What needs to happen for value pick

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
In my mind the top 6 players are sure to be gone by our pick. After that I have 5 players I feel would be good value for our needs (in order of preference):
Reiff
Ingram
DeCastro
Kuechly
Floyd

In order for that to happen after those first 6 go, we'd really need Coples, Tannehill, and/or one of the DT's to go.
I feel like Coples is a lock to go somewhere, so it's the DT and Tannehill that have to happen.
I'm hoping Miami loves Tannehill as much as the mockers are claiming and/or Seattle, KC or Carolina go DT.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
In my mind the top 6 players are sure to be gone by our pick. After that I have 5 players I feel would be good value for our needs (in order of preference):
Reiff
Ingram
DeCastro
Kuechly
Floyd

In order for that to happen after those first 6 go, we'd really need Coples, Tannehill, and/or one of the DT's to go.
I feel like Coples is a lock to go somewhere, so it's the DT and Tannehill that have to happen.
I'm hoping Miami loves Tannehill as much as the mockers are claiming and/or Seattle, KC or Carolina go DT.

Talk now is that Tannehill may even go at #3 to someone trading with the Vikes to be sure and get him......so the talking heads say anyway.....

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Talk now is that Tannehill may even go at #3 to someone trading with the Vikes to be sure and get him......so the talking heads say anyway.....

I also think that believe it or not, Brandon Weeden could be a top 10 pick if Tannehill goes in the top 7 and the Dolphins feel they can't risk losing out on one of the top 4 QBs.

OP
OP
D

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
I'd love it if both of those happened!
I've been harboring a dream about Kalil falling and us trading up to get him, maybe to 7. Would probably take a #3 this year and maybe a #2 next year but I'd do it.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I'd love it if both of those happened!
I've been harboring a dream about Kalil falling and us trading up to get him, maybe to 7. Would probably take a #3 this year and maybe a #2 next year but I'd do it.

I would love it if he dropped to a spot (say #5) where we could trade & get him. I am guessing the Rams would take him at #6......OR, another nice surprise would be if Reiff falls to #13, because I see absolutely no way the Cards would trade up for Kalil, unless he falls to at least 9 or 10, and even then they probably would "sit tight".....

Last edited:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
He was invited to the draft. He turned it down, but still.

Yeah, Stout, it will be interesting to see where he goes. Imo, he's a lock for the top 40. Because he's most likely to go between 33-40, he probably didn't want to sit through the whole first night of the draft and I wouldn't blame him for that. But---as it turns out he might go a lot earlier than even he expects.

Last year the #4 rated QB went at #12. That was Christian Ponder---and I think one could make a good argument that Weeden, despite being 28, has more upside as a pro passer. He's bigger---has a stronger arm and his college numbers were more impressive.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Stout, it will be interesting to see where he goes. Imo, he's a lock for the top 40. Because he's most likely to go between 33-40, he probably didn't want to sit through the whole first night of the draft and I wouldn't blame him for that. But---as it turns out he might go a lot earlier than even he expects.

Last year the #4 rated QB went at #12. That was Christian Ponder---and I think one could make a good argument that Weeden, despite being 28, has more upside as a pro passer. He's bigger---has a stronger arm and his college numbers were more impressive.[/quote

I think a perfect place for a qb as raw as Tannehil to go with the Broncos. Who better to train a qb than have him sit behind Manning for a couple or three years. Assuming of course that Manning would be willing to work with him.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I think a perfect place for a qb as raw as Tannehil to go with the Broncos. Who better to train a qb than have him sit behind Manning for a couple or three years. Assuming of course that Manning would be willing to work with him.
Denver has been working out Brock Osweiler most recently.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I actually think the Cards are going to trade down this year. If Ingram is on the board, I can see the Jets and NE trying to move up and get him. Every day I get more convinced that Cordy Glenn is going to be the Cards pick and a trade down will be entertained.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All signs indicate Tannehill will go by KC at the very latest, and by Minn. at the earliest, if someone trades up.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BPA vs. "Need"

In an effort to put a dent in this eternal debate, I put together four mocks: (1) According to BPA, (2) According to a Key Need, (3) According to Another Key Need and (4 Hybrid - BPA or One of the 2 Needs depending on the Pick. (Note: My BPA mock reflects how I stacked my board and not where I think these dudes will be drafted. Needs A & B reflect my "top-ranked available players at each position).

BPA
001. K Wright WR
080. Pead RB
112. Bergstrom OL
151. Adcock OL
177. Keenum QB
185. D Wolfe DT
221. Rodgriguez FB

Need-A
001. Glenn OL
080. Curry DE
112. A Cole LB
151.Jenkins WR
177.Martin S
185.Benjamin WR
221. Hicks DT

Need-B
001. Hightower ILB
080. Matthews WR
112. Iloka S
151. Kaddu LB
177. O Bolden CB
185. Shoemaker WR
221. Paige-Moss DE

"Hybrid
001. Glenn OL (Over Wright - Just a hunch)
080. Curry DE (Over Pead - Need over "negative-need")
112. Iloka S (Over Bergstrom - Hunch)
151. Jenkins WR (Need. Hindsight = 20/20. If I knew I could get Shoemaker, I'd take Adcock)
177. O Bolden CB (Over Keenum - Need over negative-need)
185. Shoemaker WR (Over D Wolfe - Love Shoemaker - see comment)
221. Hicks DT (Over Rodriguez - Need over negative-need)

In most cases, I drafted more for need than BPA but you could make the case that Glenn and Wright were closely ranked overall with "need becoming the tie-breaker and that Pead, Keenum and Rodgriguez represented "negative needs" (i.e. "didn't need them; wouldn't make it thru preseason").

Shoemaker was a Luck go-to guy - one of those Proehl, Chrebet, Welker possession types thought to run in the mid-4.6's but ran a steaming 4.43 on his pro day. If a receiver can (a) catch everything, (b) run great routes and (c) run a 4.43, I want him -especially at #185.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn