Why I Like Josh Rosen

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't really think we will even need to see massive improvement next year but rather just some improvement and getting configurable with the NFL speed of the game. He will likely have a new OC he must adjust to and that will just take time. In many ways next year will be another rookie year for him because of all the changes he will probably deal with.

Make no mistake, he has to show improvement next year and needs to start elevating the players around him.

So... which is it?

I don't understand how people can already be making excuses for Rosen's play next year. You get drafted high because you're expected/anticipated to overcome these challenges.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So... which is it?

I don't understand how people can already be making excuses for Rosen's play next year. You get drafted high because you're expected/anticipated to overcome these challenges.

My last sentence speaks to my expectations. I am not making excuses but am tempering my expectations because reality will set in assuming Wilks gets fired.

He must show improvement and elevate players around him next year as he is dealing with all the likely change.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
we will find out next season if this dude is going to be our QBOTF or not. The FO will build around him and get him help. If he's still passing for 87 yards a game it may be time to look elsewhere.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think next year will be a 2nd rookie year. We will hopefully hire a new coach early on, Rosen will get the playbook, and will go into minicamp and training camp knowing that he's the guy. He's going to get the lion's share of the practice reps and hopefully take the time to build rapport with the offensive newcomers. It's a totally different situation from being a rookie, getting backup and 3rd string playing time and reps, then being tossed into the fire when the starter sucks.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am still optimistic about him, but I would be lying if I said my optimism is nearly as high now as it was in the beginning of the year.

Rosen has faced far more adversity this year than any rookie QB should, but he also hasn't thrown a TD pass in the last 4 games. At least to his own team. These are the kind of stats that worry me. He would obviously be doing much better with more talent around him, but our starting QB shouldn't be 3rd on the team in TD passes thrown in the last month, no matter what the situation. Not the look you want from the guy who was considered the most pro-ready QB in the draft.

But he is playing for Wilks and Co, so it still could be the organization's general ineptitude rubbing off on him.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Thanks Harry and I agree completely. Give Rosen a decent O-line and a couple of good receivers this off-season with a decent coaching staff and he should be fine.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Can you please cite/quote the posts where anyone is saying that Josh Rosen is playing well right now?

I’ll settle for what Warner said about the situation in The Athletic, “Like Glennon, Warner believes Rosen will become a more accurate passer over time as he better understands defenses and becomes more accepting of the check-down throw.

Oh, and getting him some teammates who can pass block and catch passes wouldn’t hurt.”

“Obviously there are a lot of issues on the offensive line and there are not a lot of weapons on the outside,” Warner said. “I think that’s why you’ve seen the season you’ve seen out him.”

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I miss Sammy - we would have still sucked as a team - but wouldn’t have had the worse qb in the nfl - this year or next

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I miss Sammy - we would have still sucked as a team - but wouldn’t have had the worse qb in the nfl - this year or next

Bradford is trash! Which is why teams like the Redskins who desperately needed a QB didn’t even sniff him and are playing no names. NO ONE believes he is not garbage, seriously no one, he is done and has been for some time even in his own mind.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's why I still like Rosen:

1. He's a Cardinal.

2. In the few chances he's had at crunch time, he's shown me flashes.

3. He's Jewish :)

But come on folks... if he looked like this on another team and wasn't a Cardinal, I'd venture to guess 95% of us would be beyond skeptical he ever ends up something. Hell, go back and look at what almost everyone on this board was saying about Goff or Trubitsky last year.

I'm not writing him off. He gets next year to show a true decent amount of improvement. Until then, jury's completely out on him for me.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Rosen has shown nothing. If this guy was a 4th round pick everyone would universally be saying how much he sucks and we would be taking about drafting a QB but since he is the #10 overall he gets a free pass. He may end up being good, but as of today he isn't, no matter how many excuses are tossed his way. 87 yards passing. Makes Bradford look like Johnny Unitas.

I hope he ends up being the QB for the next decade but I'm not delusional either. There are no guarantees and he needs to show massive improvement in 2019. The team also needs a legit QB to challenge him. This is all assuming the pieces around him improve, because how can they not.

I guess a few 4th-quarter comebacks are considered nothing these days :rolleyes:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bradford isn't trash and was never considered so, until this year. This coaching group made a talented nine year veteran look like he never held a football before. It's amazing Rosen is still in one piece.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I’ll settle for what Warner said about the situation in The Athletic, “Like Glennon, Warner believes Rosen will become a more accurate passer over time as he better understands defenses and becomes more accepting of the check-down throw.

Oh, and getting him some teammates who can pass block and catch passes wouldn’t hurt.”

“Obviously there are a lot of issues on the offensive line and there are not a lot of weapons on the outside,” Warner said. “I think that’s why you’ve seen the season you’ve seen out him.”

Nicely said by Mr.Warner.Since he is a guy who had some experience and did pretty well playing QB I think I would take his opinion over some whiny ass keyboard jockeys.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am waiting for the game to slow down for him. I have not seen him throw a ball on time in weeks. Glennon come in and his first throw was an out route which he delivered before the receiver made his break.
It will happen fast if we can protect him better and get him a decent OC.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
One of the knocks on him coming out of college was his arrogance. It is still there. When the ego outweighs the "live for another play" mentality, bad shiite can happen. Too many years of waiting for a Cardinal QB to "develop". The management of him seemed awkward at best. Learning under fire has a downside. Don't know whose concept this was, but the result was a disaster. Many a young QB, historically, has had the game beat out of him.
Or you could call it self-awareness. When you know that you have to do more just for your offense to have a chance, you take more risks. The same knock was on Mahomes out of college. His answer was that if you watched the games, he knew going in that he was going to have to score 40+ to win. You can't punt or check down and score 40+ in the conference. You have to risks and throw balls that might become turnovers.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I believe in Rosen, so let me put that out there to start.

That being said, how can you evaluate any one player on a team and in a season as dysfunctional as this one has been? Patrick Peterson is a future Hall of Famer, and even he has looked less impact-full over this season. David Johnson has gone from a potential top 5 NFL RB to a "timid and disinterested" player. Larry Fitzgerald has gone from 163 targets, 109 catches, and 1156 yards to 103 targets, 65 catches, and 698 yards. If players of this caliber are impacted this negatively, it shouldn't be a shock when the rookie QB plays far below his talent level.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess a few 4th-quarter comebacks are considered nothing these days :rolleyes:
Lol. Why did they need to comeback in the first place? Oh yeah it's because of the incompetence of the offense and the QB. 3 total wins and you are celebrating his "comebacks." Lol.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe in Rosen, so let me put that out there to start.

That being said, how can you evaluate any one player on a team and in a season as dysfunctional as this one has been? Patrick Peterson is a future Hall of Famer, and even he has looked less impact-full over this season. David Johnson has gone from a potential top 5 NFL RB to a "timid and disinterested" player. Larry Fitzgerald has gone from 163 targets, 109 catches, and 1156 yards to 103 targets, 65 catches, and 698 yards. If players of this caliber are impacted this negatively, it shouldn't be a shock when the rookie QB plays far below his talent level.
You can judge him based on his competition on the depth chart. I would love to see Glennon play on Sunday. It would give a chance to evaluate Glennon and Rosen at the same time and I'm pretty sure Glennon would look better than Rosen, just like every other QB in the NFL has looked this year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can judge him based on his competition on the depth chart. I would love to see Glennon play on Sunday. It would give a chance to evaluate Glennon and Rosen at the same time and I'm pretty sure Glennon would look better than Rosen, just like every other QB in the NFL has looked this year.

Right, and Glennon has had years of NFL experience.

Rosen is still getting used to the speed and complexity of the NFL game. Guys like Glennon can come in for brief spurts and look decent, but get exposed when teams have a bit of tape on them.

I think you can't really evaluate Rosen properly under the current circumstances. What I'm looking at right now if I'm a pro personnel guy, is more how he handles the adversity and how he reacts in the locker room.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And what exactly is your freaking point and what should the Cards do with it?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right, and Glennon has had years of NFL experience.

Rosen is still getting used to the speed and complexity of the NFL game. Guys like Glennon can come in for brief spurts and look decent, but get exposed when teams have a bit of tape on them.

I think you can't really evaluate Rosen properly under the current circumstances. What I'm looking at right now if I'm a pro personnel guy, is more how he handles the adversity and how he reacts in the locker room.
I don't think expecting improvement as the year progresses is too much to ask, especially from the #10 overall pick. He has regressed, not gotten better.

Again, it's pretty bizarre seeing all of the excuses made for Rosen. Nothing bad that he does is his fault for some reason. Nick Mullens comes into a similar situation and has shined, won games, and made the 49ers better. But here in AZ, Rosen is doing his best Ryan Lindley impression and everyone is cool with it. He is receiving a free pass and no one, especially the #10 overall pick, deserves a free pass.

But hey, Rosen has grit and whatever

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think expecting improvement as the year progresses is too much to ask, especially from the #10 overall pick. He has regressed, not gotten better.

Again, it's pretty bizarre seeing all of the excuses made for Rosen. Nothing bad that he does is his fault for some reason. Nick Mullens comes into a similar situation and has shined, won games, and made the 49ers better. But here in AZ, Rosen is doing his best Ryan Lindley impression and everyone is cool with it. He is receiving a free pass and no one, especially the #10 overall pick, deserves a free pass.

But hey, Rosen has grit and whatever

The 49ers have a better offensive line AND better receivers, not to mention what many consider a TOP FIVE PLAYCALLER. You can remove all of the relevant parts of an argument to make your point, or you can choose to actually formulate a good argument.

Hence why I said it's really hard to evaluate him based on what we are seeing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn