Why is Ryan Williams still on this team...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yes, it would give us another player who could possibly see the field and contribute lol

Gotta be 8 players each and every week inactive. Carrying him has hardly hurt the team of the roster.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Gotta be 8 players each and every week inactive. Carrying him has hardly hurt the team of the roster.

You don't know that. They might have picked up a player who turned out to be another Arian Foster or Kurt Warner.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't know that. They might have picked up a player who turned out to be another Arian Foster or Kurt Warner.

Or Ryan Williams could be that guy! But now were both living in a fantasy land ;)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Or Ryan Williams could be that guy! But now were both living in a fantasy land ;)

You don't know that. The Cards might even have picked up a TE who could block.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Then why not put him on IR and pick up somebody else who could at least help out on the scout team or something?
I thought about that also.

Putting him on IR automatically puts him out for the year. Maybe the plan was not to play him all year, unless there's an emergency. In that case, he'd be available to fill in on a limited basis. Otherwise, just keep him inactive all year and it doesn't hurt the roster on the field.

Or maybe he's not injured "enough" to be an IR candidate. I don't know what the stipulations are for IR but I'm sure you just can't stash a guy on there with no legitimate injury just to keep him from being exposed to rest of the league. I'd bet, if caught doing that, the penalties would be severe.

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
Williams salary is guaranteed, so if you cut him or put him on IR, you would have to pay him and the new player, although it would likely be very little. It makes sense if they think they may use him next year if Mendenhall is gone, as someone else mentioned, but it's definitely a little odd.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back in October, my son Justin & I had beers with BA's brother in law at a bar in MD. It was the 1st question we asked. He said that William's knee wasn't ready. Plain & simple. The Cardinals had no plans to use him this year. It's sink or swim next year

This is the 2nd time I've heard this and IIRC it was a different poster.

Williams had legit RB ability and maybe he still does. He sure does seem injury prone and his body may not be able to handle the NFL.

I thought the same thing about Vanden Bosch after his 2nd knee injury in as many years. Thomas Jones didn't seem to be what he became until he left the Cards. Garrison Hearst can be added to this list.

Vast majority of fans thought Housler was just some dude and he could be replaced by just about any street FA. He isn't Graham or Gronk but this dude is starting to have an impact.

Williams being inactive is a bit curious but is also way down the worries scale.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And you don't know that he's not. ;)

Yes I do. Williams was terrible in the 8 minutes he has played the last 3 years. It's on film. He can't hide it.

$3,851,482.00 to ride a training bike. Good work if you can get it.

:D

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
If I'm RW, I'm lobbying hard for the KO return gig in 2014. He is two years removed from knee surgery. Either it works or it doesn't. He also knows he isn't going to be get any opportunities with the Cards without contributing on special teams.

If he shows anything as a return guy next pre-season, I could see a spot for him on the team as 3rd string/change-of-pace RB behind Ellington and Taylor.

If not, he's got the option to go Garrison Hearst on us and prove it with a different team.

Go Cards!!!

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
http://blog.azcardinals.com/2013/12/29/abraham-active-for-niners-ryan-williams-sits/

Running back Ryan Williams completes a season where he was healthy and inactive for every game — the only Card to not dress at least once.

I'd like to say he could have done better than Mendy but I can't. I would have liked to see him in there just to see where he is at, but he was riding the pine, and that's where he is at. I hope we didn't heal this guy up just to ship him off for free, and I know Keim likes him.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't see anybody picking Mendy up if we don't resign him, so he could be there all year waiting for us to call.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Ryan Williams can be a factor in 2014 then that would be a huge plus. I can't imagine he isn't at least as good as Mendy.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ryan Williams has the best job in the world. Serious question; how many years do you need to be on an NFL roster to qualify for the retirement pension?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ryan Williams has the best job in the world. Serious question; how many years do you need to be on an NFL roster to qualify for the retirement pension?

Its 5 years.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There must be a reason. IMO, I feel he's not fully healed. If the team loses Mendenhall, and even if they don't, and don't sign or draft a RB, will tell us how they feel about RW.

Last edited:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
There must be a reason. IMO, I feel he's not fully healed. If the team loses Mendenhall, and even if they don't, and don't sign or draft a RB, will tell us how they feel about RW.

I think you are 100% correct that the coaches didn't believe his knee was good to go this year. BA knows how good RW was at VT---BA is a VT alum. The ultimate hope would be that RW, a year stronger and healthier, will return to his old form. Look how long it took Mendenhall.

Even so, one cannot imagine BA and the coaches are confident RW could assume the bell cow starting RB role that Mendenhall played this year. But, in certain packages where they want to flex Ellington out to the slot and still have a speed threat at RB, RW could find a niche in the offense.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If he was still injured, then why wasn't he put on the injured reserve list?

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Which leads us to this question after all this productive discussion...why is Ryan Williams still on this football team lol

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Proteus asks the question, why wasn't RW, if still injured, put on IR? I certainly don't KNOW the answer, but my LOGICAL GUESS would be that they expected/hoped that he'd heal during the season. But by the time he did (if he ever did) they were reluctant to break up a RB crew that they liked. Keep in mind, BA really likes Mendenhall. JMO.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proteus asks the question, why wasn't RW, if still injured, put on IR? I certainly don't KNOW the answer, but my LOGICAL GUESS would be that they expected/hoped that he'd heal during the season. But by the time he did (if he ever did) they were reluctant to break up a RB crew that they liked. Keep in mind, BA really likes Mendenhall. JMO.

wiliams is on record stating he is healthy and ready to play in like week 5 or 6.said he had the freshest legs on the team.