What This Season and This Weekend Have Proved

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please revise the title of this thread to include the word "soccer" so those of us who don't care won't keep coming back to this thread by mistake.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Please revise the title of this thread to include the word "soccer" so those of us who don't care won't keep coming back to this thread by mistake.

What's the matter? Don't you have anything to use to rib the soccer fans? :D

But back to the thread topic. What this season proved to me is that the Cardinals are still the masters of the 5-11 season. 2002, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2012. Almost half the seasons since 2002!!! Which translates to my thoughts on Graves and Whisenhunt etal being fired:

5-11 with 'em. 5-11 without 'em

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Two reasons NFL football is so popular are betting and fantasy. How do you have a fantasy soccer league? "Hey my team got 2 points from the offense and 2,436 points from the defense" What the heck is the over/under on a soccer game? 0.5? "Liverpool is a half goal favorite over Everton in tonights game."
:D

try comunio.de must be available in English as well.

There are plenty of sites that give out individual grades, then you have things like goals scored, own goals, red card etc and you get a fantasy score.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At futbol games, you can do both!!!

BTW, isn't soccer the game that introduced "flopping" as a legitimate maneuver in a competitive sport? Great contribution. Thanks France!

No. If thanks are to be extended, please address them to Italy and Spain.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
try comunio.de must be available in English as well.

There are plenty of sites that give out individual grades, then you have things like goals scored, own goals, red card etc and you get a fantasy score.

Let's see. Goals scored: none, own goals: none. Red Cards: five. Ok so your fantasy team gets 5 points. But do you get any points because your players were sprinting well? :D

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Let's see. Goals scored: none, own goals: none. Red Cards: five. Ok so your fantasy team gets 5 points. But do you get any points because your players were sprinting well? :D

Man.... :hijack: lol

Passes completed %
Key Passes
Match ratings
Shots
Shots on target

Tons of stats bro.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Man.... :hijack: lol

Passes completed %
Key Passes
Match ratings
Shots
Shots on target

Tons of stats bro.

Dang we need to add those stats to our NFL fantasy leagues. Imagine if you could win your NFL fantasy game based on attempts at scoring a TD or how cool your QBs passes looked. Would you get 3 points for each play inside the 10 and 5 inside the five? Minus points for plays inside your 10 yard line?

But anyway I'm just messing with you soccer fans. Everyone knows why soccer isn't popular on TV in the US. No scoring.

Keith Moreland once asked why so many american kids quit baseball around the age of 12. My reasoning was that's when they couldn't get on base anymore as only the best players could succeed 40% of the time. They couldn't get on with a walk or an error, steal second, steal third and SCORE on a passed ball. So the game wasn't fun anymore. No scoring.

My son's friends loved playing FILA on XBox because their games were 7-5 instead of 0-0.

NBA basketball started losing popularity when their scores started to drop from the 100's to the 70s so they changed the rules to promote more scoring. So did the NFL. That's just the way it is in American and no amount of little guys doing 30-50 yard sprints and kicking the ball over the goal into the stands is going to change that.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Funny how a statement by Shane and a rebuttal by Dr Jones has turned this into a Futbol vs Football conversation.

Crazy how some of these threads turn and twist into something totally different from the starting post.

I love football however my heart is with soccer. Coaching it for over 20 years and very successfully at that I appreciate how there are so many things away from the ball that influence the outcome of the game. Just as a defense in football needs to maintain their assignments a soccer team needs to keep it shape both in attack and in defense.

I also appreciate the skill that it takes to control a soccer ball and get it to do what you want it to do. It isn't simply kicking a ball as hard or as far as you can. Getting the ball to bend both in the air and on the ground and to send it with the proper amount of pace so it can only be collected by your teammate is something to behold.

Those who have had the opportunity to see David Beckam curve a ball so it goes exactly where he wants it to go is an amazing thing to see. The athletic abilities of goalkeepers to react so quickly to shots and block them is in itself an wonder.

The thing that differentiates soccer from football is that each player in soccer must constantly read the game and make decisions based on what is happening. In football each player basically has an assignment that is set prior to the snap and yes they make adjustments however even these are completed with time to set them. In soccer it is more dynamic as the game never stops moving and changing in a second or less.

shhh, it is a lot more calming than talking about our QB situation

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

We have no Head Coach so we have no idea what type offense or, for that matter, defense the Cards are going to utilize in 2013 so we can't indulge in a Cardinals fans favorite pastime, talking about Free Agency and the Draft.

So why not use a thread to make fun of soccer?

:p

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Great point Jet. If we don't get our QB and Oline situations squared away we can expect our offense to be scoring the equivalent of the goals scored in a soccer game. Nil and Nil. :)

NASCAR is 3 hours of going around in a circle what can be more boring than that?

Futbol>NASCAR

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson