The X-Files: I Want to Believe (X-Files 2)

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
For anyone interested, Best Buy is having x-files sale... under $40 per season.
For the versions that were first released, or the new ones?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
What are the new versions?
They are the same seasons 1-9 (I think only through season 6 has been released yet). The only difference is they are CHEAPER (around 40 bucks compared to the 119), and they are smaller - the dvd boxes are smaller. Also, I think CC has added extra features, like commentary on certain episodes. But I'm not sure exactly which ones - it's not all that exciting for those who already have the original bigger and more expensive boxed sets. :kicksdirt:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
They are the same seasons 1-9 (I think only through season 6 has been released yet). The only difference is they are CHEAPER (around 40 bucks compared to the 119), and they are smaller - the dvd boxes are smaller. Also, I think CC has added extra features, like commentary on certain episodes. But I'm not sure exactly which ones - it's not all that exciting for those who already have the original bigger and more expensive boxed sets. :kicksdirt:

:)

I want to start getting them...over time...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thirty-two said:

I thought the new ones had gotten rid of a lot of extra features, and if the old version had an extra disc of extras, that disc wasn't included in the new sets. Not sure that is the case though.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I thought the new ones had gotten rid of a lot of extra features, and if the old version had an extra disc of extras, that disc wasn't included in the new sets. Not sure that is the case though.

I heard that it was slimmer packaging, no special booklets, no extra disc, and widescreen format for every season. (Weren't the original seasons released in widescreen for every season?)

Some reviews I've seen (by regular joes) have said that many of the extras are still with the sets, they're just tied to each episode rather than on a special disc, but who knows what to believe? The truth is out there, I'm sure. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
I heard that it was slimmer packaging, no special booklets, no extra disc, and widescreen format for every season. (Weren't the original seasons released in widescreen for every season?)

Some reviews I've seen (by regular joes) have said that many of the extras are still with the sets, they're just tied to each episode rather than on a special disc, but who knows what to believe? The truth is out there, I'm sure. :D

I thought that season 1-3 weren't even broadcast in widescreen.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spotnitz Writing X-Files 2

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=36201

Frank Spotnitz, the mastermind behind much of the mythology of The X-Files, told SCI FI Wire that he has signed on to help write the next movie based on the hit series, but that the new movie won't deal with the show's byzantine conspiracy arc. "There's still a very good chance that we will all do another X-Files movie," Spotnitz said in an interview. Spotnitz was an executive producer on the show, which starred David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson; it ended its nine-year run in 2002.

One point of contention in getting a second X-Files film off the ground: Series creator Chris Carter is still wrangling with 20th Century Fox over legal matters. "David, Gillian and I, and even Chris Carter, all have deals in place, and once the legal issues are over with, we will go on with it," Spotnitz said. "I'm hoping it will get resolved soon."

Although the script isn't written, the idea is already developed, Spotnitz said. He added that Fox likes the idea, which hearkens back to the series' stand-alone episodes rather than the conspiracy to cover up the existence of extraterrestrials, which was the subject of the first X-Files movie.

"No, we're not going into the mythology [in the sequel]," Spotnitz said. "One of the things that was exciting about doing it is to not make it a mythology story, and it's like one of the stand-alone episodes. It's a bit scary. Of course, we will catch up with the characters and what is going on in their lives, but it's not about the alien conspiracy. It's not about that." The first X-Files movie came out in 1998.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Future with David Duchovny
Source: Heather Newgen
March 28, 2007

After a five year break from appearing regularly on a TV series, David Duchovny is returning to the small screen. He briefly talked to ComingSoon.net about his new TV show at the press day for his latest film The TV Set and what being back on a weekly show means for the rumored upcoming "X-Files" movie.

His new project will be on Showtime, and as of now, it's known as the "Untitled David Duchovny Series." They will start shooting in late May or early June, but the pilot is already finished.

"It's pretty fascinating. I don't really know what the show is about. I love the character. I love the pilot. The pilot is fantastic. It doesn't have a hook. He's not a doctor, he's not a lawyer, he's not a FBI agent, he's not a cop, he's not a fireman, he's not a mob guy. He's a writer who doesn't write. So I kind of love that I don't know where it's going," Duchovny laughed.

But don't think that just because he's returning to TV means he's giving up on movies. He's still very much interested in film and in fact, Duchovny is excited at the possibility of reprising his role of Agent Mulder in another "X-Files" flick. "It would be fun," he said. "Actually I think they are talking about an 'X-Files' movie this week. I'm not just saying that because it's serendipitous. I know Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz are in there this week with Fox talking about it."

He's not the only one who is anxious to come back on board, as he told us that Gillian Anderson would also love the opportunity to play Agent Scully again. "Yeah, she'll do it. We'll all do it. We're all gung ho and we're just waiting. I guess there are things to figure out, and I guess people are talking about a strike. They're trying to get it done before things like this."

While it sounds like the details are being ironed out, one thing is for certain. Since his show is on a cable network, Duchovny doesn't have the challenging schedule he once did, therefore making it unproblematic for him to do another "X-Files" movie.

"Yeah, see one of the great things about going back to television is I go back to cable television, I will have an 11-week shooting schedule. That's it. You know 'X-Files' was easily 43 or 44. It didn't really give me a chance to really do anything for that eight or nine years even though I tried to stuff some things in. It's really kind of a great job in terms of my schedule."

And while he admitted there is already a plot for the second "X-Files" film, he said he has no idea what it is. "There is a story… but I don't know it."

Duchovny's next movie, The TV Set, opens on Friday, April 6, in New York and L.A.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if this movie looks like garbage, I will probably see it in theatres just to support this wonderful show.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking forward to this for some time. However, if the early rumors on the script are correct it's kind of disturbing. They made it sound like the movie will be more stand alone versus a continuation where the last left off. Let's hope they don't stray too far.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking forward to this for some time. However, if the early rumors on the script are correct it's kind of disturbing. They made it sound like the movie will be more stand alone versus a continuation where the last left off. Let's hope they don't stray too far.

Agreed. There has been too much time in between for a stand alone script.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agreed. There has been too much time in between for a stand alone script.

It will be stand-alone, that has always been the idea about the next movie.

Besides, you guys really want to continue the stale alien conspiracy story? I'm looking forward to a stand-alone x-files movie.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be stand-alone, that has always been the idea about the next movie.

Besides, you guys really want to continue the stale alien conspiracy story? I'm looking forward to a stand-alone x-files movie.

I would like them to at the very least reference it. My problem with stand-alones is usually they end up acting like the other stories never existed. That might work for seriealized TV but not the movies.

If they wan't to venture off into another story line great. However, don't "alienate" (punn intended) the storlines that got them here. Like I said there were plenty of stories in the series that had nothing to do with Aliens. It's cool if they explore something like that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I would like them to at the very least reference it. My problem with stand-alones is usually they end up acting like the other stories never existed. That might work for seriealized TV but not the movies.

If they wan't to venture off into another story line great. However, don't "alienate" (punn intended) the storlines that got them here. Like I said there were plenty of stories in the series that had nothing to do with Aliens. It's cool if they explore something like that.

That's probably what will happen. If they put the time frame, say, within the end of the 3rd season or so, you can safely avoid a lot of the bigger conspiracy things. There's a lot of ways to do it. My guess (and hope) is that they do something like the regular monster-of-the-week stories during it's run. They never mentioned alien conspiracies, except maybe as a joke, during those episodes and it didn't ruin anything.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The mytharc is a joke. They will be doing a monster of the week movie. That's the only way a movie could work. They'll have it be sometime around season 7, or something.

Btw, I am not holding my breath on this movie ever being made. Will I be happy? HELLS YES. But I'm jaded now.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
David Duchovny was on Craig Ferguson's show tonight and confirmed the movie is happening.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be seeing this for sure.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I was a huge fan of this series until Mulder left. I always felt it was Mulder's story, and when he was gone, the story effectively ended. His cameos and appearances in the last two episodes weren't authentic X-Files, IMO. I stopped caring what happened to the other characters.

To bring it back now ... it's too late, IMO. I'm no longer invested in this. Duchovny should continue writing and directing. House of D was excellent.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that david duchovany dude was just on jimmy kimmel and said they would start shooting this in november and have it ready for a summer release..

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow. I was a huge fan of this series until Mulder left. I always felt it was Mulder's story, and when he was gone, the story effectively ended. His cameos and appearances in the last two episodes weren't authentic X-Files, IMO. I stopped caring what happened to the other characters.

To bring it back now ... it's too late, IMO. I'm no longer invested in this. Duchovny should continue writing and directing. House of D was excellent.

Completely disagree, although before my last viewing of the last 2 seasons, I might have agree with you. While I don't think I'll ever get over the casting of Anabeth Gish, I did warm somewhat to Robert Patrick, whose Agent Doggett eventually got some strong scenes and some play as a sceptic who eventually gets won over, much like Scully in earlier episodes.

X-Files is my favorite show of all time, so I think it's never too late. Just because he does this one movie (about a month's worth of work and probably another month of publicity), doesn't mean he's going to not do anything else. 2 months out of the year is nothing, and he has gone on record several times saying he still loves the character.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard