The Pass That Spiraled the Arizona Cardinals on a Path to the Super Bowl

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Here we are one year removed from the greatest weekend in Arizona Cardinals' history. At this time last year we were stocking our refridgerators with every conceivable goody in anticipation of our beloved Cardinals playing in their first ever Super Bowl.

The long-time Cardinal fans who had managed to hang in there in support of a franchise that was one of the perennial laughing stocks of the NFL...those of us who had withstood all the yearly ridicules from friends and family, were now receiving "I'm rooting for your Cardinals" phone calls from those same friends and family...a reality that was too surreal to even fathom...but one that thrilled all of us beyond our wildest football dreams.

The amazing thing is...we might very well owe all of that joy to one incredible, unexpected touchdown pass...and all the events that ensued after it.

That TD pass?

Rewind to December 28, 2003...the hapless 3-12 Cardinals were playing their last game of the season at home versus the 9-6 Vikings...a prolific Viking team that was led by QB Daunte Culpepper and WR Randy Moss.

The funny thing is: the Vikings had all the incentive in the world to win the game because it meant securing a playoff bid.

Perhaps even more funny is: the Cardinals had all the incentive in the world to lose the game---because if the Cardinals lose the game they would secure the number one pick in the 2004 NFL Draft and the opportunity to select QB Eli Manning.

Some pundits and fans were even calling the game "The Eli Bowl."

But, as predictably poor as the Cardinals were that year, they were unpredictably resolved to pull off one of the season's most startling upsets...which, they managed to do in the last seconds of the game when a scrambling and harrassed Josh McCown scooted to his right, cocked the ball and fired it to the back corner of the right endzone, where Nate Poole, a WR who had previously been cut and re-signed a hilarious number of times, reached his arms up, cleanly plucked the ball with his hands out of mid-air and adroitly managed to tap his toes into the last possible blades of green grass contiguous to the white chalk of the endzone...which meant: The Cardinals won the game 18-17; The Vikings were knocked out of the playoffs; The Cardinals would not be picking first in the 2004 Draft.

So how did this TD pass ironically send the Cardinals on a five year path to the Super Bowl?

Some of you may already be thinking of the ramifications. But, when you trace all the curious occurrences that ensued following the McCown to Poole TD that caused the Cardinals to spiral toward the Super Bowl, it's one of the more uncanny set of circumstances in NFL history.

Well here they are:

1. The Manning Edict: On draft day, in a thoroughly bizarre and unprecedented series of postures and maneuverings, the Manning Family, headed by Papa Archie and Big Bruh Peyton, are adamant that L'il Eli will not play for the San Diego Chargers---who own the first pick of the draft.

One, at this point, had to wonder if the Mannings would have placed the same albatross around the necks of the Cardinals had the Cardinals secured the first pick...but, at least the Cardinals did not have to suffer that public humiliation the way the Chargers did. Although, what if the Mannings were cool with the Cardinals? No one may ever know.

What we all do know is that the Chargers momentarily defied the Manning's edict and went ahead and picked Eli...who then donned the Chargers' cap and jersey with the awkward countenance of a teenage girl in Macy's who has just walked out of the dressing room in a gaudy over-sized prom dress.

Then, of course, we learn within the hour that the New York Giants selected QB Phillip Rivers and swapped him for L'il Eli...and now we see genuine smiles all around from underneath the newest caps.

2. Minnesota Fats. Not only did the Cardinals beat the Vikings to send the Vikings home to the snowy lakes...the Cardinals replace Dave McGinnis with ex-Viking kingpin and hustler, Denny Green, who had been languishing for a few years as an ESPN NFL Gameday commentator.

Green immediately tried to instill the Arizona fans' confidence by showing up at his first press conference with colorful pie charts detailing his history as an NFL Offensive genius, and reassuring the fans that with Denny Green you can count on a Top 5 Offensive juggernaut. Green's temerity was about as audacious as another infamous Denny's: yup, the unctuous law attorney, Denny Crane.

As fans we were wondering how Denny was going to pull off a top 5 offense with Jeff Blake and Josh McCown as the team's top QBs. Many of us were lamenting the missed opportunity to draft the consensus #1 pick in the draft, Eli Manning. Yet, while some pundits were questioning Phillip Rivers' sidearm delivery...while others were lauding his 4-0 career Bowl record at North Carolina State...as Cardinal fans hungry for a franchise QB, many were hoping Rivers could be the one.

But...Denny instead turned to his Minnesota Fats instincts of finesse...and while Mel Kiper was ripping his hair out still trying to figure out why in the world the Chargers went ahead and drafted Eli Manning...Denny went ahead and passed on Rivers in favor of drafting his old ballboy in Minnesota, WR Larry Fitzgerald.

This selection sent Mel into a further tizzy..."The Cardinals already have a Pro Bowl WR in Anquan Boldin, but they don't have a QB. Who's going to throw Boldin and Fitzgerald the ball? Denny really blew it on this one. Maybe he should have stuck with fishing!" (note: this is embellished)

3. Time Warner. This is where all rivers arrive at a stunning confluence...and like Henry David Thoreau wrote: "Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in."

The Giants, fresh off of winning the prize catch of the 2004 draft, QB Eli Manning, and the generous support of Papa Archie and Big Bruh...decide they need to give the young fella time to ease his way into the starting lineup...so they go ahead and sign the venerable Kurt Warner to be the starter while Eli develops. Many pundits concur this is a very good move by the Giants in that perhaps Warner can regain his St. Louis form and all the while be an inspirational mentor to L'il Eli.

The plan is an intial success, as Warner wins 5 of the first 8 games and has the Giants in good position for a playoff berth. Warner's play, however, looks a little flawed, as he seems far too tentaive at times and when he holds onto the ball longer than usual he is prone to getting sacked, and even worse, Coughling-up fumbles.

Coming into their 9th game of the season the Giants had won 5 of their last 7 and had won 3 road games in a row. The team was looking pretty solid and Warner was doing his part. But...when fans see their Golden Boy QBOF passing on the sidelines, they get anxious. And apparently so do some head coaches.

So, who do the Giants play in week 9? You got it. Minnesota Fats and the Arizona Cardinals in Tempe.

Despite holding Denny's Top 5 Offensive Juggernaut to a mere 191 yards of total offense, Kurt Warner is sacked 6 times (4 times by Bertrand Berry) and the Giants lose 17-14. (BTW---Larry Fitzgerald caught one pass in that game for 3 yards).

In Week 10 Tom Coughlin relegates Warner to the bench in favor bringing on Lil Eli. Warner takes his benching as graciously as any fierce competitor could. The pundits are applauding the move because most of them are convinced that Warner is dead in the water. Finished. Kaput.

Young Eli starts the next seven games...loses 6 of them...and the Giants finish 6-12. However, Coughlin's move, depsite the intial drawbacks, would turn out to spiral the Giants toward their own Super Bowl path, culminating in their stunning upset victory over the 18-0 New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

Meanwhile, while Kurt Warner started his last game of 2004 in Arizona as a New York Giant and was left by many for dead after that game, Denny Green signs Warner in 2005 to what turned out to be a year later an almost identical gig in Arizona...save that the Cardinals' version of the Golden Boy QBOF Matt Leinart was taken 10th and not 1st in the 2006 Draft.

Warner in Arizona does little to prove he's the player he once was...much the same as in New York...and Leinart is ushered into the starting lineup faster than originally anticipated. Yet, Warner remains humble and gracious. Perhaps this time even moreso.

The Wonderful Whiz. Ken Whisenhunt, the prolific offensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers who helped lead the Steelers to victory in Super Bowl XLI---projected as the logical successor to the retiring icon---elects to take the head coaching lob in Arizona while the Steelers were still making up their minds on their new head coach. Bold move.

Whisenhunt decides during his first year to create a role for Kurt Warner as the team's change-of-pace hurry-up QB. Matt Leinart starts the games---and when the offense stalls---in comes Warner and bang bang bang he's marching the team down the field in the hurry-up.

Coincidentally the Cardinals start to come of age in a game at home versus the Steelers when Whiz's 5th round draft pick Stevie Breaston takes a punt to the house, Leinart starts and struggles some, Warner relieves and marches the team to the lead and then Leinart finishes with a good, win-sealing drive. The new stadium is electric. Suddenly good things are happening in Arizona.

More coincidentally, Leinart is hurt versus Warner's old team the Rams and is lost for the season. Warner---despite badly injuring his left elbow himself and having to play with essentuially one arm---takes over and leads the team to a 5-3 record over the last 8 games and is putting up an unheard of (at least previously in Arizona) 27 points per game.

Following the season, Whiz announces that Matt Leinart would be the starting QB for the upcoming season. But, Warner has gathered some new belief from the fans and even the ESPN pundits who had written him off---as Warner tactfully addresses Whiz's QB decision to the ESPN crew during a nationally televised pre-season game, coincidentally against the New Orleans Saints. In this game, Warner is not even expected to play.

Yet, Leinart a little more than two weeks later struggles mightily against the Raiders...and then almost immediately ESPN jumps in on the situation and reports that Whiz would be turning back to Warner as the starting QB. Whiz is infuriated by the ESPN specualtion and waits until the early days of the first game week to confirm what ESPN had suspected.

Suddenly, the Cardinals are developing into a dynamic offense with Warner throwing to what would turn out to be a trio of 1,000 yard receivers: Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston.

Suddenly, the Cardinals look invincible at home.

Suddenly the Cardinals are going to win the NFC West for the first time ever.

Then there was the now infamous three game late season meltdown which caused Chris Collingsworth to deem the Cardinals as "the worst playoff team ever."

Then there came Whiz's supremely timely and effective Christmas Day wakeup practice.

Then a stunning 30-24 home win versus the Falcons in round one of the playoffs.

Then an even more stunning rare East Coast 33-13 road win at Carolina...and the stars start falling in place as on that same weekend the Eagles knock off Eli and the #1 seeded Giants at the Meadowlands. The NFC Championship: Philadelphia at Arizona. Wow!

And then despite coming out hotter than a firecracker in the NFC Championship game with the home fans screaming out of their minds, the Cardinals squander a big lead and have to put together a long clutch, time consuming TD drive to win the game and the NFC Championship. They pull it off with aplomb!

The red and white confetti streams gloriously down from the U of P rafters showering the exhuberant teary-eyed players and fans...the Arizona Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl.

Coincidentally, who do they play? The Steelers.

Even more coincidentally, that despite taking a shocking 23-20 lead with a mere 2:37 on an electrifing quick hitting skinny post from Warner to Fitzgerald that Fitzgerald raced with straight up the middle of the Steelers' vaunted defense looking like a motorboat leaving sailboats in its wake, the Cardinals lose the game on a play that looks curiously familiar to the play that started the 5 year Cardinal run to the Super Bowl, when Big Ben Roethlisberger steps up to his right and fires a pass to the back right corner of the end zone where Steelers' WR Antonio Holmes reaches up, cleanly plucks the ball out of mid-air with his hands and deftly taps his toes into the last blades of green grass contiguous to the white chalk of the end zone.

Upon further review...did Holmes' right toe ever actually touch the turf or did it remain tucked to the back of his left cleat?

In any event, when people talk about the proverbial "ifs"...

Maybe we should be more thankful of Josh McCown and Nate Poole after all.

Last edited:

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Very nice write up.

However, I believe that Denny Green stated that they would have still taken Fitz if they had the #1 pick, which basically renders the Poole TD moot in regards to the destiny of the Cards. Conceivably, the Chargers would have taken Eli with the #2 and the rest would have followed suit accordingly.

Denny was pretty adamant about taking Fitzgerald in that draft, because he knew him from his Minnesota days.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Never thought about the similarity between the 2 endings of the Vikes/Steelers games.

I still believe the missed sacks of Big Ben on the last drive (at least 3) cost us a championhsip with Docketts miss at the 1 yard line on 2nd & 20 could have sealed their fate. Defense has costs us at least 1 championship & possibly 2, so lets load up with 7 defensive players in the draft!!!

Last edited:

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't believe people were so upset about denny taking Fitz. I was living in Pittsburgh at the time and watchd Fitz play on tv every weekend. I remember being super excited about the prospect of a boldin/fitz combo.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here it is again (I'm sure posted many times). That was a fun game at SDS, and Paul Allen's MN call was priceless.

"Nooo! Nooo! The cardinals knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs!"

Edit - that would not be a touchdown under today's rules. Too funny.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Here it is again (I'm sure posted many times). That was a fun game at SDS, and Paul Allen's MN call was priceless.

Thanks for the video, jw7! Yeah, that TD would not have counted today due to the changed force-out rule. What a play, though!

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Paul Allen's MN call was priceless.
Paul Allen has some of the best calls ever. I'll be chuckling for quite a while over his call of Favre's INT in the NFC Champuionship game. "THIS IS NOT DETROIT, MAN!"

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice job as always, Mitch.

Denny taking Fitz happened before I became a Cardinals fan so it's something I've had to read about and catch up on.

But here's one thing I've been thinking about in the last few days. I became a Cardinals fan because of Fitz's talent. When I first moved here, everybody and his brother, including my own brother, was telling me not to waste my time on this team. I'm pretty sure "Cardinals stink" were the most repeated two words I heard when someone talked about the team. (I also heard a lot of "Warner's washed up why bother?")

But I was watching the games anyway because, hey, it's football.

There was one game, and it pains me that I cannot pin-point it (but it must have been in '07) when Larry made "one of those" catches and I knew this team could be something special. After that I was hooked and knew I had a team.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Nice write up, but Warner was signed in 2005, Leinart drafted in 2006. Warner's first year he switched back and forth with McCown.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang Mitch, I don't always agree with you, but I sure do enjoy your write-ups. Great job. You always manage to find a different angle and it's what makes your posts so enjoyable.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I can't find video, but against the Falcons last season, the 4th quarter pass from Warner to Stephen Spach to seal the victory is one of the most unheralded yet more important passes in Cards history. We were up 6 and if we didnt convert on 3 and long, the Falcons could have marched down the field and ended what was an impressive Superbowl run.

I remember breathing a HUGE sign of relief in the stands

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
So, who do the Giants play in week 9? You got it. Minnesota Fats and the Arizona Cardinals in Tempe.

Despite holding Denny's Top 5 Offensive Juggernaut to a mere 191 yards of total offense, Kurt Warner is sacked 6 times (4 times by Bertrand Berry) and the Giants lose 17-14. (BTW---Larry Fitzgerald caught one pass in that game for 3 yards).

In Week 10 Tom Coughlin relegates Warner to the bench in favor bringing on Lil Eli. Warner takes his benching as graciously as any fierce competitor could. The pundits are applauding the move because most of them are convinced that Warner is dead in the water. Finished. Kaput.

Young Eli starts the next seven games...loses 6 of them...and the Giants finish 6-12. However, Coughlin's move, depsite the intial drawbacks, would turn out to spiral the Giants toward their own Super Bowl path, culminating in their stunning upset victory over the 18-0 New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

Meanwhile, while Kurt Warner started his last game of 2004 in Arizona as a New York Giant and was left by many for dead after that game, Denny Green signs Warner in 2005 to an almost identical gig in Arizona...save that the Cardinals' version of the Golden Boy QBOF Matt Leinart was taken 10th and not 1st in the 2005 Draft.

I was at that Cardinals/Giants game in 04. It was Berry's 1st yr. in big red and he was tormenting opposing QB's. So was Adrian Wilson. They both dogged Haselbeck and Bulger at home too. None of them had an answer for either one of those two off the edge or blitzing. It was a thing of beuty. Quick and fast they got to the passers.

We need to continue that to get better next year and take more pressure off the secondary.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have a VHS tape of that draft (2004) and don't find anywhere that he ripped the Cardinals for the Fitzgerald selection. Mel had Fitz as his overwhelming #1 player on his big board and made a comment that the Cards got the best player in the draft. He did make a comment about the fact that Fitz and Boldin were similar players and that the Cards would have been wise to consider a quarterback, but in no way did he rip the team for the Fitzgerald selection.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Looking forward to when Mitch lends his writing talent to the saga of Matt Leinart.

Matt sitting bemused in the green room, dropping to the Cards at number 10, and after many trials and tribulations leading the Cards to their first Super Bowl win.

He will, of course, offer a postscript profuse with apologies. :D

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Very nice write up.

However, I believe that Denny Green stated that they would have still taken Fitz if they had the #1 pick, which basically renders the Poole TD moot in regards to the destiny of the Cards. Conceivably, the Chargers would have taken Eli with the #2 and the rest would have followed suit accordingly.

Denny was pretty adamant about taking Fitzgerald in that draft, because he knew him from his Minnesota days.

I think you are right, THT. What furthers the point, however, is that Denny Green was probably the only coach in America who would have taken Fitz over Manning and/or Rivers...especially with as weak as the Cardinals' QB situation was at the time.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice write up, but Warner was signed in 2005, Leinart drafted in 2006. Warner's first year he switched back and forth with McCown.

You are absolutely right, gm. I should have said Warner "wound up a year later" with the same gig. Thanks, man.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I have a VHS tape of that draft (2004) and don't find anywhere that he ripped the Cardinals for the Fitzgerald selection. Mel had Fitz as his overwhelming #1 player on his big board and made a comment that the Cards got the best player in the draft. He did make a comment about the fact that Fitz and Boldin were similar players and that the Cards would have been wise to consider a quarterback, but in no way did he rip the team for the Fitzgerald selection.

I was embellishing on the satire, for effect, Holian. You have it straight.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Looking forward to when Mitch lends his writing talent to the saga of Matt Leinart.

Matt sitting bemused in the green room, dropping to the Cards at number 10, and after many trials and tribulations leading the Cards to their first Super Bowl win.

He will, of course, offer a postscript profuse with apologies. :D

I'd be delighted with all of that. Hey, I might as well apologize right now, if you are this sure, CC.:D

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly, that pass meant nothing once Denny Green was hired.. Denny Green told people months before the draft he was drafting Fitz.. It was the least dramatic draft I ever witnessed.. So that "pass that spiraled us to the Super Bowl" didnt really happen..

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd be delighted with all of that. Hey, I might as well apologize right now, if you are this sure, CC.:D

Well, I once had a dream that the Cards won the Super Bowl, and the QB was left handed... ;)

Reaction score
I think the factual detail police are missing the point.

Mitch wrote a light hearted "editorial" piece, something akin to a historical novel; meant to tell a story based upon history, but not acurate in every detail.

It was an entertaining read! Well done.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

That play is eerily similar to the holmes TD in the Superbowl, including the positioning of the defensive players next to the receiver.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nice review Mitch A couple of thoughts come to my mind. In the end will Eli be better than Matt? Probably he will but for our sake lets hope not. Without Fitz I do not think we ever make it to the Superbowl. He had perhaps the greatest playoff run to the Superbowl of any WR ever. Would Manning have turned down AZ had we drafted him? Without a doubt he would have. He was being guided by his father and brother and San Diego had a better team than the Cards and a much superior reputation. Had Eli not have gone to NY then it is highly unlikely we end up with Kurt who is very much responsible for our success for the past 3 years and put us on the map for the first time in half a century. Sort of amazing what a little change here and there effects the entire league. Eli will never be Peyton and he will never be Kurt. Who will we have at QB three years from now? I sure have no idea but for our sake hope it is Matt who I do not have a lot of faith in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard