Why is Ryan Williams still on this team...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This is one of the most confusing episodes in Cardinal player history, and that is saying a lot. Is it money, something personal...what the hell. Win or lose, could some interviewer ask Arians with Ellington out of the line up why Williams did not play if he is inactive for this game. This looks idiotic from a player management side

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saving him for the playoffs? :shrug:

Seriously, as Ryanwb used to say - "I got nothing." :|

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Rugby has already answered this question. I would guess a lot of teams only have 3 RB's active on Sundays. The caveat being ST's which is why Fonz and Talyor are active on Sundays.

Brittan Golden is active today so we get back our speed demon. :)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I wish those Doug & Wolf homers would just straight up ask Keim that question every Mon morning.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think Rugby has already answered this question. I would guess a lot of teams only have 3 RB's active on Sundays. The caveat being ST's which is why Fonz and Talyor are active on Sundays.

Brittan Golden is active today so we get back our speed demon. :)

I did.

But after this game ? I dunno.

If Williams doesn't come in when Ellington goes down, then I have no idea why he is on the roster.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a mystery why he never sees the field. Must be something the coaches know and won't reveal.

But why carry him on the roster? Is his rehab coming along better? Is he running not scared in practice? Did he re-injure himself? Lots of questions.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
He is under contract for 2014. Rashard Mendenhall is not.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I did.

But after this game ? I dunno.

If Williams doesn't come in when Ellington goes down, then I have no idea why he is on the roster.

See?

He is under contract for 2014. Rashard Mendenhall is not.

What do these two things have to do with one another? Ryan Williams's production (zero) can be easily replaced by a street free agent, low-round rookie, or undrafted rookie free agent.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
See?

What do these two things have to do with one another? Ryan Williams's production (zero) can be easily replaced by a street free agent, low-round rookie, or undrafted rookie free agent.

Someone in the front office thinks he can be productive in 2014. I'm not obsessed with cutting him {or retaining him on the roster}. On the list of concerns, his place on the roster is at the bottom.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I was under the impression that we were keeping him because Keim thinks he still has something in the tank. I do not think that Arians believes this, but out of respect of Keim has agreed to keep him on the roster. This allows Keim to save face on a second round draft pick and keeps it happy between the two. Just my opinion, I have no facts to back it up.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Look, I know why he is still on the team. The guy is a joy in the locker room and always has a joke that brightens everyone's day which spreads sunshine and moonbeams out of their butts after a tough loss :)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back in October, my son Justin & I had beers with BA's brother in law at a bar in MD. It was the 1st question we asked. He said that William's knee wasn't ready. Plain & simple. The Cardinals had no plans to use him this year. It's sink or swim next year

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did he get banned btw? He was a funny dude.

I always wondered that too. He must have gotten banned when I was on haitus or something since I've been around here since about day 1. Wasn't any of my business so I didn't ask. You just made me curious about it. Didn't understand Rugby's mark it zero answer either.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Back in October, my son Justin & I had beers with BA's brother in law at a bar in MD. It was the 1st question we asked. He said that William's knee wasn't ready. Plain & simple. The Cardinals had no plans to use him this year. It's sink or swim next year

Then why play him in the preseason? Was Fez at the bar, as well?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Hopefully that's the case. That would explain keeping him around.

I'm not counting on anything from Williams next year but I guess stranger things have happened.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hopefully that's the case. That would explain keeping him around.

I'm not counting on anything from Williams next year but I guess stranger things have happened.

Then why not put him on IR and pick up somebody else who could at least help out on the scout team or something?

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Then why not put him on IR and pick up somebody else who could at least help out on the scout team or something?

That's what I thought. Maybe they want him to be able to go at it some in practice this year. Can they practice any if they are on IR?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort