Why I Like Josh Rosen

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The 49ers have a better offensive line AND better receivers, not to mention what many consider a TOP FIVE PLAYCALLER. You can remove all of the relevant parts of an argument to make your point, or you can choose to actually formulate a good argument.

Hence why I said it's really hard to evaluate him based on what we are seeing.
Cardinals 2-0 vs 49ers minus Nick Mullens. Josh Rosen's stats are historically terrible. His season has been one of the worst ever in NFL history. Those are the facts. You can hope and pray that Rosen ends up being a servicable QB, and I hope he ends up being great, but to make an argument that he has done anything to prove himself as a competent NFL QB is just drinking :koolaid:. His rookie season has been an F. Anyone, ANYONE not a Cardinals homer would agree.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cardinals 2-0 vs 49ers minus Nick Mullens. Josh Rosen's stats are historically terrible. His season has been one of the worst ever in NFL history. Those are the facts. You can hope and pray that Rosen ends up being a servicable QB, and I hope he ends up being great, but to make an argument that he has done anything to prove himself as a competent NFL QB is just drinking :koolaid:. His rookie season has been an F. Anyone, ANYONE not a Cardinals homer would agree.
This is wrong. Most people not Cardinals fans are giving him a pass just like they are also advocating for Wilks to get another year. Nobody goes all-in or all-out on players/coaches like their own fans.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I give him an incomplete and I consider myself a glass half empty kind of guy

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think expecting improvement as the year progresses is too much to ask, especially from the #10 overall pick. He has regressed, not gotten better.

Again, it's pretty bizarre seeing all of the excuses made for Rosen. Nothing bad that he does is his fault for some reason. Nick Mullens comes into a similar situation and has shined, won games, and made the 49ers better. But here in AZ, Rosen is doing his best Ryan Lindley impression and everyone is cool with it. He is receiving a free pass and no one, especially the #10 overall pick, deserves a free pass.

But hey, Rosen has grit and whatever
Again, how can you expect improvement from your rookie QB when nobody on the team is improving? It is silly.

By your logic, how players are used or what sitautions they are put in doesn't really matter. David Johnson should go because he is not playing better despite Leftwich routinely slamming him up the middle. Larry Fitzgerald should have been let go in 2012 after he had the worse year of his career despite his offensive coaches only lining him up outside where his lack of speed was detrimental.

And it isn't that anyone is saying he is playing well. It is just the statement that you can't evaluate a player when he is consistently put in situations to fail. Remember, Todd Gurley was terrible under Jeff Fisher...now he is arguably to best RB in the league. What changed?

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again, how can you expect improvement from your rookie QB when nobody on the team is improving? It is silly.

By your logic, how players are used or what sitautions they are put in doesn't really matter. David Johnson should go because he is not playing better despite Leftwich routinely slamming him up the middle. Larry Fitzgerald should have been let go in 2012 after he had the worse year of his career despite his offensive coaches only lining him up outside where his lack of speed was detrimental.

And it isn't that anyone is saying he is playing well. It is just the statement that you can't evaluate a player when he is consistently put in situations to fail. Remember, Todd Gurley was terrible under Jeff Fisher...now he is arguably to best RB in the league. What changed?

Exactly! I don't understand why a player has to get an A or F when there are so many other variables going on which make a clear assessment of an individual player impossible

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You can judge him based on his competition on the depth chart. I would love to see Glennon play on Sunday. It would give a chance to evaluate Glennon and Rosen at the same time and I'm pretty sure Glennon would look better than Rosen, just like every other QB in the NFL has looked this year.

The lens through which you’re evaluating is wrong. You’re saying that Rosen in his development should be much further along despite the difficult circumstances surrounding him. Those same circumstances are minimizing the contributions of many players, including Fitz and Johnson. Put any of the other four first-round rookie QBs behind this line and under this leadership and they’d all falter. If Glennon were to perform better, it’d mean absolutely nothing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

So I guess all my points were irrefutable, since you didn't argue anything I stated?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rosen hasn't thrown a TD pass in the last four games. FOUR GAMES. He has had a horrific, if not the worst season of any Cardinals rookie since they have been in AZ.

But he gets a free pass. It's everyone's fault but Josh. Coaches suck. WRs suck. Line sucks.

Trent Sherfield and Chad Williams could say that the only reason people think they suck is because their QB sucks.

There isn't even a moment that gives hope for the future. He was AWFUL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Rosen hasn't thrown a TD pass in the last four games. FOUR GAMES. He has had a horrific, if not the worst season of any Cardinals rookie since they have been in AZ.

But he gets a free pass. It's everyone's fault but Josh. Coaches suck. WRs suck. Line sucks.

Trent Sherfield and Chad Williams could say that the only reason people think they suck is because their QB sucks.

In 2016, Todd Gurley DIDN'T score a TD in 11 of 16 games. He averaged 3.2 yards per carry. He got a free pass. It was everyone's fault but Todd. Coaches sucked. WRs sucked. Line sucked. Where is he now? What changed? Because Todd Gurley didn't change.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This part isn't true. There have been plenty of great individual throws, especially early, where Rosen looked good. He looked really good two weeks ago on that out-route to Ricky Seals-Jones that RSJ flat dropped, for example.

The Cards offense hasn't been above-average in a single game this season. None. Is it Josh's fault that David Johnson sucks? No. It's not even really D.J.'s fault. The Cards run between the guards 72% of the time, and they're 27th in the NFL in yards per rush in that area.

In 2016, the Cards ran outside the tackles a combined 18% of the time. This year they're doing it 11.4% of the time.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Dodging again. I sure love winning bigly on the internet.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

So the line, coaches and WRs are fine and an undeveloped rookie is supposed to come in and make them all-world?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So the line, coaches and WRs are fine and an undeveloped rookie is supposed to come in and make them all-world?

Whoa their William Wallace! Don't approach this with a modicum of a good argument. He'll retort "Der Rosenz sux! Sucky suck sucks!"

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dodging again. I sure love winning bigly on the internet.
Dodging your points? No, I was ignoring them because none of them are based on facts. It's just your opinion twisted to make excuses for Rosen's Ryan Lindley impression. "The Niners have better WRs." Stellar analysis. Can you also say "The Niners have a better QB." Of course not, because that won't fit your narrative. Maybe the AZ WRs would look better if the guy throwing the ball read defenses.

If Rosen wasn't drafted #10 overall, no one would defend the mess of a season that he has put up. When Bradford was playing everyone wanted to run the guy out of town and now that Rosen is actually worse, well it's everyone else's fault. Double standard.

It is what it is. We all want the same thing. All I am saying is that they need a backup plan in case he isn't the answer.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dodging your points? No, I was ignoring them because none of them are based on facts. It's just your opinion twisted to make excuses for Rosen's Ryan Lindley impression. "The Niners have better WRs." Stellar analysis. Can you also say "The Niners have a better QB." Of course not, because that won't fit your narrative. Maybe the AZ WRs would look better if the guy throwing the ball read defenses.

If Rosen wasn't drafted #10 overall, no one would defend the mess of a season that he has put up. When Bradford was playing everyone wanted to run the guy out of town and now that Rosen is actually worse, well it's everyone else's fault. Double standard.

It is what it is. We all want the same thing. All I am saying is that they need a backup plan in case he isn't the answer.

My narrative? All I have said DB is that under the circumstances, it's hard to judge.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This part isn't true. There have been plenty of great individual throws, especially early, where Rosen looked good. He looked really good two weeks ago on that out-route to Ricky Seals-Jones that RSJ flat dropped, for example.

He made a few good individual throws? That is a what we are hanging the hopes of the franchise on? He leads the league in pick sixes and should have more. You want to talk about dropped balls? Hell the Green Bay game should have ended on a Rosen pick that was dropped. He has thrown far more terrible passes than good. The way he is being praised you would think he was up for Rookie of the Year. :koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He made a few good individual throws? That is a what we are hanging the hopes of the franchise on? He leads the league in pick sixes and should have more. You want to talk about dropped balls? Hell the Green Bay game should have ended on a Rosen pick that was dropped. He has thrown far more terrible passes than good. The way he is being praised you would think he was up for Rookie of the Year. :koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

Who are these people? Where are these posts?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How many pick sixes were tipped balls; poor route running; throwing to a spot not reached by the receiver?

Strange (and not in keeping with your 'narrative') all pick sixes are not alike and the sole responsibility of the QB?

How many pick sixes did the older Manning have in his first season?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was going to go back and take apart his response to my point, but don't feel the need. I think the board's response as a whole did well in my absence.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did you have this same disdain for Jared Goff post rookie season?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson