WalterFootball Mock Draft...

Arizona_Steve

Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like everyone's getting sucked into the smokescreen created by our apparent lack of interest in Geno Smith. I say we draft Geno Smith if he's available.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like everyone's getting sucked into the smokescreen created by our apparent lack of interest in Geno Smith. I say we draft Geno Smith if he's available.

If we are at that point in the off-season when we can't tell truth from lies, we certainly can't say what is or not a smokescreen.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Don't think it's a smoke screen. The questions surrounding his accuracy on the deep ball makes him sound like NOT a fit in BAs system.

We (Cardinals FO) watched Glennon(SP?) workout the other day, possible mid to late round flyer there.

Last edited:

snowthedirtbub

Veteran
Reaction score
Don't think it's a smoke screen. The questions surrounding his accuracy on the deep ball makes him sound like NOT a fit in BAs system.

We (Cardinals FO) watched Glennon(SP?) workout the other day, possible mid to late round flyer there.

You say Geno doesn't fit in with BA system because of accuracy, but we would go after Glennon?

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You say Geno doesn't fit in with BA system because of accuracy, but we would go after Glennon?

Umm... yes... You're talking on using the #7 pick vs using a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Of course I would go after Glennon. If their roles were flipped and Glennon was the top guy, I'd then go after Geno in the 2nd or 3rd.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The questions surrounding his accuracy on the deep ball makes him sound like NOT a fit in BAs system.

IMO that's one of Genos strengths. I'm not saying I'm sold on taking Geno, but if I was rolling the dice on who's got the most skills to succeed as an NFL star QB out of this whole group, it's Geno...based on his production, accuracy & limiting turnovers.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMO that's one of Genos strengths. I'm not saying I'm sold on taking Geno, but if I was rolling the dice on who's got the most skills to succeed as an NFL star QB out of this whole group, it's Geno...based on his production, accuracy & limiting turnovers.

The questions surrounding his accuracy on the deep ball makes him sound like NOT a fit in BAs system.

Buckybird

Reaction score

Says who? You? Have you watched WV play? It's not all bubble screens & short balls like some think. He's pretty damn accurate downfield...like RGIII was coming out.

As I said the deep ball is one of his strengths.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Says who? You? Have you watched WV play? It's not all bubble screens & short balls like some think. He's pretty damn accurate downfield...like RGIII was coming out.

As I said the deep ball is one of his strengths.

Yes I have watched him play, thanks for asking.. Have YOU watched WV play? Because "pretty damn accurate downfield" is exagerated.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've watched Geno play allot, not really to impressed with him he looks solid but nothing sticks out. Doesn't really have the feet and speed of a guys like RG3 or Russell Wilson he doesn't have that canon for an arm and he's not a field Commander like Andrew luck was at Stanford. From what I understand he's kind of like a puppet at west Virginia he breaks the huddle and looks to the side line and they tell him what the defense is doing.

I just really don't see it in Geno. He came into the season with allot of hype and didn't really live up to any of it. I watched his bowl game and was just blown away how bad he looked.

I don't really like the pick of Ansah either. I'm cautious of guys who kind of come of of nowhere.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Ol' Walt has convieniently got Jarvis Jones going #17 to the Stealers.

If the draft plays out that way, I could easily see him going to us at 7. Like he says, "I'm just a darn football player". A darn good one!

Chance Warmack is available as well, but as I've said in the past, our best bet is trading out to pick up another high pick. Cooper is a viable pick then. And Warmack could even be around.

I still like Lutulelei the best though. I think he's gonna be a real good playa. DD's eventual replacement.

Fisher will be long gone as well, he's just shot up. He doesn't make it past Detroit, he's right on the money there.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Yes I have watched him play, thanks for asking.. Have YOU watched WV play? Because "pretty damn accurate downfield" is exagerated.

Yeah I guess that was someone else who had at least 12 30+ yard throws (in the air) for big plays in just the Baylor & OU games. ;)

You act like NFL QBs complete 50% of those throws when in reality it's probably more like 30-35%.

Again I'm not 100% sold on Geno, but IMO you're selling him short on the talent he has.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah I guess that was someone else who had at least 12 30+ yard throws (in the air) for big plays in just the Baylor & OU games. ;)

You act like NFL QBs complete 50% of those throws when in reality it's probably more like 30-35%.

Again I'm not 100% sold on Geno, but IMO you're selling him short on the talent he has.
I don't think people are concerned with Geno's deep 40+ yard passes which he is extremely accurate with, but with those 20-30 yard throws where he has to fit the ball into tight windows.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Really? I've watched him play myself and saw a guy who got the ball downfield as well as any other QB.

Here are his deep downfield accuracy splits..

30-34 yds 50%
35-39 yds 66.7%
40+ yds 42.9%

That is better than Jones, Glennon, Manuel, Barkley, Bray, Nassib and Scott . About the only QB in college football with better deep ball numbers was AJ McCarron...his numbers blew away Bridgewater and Manziel who everyone has pegged as first rounders next year.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Really? I've watched him play myself and saw a guy who got the ball downfield as well as any other QB.

30-34 yds 50%
35-39 yds 66.7%
40+ yds 42.9%

That is better than Jones, Glennon, Manuel, Barkley, Bray, Nassib and Scott . About the only QB in college football with better deep ball numbers was AJ McCarron...his numbers blew away Bridgewater and Manziel who everyone has pegged as first rounders next year.

:thumbup:

Buckybird

Reaction score
I don't think people are concerned with Geno's deep 40+ yard passes which he is extremely accurate with, but with those 20-30 yard throws where he has to fit the ball into tight windows.

Someone else is, but that guy really hasn't watched him play which is whom I was trying to convince otherwise.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

30-34 yds 50%
35-39 yds 66.7%
40+ yds 42.9%

I agree I love what he can do with the football, but the only thing that scares me is how he responds to pressure. I haven't watched all of the QB you listed, but I know Barkley for instance responds much better to pressure in his face than Geno does. Not saying I would rather have Barkley though.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

30-34 yds 50%
35-39 yds 66.7%
40+ yds 42.9%

Nice stats, lets keep in mind who Geno's WRs shall we? Austin and Bailey. Not to mention he had most of his TDs in 3 games. Did you see the Syracuse game?

I thought Geno Smith was the messiah and here to carry the Cards to the promise land, untill I did my research and went back and watched all of his games. He can't put any air underneath his passes, short OR long.

:thumbdown

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Nice stats, lets keep in mind who Geno's WRs shall we? Austin and Bailey. Not to mention he had most of his TDs in 3 games. Did you see the Syracuse game?

I thought Geno Smith was the messiah and here to carry the Cards to the promise land, untill I did my research and went back and watched all of his games. He can't put any air underneath his passes, short OR long.

So the ability to get the ball downfield accurately hinges on the WRs only? I could understand if you said his yardage stats were inflated because of WR YAC but those numbers i quoted only look at passes attempted at those distances. My point is the lack of deep ball accuracy stuff is bunk...if anything he struggles in the intermediate stuff more than the deep ball...he excels in short passes is well above average in the deep stuff but is simply average on the intermediate routes.

You mean the Syracuse game in the snow? That game? Hard to judge a guy in those conditions, especially if he ended up here he'd play 9 games a year in a dome guaranteed.

To be honest I prefer Warmack above and beyond anyone else at #7, but if we draft Smith I won't be disappointed.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I don't understand how 2 small WRs helps on deep passes. Yes they are fast, but it isn't like he can just throw up jump balls to those guys like you can do with big WRs (Fitz/Megatron types). Most of the deep throws that I have seen him make are right in stride of his receiver and some of those passes are thrown very high in the air and some are thrown on a line.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I agree I love what he can do with the football, but the only thing that scares me is how he responds to pressure. I haven't watched all of the QB you listed, but I know Barkley for instance responds much better to pressure in his face than Geno does. Not saying I would rather have Barkley though.

Agree

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard