Turner did not make the trip to Florida

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Turner missed practice and did not make the trip to Florida. I know he has talent but he is not bigger than the program. Would not be surprised to see him end up like Sidiki Johnson.

Wildcat05

Veteran
Reaction score
Such a stupid mistake, missing practice. And just on the cusp of articles being written about him being named the full-time starter... Hopefully keeping him at home will wake this kid up. I know he's a freshman, and he responded well the last time he was benched (for showing up late to a shoot-around), so there's still hope.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This is somewhat to be expected, kid did get kicked off his high school team. Unfortunately it's at a time when we're still thin from the coaching transition and can't afford any morons.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He missed a damn walk through. How pathetic and undisciplined do you have to be to do that?

If he wasn't so talented, I wouldn't care as much and just send him packing like Sidiki, so I hope Miller can get into this kid's head.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From what I have heard I really doubt Turner will be here next year.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Kid's been suspended twice now. Miller is already recruiting over him in 2012. One would think that he's got one more shot at most.

At a certain point you can't let the inmates run the asylum or you will take the fall. See Erickson, Dennis and Burfict, Vontaze.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole conference is in turmoil and a big reason why is there are so many kids like Turner coming out of the West Coast AAU programs these days. UCLA obviously is the biggest mess and will probably cost Howland his job but it seems like every team has one at least of these kids. Even Stanford lost Jeremy Green because they got fed up with his issues and encouraged him to turn pro early. Cal has Solomon suspended etc.

I guess I hoped when Josiah got to college and his mom wasn't around telling him how good he was he'd grow up a bit, hopefully Miller taking the hard stance will work, if not the kid is going to look back in a few years and regret it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AAU is a big part of the problem - more corrupt than a third-world dictator

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AAU is a big part of the problem - more corrupt than a third-world dictator

I don't even think it's the corruption so much as it's a culture of coddling these kids. Look at Gary Franklin at Cal last year, if you read the book Played Their Hearts Out Franklin is on the AAU team they follow in the book. He leaves the team because the dad wants him to be the star not Demetrius Walker, the coach doesn't agree, so the dad forms his own AAU team and makes Gary the star. Goes to Mater Dei and starts right away shoots as much as he wants. Gets to Cal, starts, is jacking up shots and making about 20% of them and finally Monty benches him, and the kid transfers to Baylor.

So many of these kids are coddled and told how good they are.

Turner played for at least 3 different AAU programs, in Sacramento that's pretty normal at some point most of the good kids in that area change AAU teams to get better competition, but he played at 3 different highschools attended 4. There's this culture in AAU basketball where the kids are told how good they are and when they get to college and meet coaches that won't pander to them, they are just becoming problems.

There are still kids like Nick Johnson who came up in the same AAU program as Turner and yet seems to be a great kid, but it's getting rarer and rarer.

But then maybe I'm just bitter right now watching this stuff rip UCLA's program apart.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The whole conference is in turmoil and a big reason why is there are so many kids like Turner coming out of the West Coast AAU programs these days. UCLA obviously is the biggest mess and will probably cost Howland his job but it seems like every team has one at least of these kids. Even Stanford lost Jeremy Green because they got fed up with his issues and encouraged him to turn pro early. Cal has Solomon suspended etc.

I guess I hoped when Josiah got to college and his mom wasn't around telling him how good he was he'd grow up a bit, hopefully Miller taking the hard stance will work, if not the kid is going to look back in a few years and regret it.
Nick Johnson comes from the same AAU program as Josiah and by all accounts he is a terrific kid. Hundreds of great student-athletes come out of AAU programs every year as well. It's how you're raised mostly and even some kids raised right turn out to be bad seeds. And there's also good kids that make dumb decisions simply because they're 18 years old and really immature.

Josiah is an adult and his mother lives 1500 miles away. It's not her fault anymore.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick Johnson comes from the same AAU program as Josiah and by all accounts he is a terrific kid. Hundreds of great student-athletes come out of AAU programs every year as well. It's how you're raised mostly and even some kids raised right turn out to be bad seeds. And there's also good kids that make dumb decisions simply because they're 18 years old and really immature.

Josiah is an adult and his mother lives 1500 miles away. It's not her fault anymore.

Yeah I mentioned Nick too he seems to be atypical these days elite talent who even seems a bit cocky on the court, but is a coaches dream.

I realize all the kids are different and like I said I hoped when josiah got away from Doris he'd realize he needed to grow up. he still can but I mean the day the article comes out saying he'll probably start because of his improved work ethic, he misses a practice? just bizarre.

Can't figure these kids out they seem to be unsure of what they want they just know they're not happy for some reason.

Hope it works out for UA the conference needs at least one more good team to go with Cal, Stanford and UW.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
But then maybe I'm just bitter right now watching this stuff rip UCLA's program apart.
Not buying this Russ. Howland and Miler had years to get to know these kids and their parents, friends, handlers, etc. Not like this is football where you have to recruit 25 kids every year. Is Lavin finally off the hook since the players started tuning him out?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not buying this Russ. Howland and Miler had years to get to know these kids and their parents, friends, handlers, etc. Not like this is football where you have to recruit 25 kids every year. Is Lavin finally off the hook since the players started tuning him out?

Sure they knew Nelson had issues but not like this. Junior year and he gets kicked out of the advanced skills camp for behavior(he was a counselor) and then punches a teammate on campus(sept) in public, witnesses and all? You just don't expect a kid to get worse not better. My understanding is he's finally gone for good they just made it a suspension so he was still allowed access to things like counselling while on scholarship. Nelson has serious issues I'm not sure anybody really understood. The mistake was taking him in the first place clearly but I don't think anybody realized what was up with Nelson, UCLA wasn't exactly alone in recruiting him. With Parker injured and Powell having gone to emergency room yesterday with an allergic reaction UCLA currently has 8 scholarship players. :bang:

I would say Turner cost UA the win last night, with him they likely hang on to that lead.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Turner played well today as the Cats beat Clemson. Nick Johnson is a special player and he is getting better every game. Hill played a solid game and the Cats played solid defense. Next up is a big road game against Gonzaga.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Turner needs to get his aggressiveness under control. He played well, showed why he was so highly recruited, but ran full speed between defenders, just to lose the ball, too often.

Nick Johnson is REALLY special, like Williams special (he is at least in the ballpark, though they are completely different players). Just to be clear, I'm not saying freshman Johnson is as good as sophomore Williams or even close.

Hill reminds me of Marion on the Suns. He just does whatever you need him to do. I never liked him much, but he is now really growing on me.

Anyone think Chol will be good? He can block, but does he do ANYTHING else?

Last edited:

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Turner needs to get his aggressiveness under control. He played well, showed why he was so highly recruited, but ran full speed between defenders, just to lose the ball, too often.

Nick Johnson is REALLY special, like Williams special (he is at least in the ballpark, though they are completely different players). Just to be clear, I'm not saying freshman Johnson is as good as sophomore Williams or even close.

Hill reminds me of Marion on the Suns. He just does whatever you need him to do. I never liked him much, but he is now really growing on me.

Anyone think Chol will be good? He can block, but does he do ANYTHING else?

Chol will be a freaking stud by his junior year. Dude's barely been playing basketball for 5 years. He will be a beast, not too much offensively, but a beast on D/boards/blocks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chol has pretty good touch on his face up jumper what he needs is a back to the basket post game.

Turner is getting dangerously close to changing his name to turnover he's still too out of control. But if/when he does, he'll be really good.