Why I Like Josh Rosen

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Can you name me a rookie QB who had his OC fired midway through the season, had an Offesive line that was literally guys off the street and has the worst WR core in the NFL.

He's been put in an impossible situation. This is the worst Cardinal team in 30 years. I honestly don't see how anyone can have such a strong opinion on him good or bad.

X2 On the WR core. Our “number 2” receiver Chad Williams has 12 catches for 120 yards. All year. Injured or not that is horrible production.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can you name me a rookie QB who had his OC fired midway through the season, had an Offesive line that was literally guys off the street and has the worst WR core in the NFL.

He's been put in an impossible situation. This is the worst Cardinal team in 30 years. I honestly don't see how anyone can have such a strong opinion on him good or bad.

I'm a fan of Josh Rosen, and I think he's poised to take a big step forward next year. That doesn't change the fact that he's sucked this year and has done almost nothing to elevate the players around him.

I think people should point to Alex Smith's rookie year. 1 TD, 11 INTs, 29 sacks in 9 games. (Worth remembering that Mike McCarthy was his OC) He's turned into a more than adequate starter.

But let's not play around here; Rosen's rookie season is significantly worse than someone like E.J. Manuel's, and it's fine for that to be a concern.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
People forget that Rosen has had a new OC for what seems like every year in college and 2 in his first NFL season alone. You give him a good OC, some semblance of an OL and a couple of guys in addition to Larry and then you can call him a bust if he still doesn’t develop.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but that was 20 years ago. Can anyone cite an example that looks this bad from this millennium and worked out?

Jared Goff? he didn't play as much but 5 TD 7 picks 54.6% and a QBR of 18.9. Maybe he'd have gotten better if he'd played more but remember the reason he didn't play more is he was so clearly in over his head in preseason and camp that they didn't want to play him.

Now that doesn't mean Rosen is going to put up 28 TD to 7 INT in year 2 like Goff did but their rookie years were quite similar, Josh just played nearly twice as much.

My big concerns on Josh, all the late throws and backfoot stuff that's really bad habits he got into. the pick six stuff, way too many of those. The continuing to make the same mistake all year long.

The stuff you like, great arm, very bright kid, we don't know yet if it translates to football smart, again he threw lots of INT's in college too said that all along, but he's VERY smart. it's not a case of him not being able to understand, it's the game slowing down and in his case it had to REALLY slow down because he had such bad protection this year. Goff was arguably worse except I don't think he threw all the pick sixes. He was 0-7 in games he started.

I have no idea how Josh is going to turn out, I expected him to get better this year and he didn't.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that we need to give him a little more of a chance than 3/4 of a season to show what he is/has. After all, we did draft him to be our qbotf. Don't give up on him just yet.

Find out what he is and what kind of a system he is best in, then build around him. There has to be some reason why people dubbed him the most nfl ready quarterback coming out of college.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People forget that Rosen has had a new OC for what seems like every year in college and 2 in his first NFL season alone. You give him a good OC, some semblance of an OL and a couple of guys in addition to Larry and then you can call him a bust if he still doesn’t develop.
Yup. This doesn’t get expressed enough.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a concrete example of talented quarterbacks struggling as rookies. That's why it matters.
Manning and Aikmen were long ago in a non QB friendly era. Rosen is in a QB/WR friendly era.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Jared Goff? he didn't play as much but 5 TD 7 picks 54.6% and a QBR of 18.9. Maybe he'd have gotten better if he'd played more but remember the reason he didn't play more is he was so clearly in over his head in preseason and camp that they didn't want to play him.

Now that doesn't mean Rosen is going to put up 28 TD to 7 INT in year 2 like Goff did but their rookie years were quite similar, Josh just played nearly twice as much.

My big concerns on Josh, all the late throws and backfoot stuff that's really bad habits he got into. the pick six stuff, way too many of those. The continuing to make the same mistake all year long.

The stuff you like, great arm, very bright kid, we don't know yet if it translates to football smart, again he threw lots of INT's in college too said that all along, but he's VERY smart. it's not a case of him not being able to understand, it's the game slowing down and in his case it had to REALLY slow down because he had such bad protection this year. Goff was arguably worse except I don't think he threw all the pick sixes. He was 0-7 in games he started.

I have no idea how Josh is going to turn out, I expected him to get better this year and he didn't.

Yeah, maybe. But are we sure Jared Goff is good? Like, if you need a coach to be in your head controlling you like a marionette, the chances of Rosen succeeding are very small.

One of the things Rams players said about Goff's rookie season was that he didn't play enough to get scars. That may be true; I don't know. I think that Alex Smith probably got scars that he never fully recovered from. It's going to take a good coach to break those bad habits.

We're gonna have to find someone Rosen is going to trust.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe. But are we sure Jared Goff is good? Like, if you need a coach to be in your head controlling you like a marionette, the chances of Rosen succeeding are very small.

One of the things Rams players said about Goff's rookie season was that he didn't play enough to get scars. That may be true; I don't know. I think that Alex Smith probably got scars that he never fully recovered from. It's going to take a good coach to break those bad habits.

Well I get what you mean, goff despite the stats still seems a bit dicey to me, but he is an example of a guy who played even worse than Rosen as a rookie and since then has 56 TD and 19 picks.

The scary thing on Josh is as I said, his best start was his first, he got worse as the season went on. Now you can say we lost Kirk, we lost most of the OL, we changed OC's, so there are reasons why he got worse, but it's still a conern.

He has the arm, he has the smarts, it's all the other stuff that's going to make or break him and it's too early to see.

I don't know if he's going to be good or not, it's too early and too dependent on other things, but I do know he was in a very bad situation this year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many times I watched a simple wr screen where the ball was out of Rosen’s hand in a second and he still got knock down. Like him or not we will build a team around him while taking advantage of his rookie salary. If he isn’t the guy we hope he is we will start all over at qb but if our front office does the right things we should have s solid team around him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

It’s hard to rank Goff with the amount of talent surrounding him. Their backup RB just picked off the street is averaging over 8 YPC. :computer:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Rosen is a franchise QB and I am happy we found a way to draft him. Every damn thing he has done character wise has exceeded what one would hope from a rookie, so all the crap prior to the draft you can chunk into the toilet. He has gone from virtually a bad OC to a OC strapped to the system previously installed who never was a coordinator. Then you have a OL and WR group which would not even amount to a second depth chart on most teams

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm happy to have a young guy to build around.

This year was a disaster in every aspect for the Cardinals. Horrible, predictable playcalling. Lack of talent on the OL AND WR.

Scrap everything and start over. Bring in two veteran WRs (Tyrell Williams? Conley?) and rebuild the OL. Give Rosen a mulligan, but next year will be the year that you will start to expect him to take a bit of a leap. If he doesn't? Bring in another QBOF and move on. I'm tired of the Cardinals continually going with old guys, the Cardinals need to move on from that model.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rosen has shown nothing. If this guy was a 4th round pick everyone would universally be saying how much he sucks and we would be taking about drafting a QB but since he is the #10 overall he gets a free pass. He may end up being good, but as of today he isn't, no matter how many excuses are tossed his way. 87 yards passing. Makes Bradford look like Johnny Unitas.

I hope he ends up being the QB for the next decade but I'm not delusional either. There are no guarantees and he needs to show massive improvement in 2019. The team also needs a legit QB to challenge him. This is all assuming the pieces around him improve, because how can they not.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rosen has shown nothing. If this guy was a 4th round pick everyone would universally be saying how much he sucks and we would be taking about drafting a QB but since he is the #10 overall he gets a free pass. He may end up being good, but as of today he isn't, no matter how many excuses are tossed his way. 87 yards passing. Makes Bradford look like Johnny Unitas.

I hope he ends up being the QB for the next decade but I'm not delusional either.

Synonyms of hyperbole:

caricature, colouring, elaboration, embellishment, embroidering, embroidery,
exaggeration, magnification, overstatement, padding, stretching

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I hope he ends up being the QB for the next decade but I'm not delusional either. There are no guarantees and he needs to show massive improvement in 2019. The team also needs a legit QB to challenge him. This is all assuming the pieces around him improve, because how can they not.

Can you please cite/quote the posts where anyone is saying that Josh Rosen is playing well right now?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can you please cite/quote the posts where anyone is saying that Josh Rosen is playing well right now?
Lmao. It's not about saying "he is playing well." It's about the massive amounts of deflected blame for his terrible performance each week. No, I'm not going to quote every post on ASFN than makes excuses for Rosen.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't really think we will even need to see massive improvement next year but rather just some improvement and getting configurable with the NFL speed of the game. He will likely have a new OC he must adjust to and that will just take time. In many ways next year will be another rookie year for him because of all the changes he will probably deal with.

Make no mistake, he has to show improvement next year and needs to start elevating the players around him.