stick should always be a title. 2 in 15 years is better then 0 in 15 years regardless of what happened in between.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
The measuring stick should always be a title. 2 in 15 years is better then 0 in 15 years regardless of what happened in between.

A title is your measuring stick.
A title is my ultimate goal, that goes without saying, but a goal and a measuring stick are not the same. Realizing that only one of the 30 teams in the league will win the championship, my "measuring stick" is how well my team performs in pursuit of that goal--rather than suffering through 82 games feeling there's no way in hell it can possibly happen. I want to enjoy the sport and feel there's a chance for success. Watching a truly "horrible" team for 14 years would leave even a diehard fan disinterested to say the least. Despite your claim, my guess is we'd both be doing something else on game nights before year 14.