Why Josh Dobbs Likely Can’t Be Fixed

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He is doing exactly what he was brought in to do.
Yep. I see it as trading a 5th round pick to further secure a higher 1st this year. Tune might give us a chance, Dobbs is perfect for what we’re trying to do. Only throws the ball 10 yards or it’s a pick, fumbles snaps, takes too long and gets sacked a lot? Perfect, that’s our guy this year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean he is a career backup, other than Geno Smith have you ever seen a career backup elevate his game successfuly to a starter?

There is probably a couple others, but it's freaking rare. So this doesn't surprise me, it's what I expected.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dobbs seems to be playing in a time warp.. about 1/2 second behind the play.

That is his biggest issue that I see and it's weird given how smart he is. The announcer yesterday said it too he's hesitating on throwing the ball so he's often late. I think much of his accuracy issue is actually timing, the ball comes out late so it's not on the receiver.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
That is his biggest issue that I see and it's weird given how smart he is. The announcer yesterday said it too he's hesitating on throwing the ball so he's often late. I think much of his accuracy issue is actually timing, the ball comes out late so it's not on the receiver.
Dan Orvlosky is good TV. He can explain on video exactly what the coverage is, the offensive concept and where and why the ball should go to a given receiver

He is also a guy who couldnt play QB in the NFL at a high level consistently.

I think the diff between high level starter and back up in the NFL is probably 0.5 secs of decision time.

It also doesnt help that Josh has something weird where 1 of 10 throws just airmails or flutters -- his first INT was the right read and on time -- just airmailed it

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Orvlosky is good TV. He can explain on video exactly what the coverage is, the offensive concept and where and why the ball should go to a given receiver

He is also a guy who couldnt play QB in the NFL at a high level consistently.

I think the diff between high level starter and back up in the NFL is probably 0.5 secs of decision time.

It also doesnt help that Josh has something weird where 1 of 10 throws just airmails or flutters -- his first INT was the right read and on time -- just airmailed it

YEah Harry called the overthrows in the original post. He just throws high way too often it's pretty clear it's not something he's going to fix.

But it is odd to me how such a smart guy can't seem to get the ball out on time.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
YEah Harry called the overthrows in the original post. He just throws high way too often it's pretty clear it's not something he's going to fix.

But it is odd to me how such a smart guy can't seem to get the ball out on time.
Easy thought, once the decision to launch a rocket is made, takes time for the countdown:)

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Haven't watched much this year but they look at least competent at the start of games (at least to my untrained eye) then at some point say "that's good enough" and crap the bed the rest of the game. So, if you're gonna tank, tank the whole game, not just the second half.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Haven't watched much this year but they look at least competent at the start of games (at least to my untrained eye) then at some point say "that's good enough" and crap the bed the rest of the game. So, if you're gonna tank, tank the whole game, not just the second half.
Less suspicious. No penalty!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Harry, I think it's time to admit that the team isn't tanking, but IS talent deficient. And turn your attention to the teams that are tanking. Let us know which teams have talent but are not trying to win.

This is a distinction without a difference. NFL coaches and players don't tank. Front offices do.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm starting to doubt Petzing. He's regressing in 2nd halves, not adjusting, and is a total idiot on 4th downs.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Makes zero sense to me, considering a new regime. I'm not going to argue the point because there is no absolute answer and people believe what they want to believe. What I do believe is that there are some people who want to place blame on the FO's if there is not obvious evidence on the field. Of course while saying this FO did a bad job by not signing bandaid FA's, said the prior FO did a bad job by signing bandaid FA's.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep. I see it as trading a 5th round pick to further secure a higher 1st this year. Tune might give us a chance, Dobbs is perfect for what we’re trying to do. Only throws the ball 10 yards or it’s a pick, fumbles snaps, takes too long and gets sacked a lot? Perfect, that’s our guy this year.
I calls it like I sees it. I stand by this early assessment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson