Will the Cards Foil the Dolphins’ Plan

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Give me a break...we played phenomenal against the undefeated Lions who is looking really good this year. Then we stayed with Baltimore at Baltimore. The Panthers has Olsen and excellent schemes and playcalling. Comparing us to the Dolphin is lazy, sorry. The defense is a major concern but remember it took Half a season for the defense to gel when we had Horton and Bowles. The NFL is adjusting with Km but KK isn’t adjusting to the speed. Teams are compiling tape against Km yet it seems like we aren’t evolving. I put this more with coaching then players. I just can’t see how we are the only team in the NFL that can’t defend against TE’s. Like everyone else can but we can’t?? We that slow or inept to adjust?? I don’t believe that, I believe have poor schemes and the wrong personnel signed by some fat guy.

Also the problem is Murray isn’t giving enough time. He didn’t have this problem is Oklahoma. His tape in OK SHOWS him making reads and progressions and scanning the field. He’s not having that luxury here. He did it against Detroit and Baltimore and was pushing the ball downfield but Carolina was coming hard and breaking the pocket in a FOUR MAN RUSH. That was abysmal. These coming games are a test for Murray and how he deals with adversity.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This board has lost its f'ing mind. This might be the worst post out of a long list of bad posts on this board. The team was 3-13 with the #1 overall pick. NEWSFLASH: This means they aren't very good. It means they are absent of talent across the board. It means they will need to rebuild the team. It means its a work in progress.

As far as Kyler, this was Murray's third game, yet reading some of the nonsense on here it seems like he is expected to be Tom Brady right out of the gate. His touch is off? Can he throw it in a box? LOL what games are you watching? You can question some things but his accuracy is not one of them. All things considered he should be a bright spot and a reason to be optimistic about the future. Kyler has been given rave reviews by pretty much everyone outside of ASFN. But hey. this board is where the "true fans are" LMAO. Instead lets trash the guy, for reasons only God knows. Maybe some of you really are that enamored with Josh Rosen or Bosa. Who knows. Either way its troubling and really an indictment of how irrational this board has become.

Go down the roster, starting with the defense, and then the o-line, and ask yourself how many of these guys would start on a playoff team, and then maybe reality will set in. Chandler Jones, MAYBE Buddha Baker, and MAYBE one day Byron Murphy. O-line, MAYBE DJ and that is a big if.

But no, let's just go on big rants about Kliff and Kyler. This board is embarassing.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think this post is ridiculous. The cards are way, way better than the dolphins.

Yes, they played like crap yesterday after the first drive in the third quarter - they also were in the game with the Ravens till the very end in an early game on the road.

Talk about overreaction. This years team is twice as good as last years, and that team got 3 wins somehow.

I was sort of having fun, but it’s worth noting the first pick goes to the worst record, not necessarily the worst team. I was just saying the Fins might well stumble into a win and if the Cards don’t, the Cards will pick ahead of them. The tie is irrelevant. Clearly if the Cards are the team we saw Sunday winning is not assured. Clearly the Cards were “in” the first 2 games but they couldn’t close the deal.

A better question is where will improvement come from? Where will KK get the input to change the play calling? Murray’s demeanor after quarter 1 didn’t convince me he could rally his team to overcome adversity. He needs to show determination, not disappointment. I keep waiting for more injury news on the O-line. Those who don’t study history are doomed to repeat it. This line has a terrible durability history. Overall I thought we’d see a creative, exciting offense. It looks more like dink and duck. Anyone still thinking Murray’s speed could compensate for a poor O-line. On defense this is the slowest overall team I’ve seen. It’s extremely difficult to coach around the lack of speed. When you’re allowing long runs and passes it’s hard to recover.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry , I love you but I think you went a little over the top.

I think Kliff’s behind on the learning curve. He said he it would be learning year for him and I think he’s about two games behind the curve. Although the design of the offense is predicated on spreading the field it’s not going to work if your 5 offensive linemen can’t hold up against a 4 man rush.

He needs to diversify a bit. I think running 22 personnel could change things up from time to time. Two tight ends can provide max protection, option to run the ball or one or both could be released into the pattern. I think it would force defenses to play closer to the line and open the field behind them a bit. If they don’t bring 8 in the box then run the damn ball.

I also think max protection would allow our wr’s to get down the field or find open spots complimenting Murray’s arm strength and accuracy.

I’m not suggesting abandoning KK’s offense. Just incorporate max protection from time to time.

We didn’t lose Sunday because the offense. The defense is deplorable. Wish I knew what we could do there.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I think Kliff’s behind on the learning curve. He said he it would be learning year for him and I think he’s about two games behind the curve. Although the design of the offense is predicated on spreading the field it’s not going to work if your 5 offensive linemen can’t hold up against a 4 man rush.

He needs to diversify a bit. I think running 22 personnel could change things up from time to time.

I agree completely on modifying the scheme. I’ve just seen too many new coaches who failed because they wanted to win their way. We just saw a coach fail forcing a 4-3 D on 3-4 personnel. He never got it. I’d love to see games I enjoyed. KK was not Murray’s choice in college. Can Murray take a beating & keep the faith in KK? Murray could retain faith in his ability and still lose faith in KK. Where do the Cards go if that happens? They seem all in on that relationship to me.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree completely on modifying the scheme. I’ve just seen too many new coaches who failed because they wanted to win their way. We just saw a coach fail forcing a 4-3 D on 3-4 personnel. He never got it. I’d love to see games I enjoyed. KK was not Murray’s choice in college. Can Murray take a beating & keep the faith in KK? Murray could retain faith in his ability and still lose faith in KK. Where do the Cards go if that happens? They seem all in on that relationship to me.

KM seems pretty upbeat actually - felt like the offense was having some success yesterday and he could move the ball against Carolina.

I actually feel that KK feels more pressure than KM during the game, but the adjustments from KK in terms of gameplan are actually pretty dramatic. Gives me hope that we will have a few games that click for all four quarters if our defense can play well enough that KK doesn't feel pressure to push the offense into discomfort.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You might be right

All I know is I’m going to tale the other teams TE for every fantasy league and their QB

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I think Kliff’s behind on the learning curve. He said he it would be learning year for him and I think he’s about two games behind the curve.

I think this is a fair take on Kingsbury.

Unfortunately, I have no idea why you would put a guy who is "behind the learning curve" in charge of your professional football team.

These are the concerns many cited in the offseason.

Much like the offseason, I am just hoping things will turn around.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, I have no idea why you would put a guy who is "behind the learning curve" in charge of your professional football team.

Well we did hear after he was hired that there was going to be a learning experience and his staff would figure out what will work and won’t in the pros. I’m sure they are still working on that. KK seems to be a smart flexible kind of guy.

Our offense although not dynamic seems to be evolving a little. I hope his coaching staff can help him adjust.

As far as the defense....ugh.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The offense has improved with each game. We had 4-5 very nice drives against Carolina. If Kirk & Sherfield don't drop passes, we score over 30 & maybe win. KK knew that Carolina would take away the longer passes, so we dink & dunk for 2 long TD drives that also utilized K1's legs. Again, something we didn't see in the first 2 games. He also lulled the Carolina D in to stop the shorter stuff & Murray threw a beauty to Kirk that we dropped. If we complete that, it's just another thing that Rivera would have to strategize against. You can't overcome those lost opportunities. When we became desperate & one dimensional, Rivera had his boys pin back their ears & bring it. Like it or not, that is something Carolina does very well.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This board has lost its f'ing mind. This might be the worst post out of a long list of bad posts on this board. The team was 3-13 with the #1 overall pick. NEWSFLASH: This means they aren't very good. It means they are absent of talent across the board. It means they will need to rebuild the team. It means its a work in progress.

As far as Kyler, this was Murray's third game, yet reading some of the nonsense on here it seems like he is expected to be Tom Brady right out of the gate. His touch is off? Can he throw it in a box? LOL what games are you watching? You can question some things but his accuracy is not one of them. All things considered he should be a bright spot and a reason to be optimistic about the future. Kyler has been given rave reviews by pretty much everyone outside of ASFN. But hey. this board is where the "true fans are" LMAO. Instead lets trash the guy, for reasons only God knows. Maybe some of you really are that enamored with Josh Rosen or Bosa. Who knows. Either way its troubling and really an indictment of how irrational this board has become.

Go down the roster, starting with the defense, and then the o-line, and ask yourself how many of these guys would start on a playoff team, and then maybe reality will set in. Chandler Jones, MAYBE Buddha Baker, and MAYBE one day Byron Murphy. O-line, MAYBE DJ and that is a big if.

But no, let's just go on big rants about Kliff and Kyler. This board is embarassing.
Considering that plenty of posters here were talking about "better than Russell Wilson" and "he will avoid all pressure and won't take sacks/hits," yeah.

There's some conspicuously missing posters who aren't around to discuss why we might need to give this team some more time.

We aren't good right now. We're awful. Just because we're a few shades better than last year's awful doesn't make a season that looks over after it's barely begun any easier to swallow. Especially because we took so many dramatic measures.

Of course there's a possibility that our coach and QB get in a rhythm and Pat P helps change the defense, but we're in a rough spot.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering that plenty of posters here were talking about "better than Russell Wilson" and "he will avoid all pressure and won't take sacks/hits," yeah.

There's some conspicuously missing posters who aren't around to discuss why we might need to give this team some more time.

We aren't good right now. We're awful. Just because we're a few shades better than last year's awful doesn't make a season that looks over after it's barely begun any easier to swallow. Especially because we took so many dramatic measures.

Of course there's a possibility that our coach and QB get in a rhythm and Pat P helps change the defense, but we're in a rough spot.
We are awful TODAY but that’s not because of K1 and K2. It’s because of mismanagement over the last 3 years with drafts , free agency and contracts that have painted us into a corner. Most of us understood we were going to take our lumps this year. Most of us were hoping to see a watchable team and I think K1 and K2 have filled that hope, at least to some degree.

The real intrigue comes after game 16. Will keim be the guy to build on this foundation? Right or wrong and whether you agree or disagree I think he will be given that chance.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Conspicuously missing posters?

Me? I'm here bro. This is about what I expected. Murray is way further ahead of your 170 yards per game prediction :p

I said, at best 6-10, with a two game swing either way.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Conspicuously missing posters?

Me? I'm here bro. This is about what I expected. Murray is way further ahead of your 170 yards per game prediction :p

I said, at best 6-10, with a two game swing either way.
Haha, I've missed some people because I was in Chicago all weekend.

Murray's ahead, but he's due to have a real struggle game where we don't get back in it. I mean, I hope not, but rookies gonna rook, regardless of who they are.

I've seen flashes, so I'm not freaking out here.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He needs to diversify a bit. I think running 22 personnel could change things up from time to time. Two tight ends can provide max protection, option to run the ball or one or both could be released into the pattern. I think it would force defenses to play closer to the line and open the field behind them a bit. If they don’t bring 8 in the box then run the damn ball.
They might lose a little explosiveness doing this, but it would allow more plays to develop down the field and it would also make the defense consider the possibility of a run as well.

Carolina was a prime example of this teams inability or unwillingness to run the ball as that is the most effective way to hurt that Carolina defense and yet they still attempted twice as many passes as runs.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
As far as the defense....ugh.

The worst part about being a fan right now.

I am still in awe of how Keim just DESTROYED this defense.

It was his hubris, as it is with much of his mistakes.

The defense was never the issue but he had to "make his mark" and instead of fixing what was broken, the offensive line, wide reciever depth, he fixed what wasn't broken to begin with.

Right now, besides Chandler Jones, who is playing well? Byron Murphy?

It is a sad state of affairs.

Reaction score
The worst part about being a fan right now.

I am still in awe of how Keim just DESTROYED this defense.

It was his hubris, as it is with much of his mistakes.

The defense was never the issue but he had to "make his mark" and instead of fixing what was broken, the offensive line, wide reciever depth, he fixed what wasn't broken to begin with.

Right now, besides Chandler Jones, who is playing well? Byron Murphy?

It is a sad state of affairs.

Our defense left when Bowles left.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
One on the bests assessments you’ve had Harry. Nice post.

One of the most concerning things, in which you eluded to, was, I was told after interviewing Murray is that he little concept of an offensive scheme and passing tree. That’s not Murray’s fault. That’s the Sooner offense.

Hell, Kyle and Kk both freely say they are running the same offense Murray ran in high school.

Think about that. They’re running a high school offense in the NFl against NFL defensive coordinators. That’s amazing and on KK.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn