What This Season and This Weekend Have Proved

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I like the NFL, but sorry a sport that has a game clock of 4x15 minutes but drags out to 3+hours due to commercial breaks, timeouts and other stuff can never be the greatest viewing experience, not even close. Commercial breaks literally every 3 minutes at least are a joke and the reason why the NFL will never enjoy as much worldwide success.

Not to mention even without all the commercial breaks 50% (probably more) of the playclock runs out without anything happening while players stand around, wait for the next play etc.. so basically you are watching for 3 hours although there is only maybe 30 minutes of actual football played and part of that is fieldgoals and extra points.

I'd rather watch european football everytime, i am getting 90 minutes of action in under 2 hours. I don't have to waste nearly as much time.

More like 90 seconds of action. Dribble, Dribble, Pass. Dribble,Dribble,Pass. Kick it out of bounds is not action. There's more action in one NFL play than there is in an entire soccer game. :D

Soccer is like Fast Pitch Softball and Golf. Far more fun to play than to watch.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
More like 90 seconds of action. Dribble, Dribble, Pass. Dribble,Dribble,Pass. Kick it out of bounds is not action. There's more action in one NFL play than there is in an entire soccer game. :D

Soccer is like Fast Pitch Softball and Golf. Far more fun to play than to watch.

like?

Run for 0, run for -1, run for 3, punt, fair catch, commercial break, run for 3, run for 2, run for 2, punt, fair catch, commercial break, run for 2, sack and fumble, challenge, commercial break, overruled, sack, punt, fair catch, commercial break, incomplete pass, 2minute warning, commercial break, incomplete pass, timeout, commercial break, incomplete pass, injury timeout, commercial break, TD pass, extrapoint, commercial break, kickoff, commercial break.

(not counting time between lining up and taking the snap or other standing around where no football is played)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
like?

Run for 0, run for -1, run for 3, punt, fair catch, commercial break, run for 3, run for 2, run for 2, punt, fair catch, commercial break, run for 2, sack and fumble, challenge, commercial break, overruled, sack, punt, fair catch, commercial break, incomplete pass, 2minute warning, commercial break, incomplete pass, timeout, commercial break, incomplete pass, injury timeout, commercial break, TD pass, extrapoint, commercial break, kickoff, commercial break.

(not counting time between lining up and taking the snap or other standing around where no football is played)

That's only in Cardinals games. Well except for the TD pass. You need to watch some other teams play. :D

80% of the players on a soccer field are usually standing around doing nothing at any given point in the game.

90% of all the players on a football field are involved in every single play.

Soccer is like a basketball game where either two guys go one on one while the other 8 guys stand around and watch until one of the 1 on 1 guys misses a shot or the teams run the Dean Smith offense where they pass the ball around the perimeter for 90% of the game. Except in the Dean Smith offense they usually made the shot when they finally got around to taking it.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I like the NFL, but sorry a sport that has a game clock of 4x15 minutes but drags out to 3+hours due to commercial breaks, timeouts and other stuff can never be the greatest viewing experience, not even close. Commercial breaks literally every 3 minutes at least are a joke and the reason why the NFL will never enjoy as much worldwide success.

Not to mention even without all the commercial breaks 50% (probably more) of the playclock runs out without anything happening while players stand around, wait for the next play etc.. so basically you are watching for 3 hours although there is only maybe 30 minutes of actual football played and part of that is fieldgoals and extra points.

I'd rather watch european football everytime, i am getting 90 minutes of action in under 2 hours. I don't have to waste nearly as much time.

And so what if the average soccer games ends with 2-1 goals, 3 scores. How many TDs are actually scored in an average NFL game, not much more, just because you award 7 points for 1 score doesn't make it high scoring.

You would LOVE nascar. All "action" all the time.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
80% of the players on a soccer field are usually standing around doing nothing at any given point in the game.

90% of all the players on a football field are involved in every single play.

That is completely wrong. Football(soccer) players rarely just stand especially on defense the team is always in motion trying to close gaps and trapping the ball.

Not to mention 80% of the football players stand on the sidelines every play doing nothing.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Barclays Premier League Scores from Saturday giving 7 points for a goal:

0-0
0-0
0-0
7-0
7-7
21-14
28-0
21-0

9 of the 16 teams didn't score at all. Too exciting for me. :)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have a hunch that if you assembled an Olympic track/field team from professional American Football players and professional soccer players, that the soccer players would be hard pressed to score any points as well against the American football players. American football players are bigger, faster, and stronger than soccer players because their sport requires it. American football players have to to take breaks between plays because the extreme exertion from one play cannot be kept up nonstop. Of course soccer is a great sport, or the rest of the world would not follow it with the passion they do but it is a non contact sport for the most part of constantly jockeying for position at an ebb and flow. Football is like watching a branch get torn off from a raging river, while soccer is more like a couple of leaves drifting down a stream in comparison. Depends what rocks your boat or rather does not LOL

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
What it proved to me is this:

As far as talent goes, Pete Carroll can find diamonds in the rough. He can even polish them up real nice. But he will always find a way to screw things up in the end.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I have a hunch that if you assembled an Olympic track/field team from professional American Football players and professional soccer players, that the soccer players would be hard pressed to score any points as well against the American football players. American football players are bigger, faster, and stronger than soccer players because their sport requires it. American football players have to to take breaks between plays because the extreme exertion from one play cannot be kept up nonstop. Of course soccer is a great sport, or the rest of the world would not follow it with the passion they do but it is a non contact sport for the most part of constantly jockeying for position at an ebb and flow. Football is like watching a branch get torn off from a raging river, while soccer is more like a couple of leaves drifting down a stream in comparison. Depends what rocks your boat or rather does not LOL

I have a hunch your wrong. How much extreme exertion can it take when a play is usually only 5-7 seconds long followed by a 25 second rest period. Rinse, repeat. And lets not forget the timeouts and TV stoppages as well as penalties.

In soccer the flow is constant and players are routinely required to make 30-50 yards sprints only to sprint another 30-50 yards right after they just finished the first one.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a hunch your wrong. How much extreme exertion can it take when a play is usually only 5-7 seconds long followed by a 25 second rest period. Rinse, repeat. And lets not forget the timeouts and TV stoppages as well as penalties.

In soccer the flow is constant and players are routinely required to make 30-50 yards sprints only to sprint another 30-50 yards right after they just finished the first one.

Not in the soccer games I've seen. They might do one 30-50 yard sprint then stand around for 1,2,30 minutes while the ball is at the other end or other side of the field.

By the way the 25 second rest period is becoming a thing of the past in football. Watch Oklahoma State play offense. More like a 2.5 second rest period.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Not in the soccer games I've seen. They might do one 30-50 yard sprint then stand around for 1,2,30 minutes while the ball is at the other end or other side of the field.

By the way the 25 second rest period is becoming a thing of the past in football. Watch Oklahoma State play offense. More like a 2.5 second rest period.

lol and what happens in the NFL? Average play is like 5 seconds and aside from the WRs nobody ever really sprints.

NFL is not an endurance sport. Football players run up to over 10 miles in a game.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

You seriously underestimate soccer players, lol.

I doubt that many american footballers are actually faster over 100 metres than the fastest soccer players eg Arjen Robben in his prime. It's probably very close anyway.

And in all the long distance runs I doubt the football players stand any chance at all..

Overall Football is much more of a brute-force straight forward game while soccer is a much much more skillful game.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
lol and what happens in the NFL? Average play is like 5 seconds and aside from the WRs nobody ever really sprints.

NFL is not an endurance sport. Football players run up to over 10 miles in a game.

Neither is soccer. Like I said most of the players are standing around a good portion of the game.

But even if what you claim is true if all I want to see is a bunch of guys in shorts running sprints I'll go to a Track Meet.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All professional team sports have great athletes specifically trained for their discipline. Football players would die on the pitch from exhaustion; soccer players would die from the contact in American football... and neither can skate faster than an Olympic sprinter or have the hand eye coordination of professional basketball players.

In the 1970's there was a "Greatest Athlete" competition on one of the American networks, involving a series of Olympic style competitions. It was won by a professional soccer player (Brian Budd) year after year, until he was finally banned from the competition.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Neither is soccer. Like I said most of the players are standing around a good portion of the game.

But even if what you claim is true if all I want to see is a bunch of guys in shorts running sprints I'll go to a Track Meet.

Well these are basics. NFL players go for strength THAT is why they have to take a breather every few seconds. When you put on so much muscle you automatically lose endurance.
Having more muscles means your body uses up much more energy and you are getting tired much much faster.

Not to mention NFL players play 20 competetive games best case in a season. Soccer players over 60+.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mind is open. Futbol BLOWS! Just because the clock keeps running dont mean squat. It is a complete and utter snooze fest. There is a reason it doesn't catch on in the US. It sucks! :)

World Cup Soccer is awesome.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Funny how a statement by Shane and a rebuttal by Dr Jones has turned this into a Futbol vs Football conversation.

Crazy how some of these threads turn and twist into something totally different from the starting post.

I love football however my heart is with soccer. Coaching it for over 20 years and very successfully at that I appreciate how there are so many things away from the ball that influence the outcome of the game. Just as a defense in football needs to maintain their assignments a soccer team needs to keep it shape both in attack and in defense.

I also appreciate the skill that it takes to control a soccer ball and get it to do what you want it to do. It isn't simply kicking a ball as hard or as far as you can. Getting the ball to bend both in the air and on the ground and to send it with the proper amount of pace so it can only be collected by your teammate is something to behold.

Those who have had the opportunity to see David Beckam curve a ball so it goes exactly where he wants it to go is an amazing thing to see. The athletic abilities of goalkeepers to react so quickly to shots and block them is in itself an wonder.

The thing that differentiates soccer from football is that each player in soccer must constantly read the game and make decisions based on what is happening. In football each player basically has an assignment that is set prior to the snap and yes they make adjustments however even these are completed with time to set them. In soccer it is more dynamic as the game never stops moving and changing in a second or less.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Funny how a statement by Shane and a rebuttal by Dr Jones has turned this into a Futbol vs Football conversation.

Crazy how some of these threads turn and twist into something totally different from the starting post.

I love football however my heart is with soccer. Coaching it for over 20 years and very successfully at that I appreciate how there are so many things away from the ball that influence the outcome of the game. Just as a defense in football needs to maintain their assignments a soccer team needs to keep it shape both in attack and in defense.

I also appreciate the skill that it takes to control a soccer ball and get it to do what you want it to do. It isn't simply kicking a ball as hard or as far as you can. Getting the ball to bend both in the air and on the ground and to send it with the proper amount of pace so it can only be collected by your teammate is something to behold.

Those who have had the opportunity to see David Beckam curve a ball so it goes exactly where he wants it to go is an amazing thing to see. The athletic abilities of goalkeepers to react so quickly to shots and block them is in itself an wonder.

The thing that differentiates soccer from football is that each player in soccer must constantly read the game and make decisions based on what is happening. In football each player basically has an assignment that is set prior to the snap and yes they make adjustments however even these are completed with time to set them. In soccer it is more dynamic as the game never stops moving and changing in a second or less.
I still find it boring to watch. I fully understand how much skill goes into soccer, but there typically just isn't enough scoring/shots on goal for me to get excited about it. It would be a little like watching basketball if their were no goal-tending rules, except basketball would still have a lot more scoring and shots on goal.. Football has things like bone crushing hits that peak the interest of Americans.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I still find it boring to watch. I fully understand how much skill goes into soccer, but there typically just isn't enough scoring/shots on goal for me to get excited about it. It would be a little like watching basketball if their were no goal-tending rules, except basketball would still have a lot more scoring and shots on goal.. Football has things like bone crushing hits that peak the interest of Americans.

Do you like Hockey? Lots of shots on goal, but still very little scoring. It's like futbol, on ice! And sticks. But less teeth...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well these are basics. NFL players go for strength THAT is why they have to take a breather every few seconds. When you put on so much muscle you automatically lose endurance.
Having more muscles means your body uses up much more energy and you are getting tired much much faster.

Not to mention NFL players play 20 competitive games best case in a season. Soccer players over 60+.

None of that makes any difference when comparing which sport is better televised. And again if all you want is a competitive 0-0 or 1-0 game why not just play 90 one minute games or 10 nine minute games?

Two reasons NFL football is so popular are betting and fantasy. How do you have a fantasy soccer league? "Hey my team got 2 points from the offense and 2,436 points from the defense" What the heck is the over/under on a soccer game? 0.5? "Liverpool is a half goal favorite over Everton in tonights game."

I don't care who is in better shape or which sport is more strenous watching a bunch of guys in shorts run around accomplishing nothing is not 90 minutes of action.

:D

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Do you like Hockey? Lots of shots on goal, but still very little scoring. It's like futbol, on ice! And sticks. But less teeth...
I don't really "like" hockey, but I would rather watch hockey than soccer. Hockey has big hits and fights (though the fights are usually pretty lame). Hockey also has great athletes as well and what they do on ice no less is pretty darn impressive to me.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I like going to hockey games. You look at the program to find the guy on each team with 254 penalty minutes the previous season and wait for those two to get up and go into the game. The crowd goes wild as those two immediately start beating the bejezus out of each other. Awesome stuff.

Hockey had an increase in popularity when the changed the rules to increase scoring.

Still one of that time greatest sports lines: "I went to the fights the other night and a hockey game broke out."

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sports I would rather watch than soccer: Football, MMA, basketball, tennis, golf (questionable if this is actually a sport), baseball, hockey, rugby, lacrosse, boxing, volleyball, any X-games sport, track and field and I could probably name more, but can't think of any more off the top of my head.

I think soccer would instantly be better if they would change their offsides rules. It would allow for more 1 on 1 opportunities (fastbreak if you will) against the goalie.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson