The X-Files: I Want to Believe (X-Files 2)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does every single movie have to turn into a stuuupid love story?

Because they finally got together in the final episode of X-Files?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I finally got rid of my final X-Files season set, almost by chance over the weekend. Hopefully I'll find a deal on the set sometime, but I'll probably just get the Bluray of this when it comes out.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some possible spoilers ?:

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/25536924.html

[Apparently one of the mods named danax6 at the Idealist's Haven message boards (a big board of X-Files fans) got ahold of the script or something and posted some pretty major spoilers for the upcoming X-Files movie sequel... (note: I go to that board, and she's been around a while, seems credible)

- Mulder and Scully have not been separated the past 6 years. The first shippy scene has them spooning in bed. Throughout the entire first part of the movie, their conversations are light and comfortable, including the one that takes place in Mulder's office when he still has a beard.
- They talk about William.
- During the movie they break up over a disagreement concerning their future and in true Mulder and Scully style, they create some pretty impressive angst.
- The second to last scene of the movie is the one that got leaked by Flynet -with Mulder and Scully kissing. It starts out as a goodbye scene, but they literally 'kiss and make up'. Chris Carter (though my money's on Frank) does indeed like happy endings.
- The real 'happy ending' doesn't occur until almost after the credits (so be sure to remain seated!), but it's too bizarre to even describe it, so you will just have to wait and see.
- The plot is a little incomprehensible and not really interesting. It's not scary either, but YMMV. I got the impression that at that times it was so hard to figure out what was going on that it took away from all the scariness.
- All in all, the movie is very shipper heavy and plot light.]

I am not sure how I feel about all this.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to see this at 11 AM tomorrow. How bout you Kate?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm going to have to see this probably Saturday sometime. But I'm really looking forward to it. Nervous, but looking forward to it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are certain things I look to Kate for. All things Hanson, Milwaukee and X-Files.

If I get arrested in Vegas, well, then it's all you, baby! :p ;)

WOOOHOO! Cuffem up! :)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Went to midnight showing and the only value this movie had was nostalgic.
The story itself was somewhat interesting, but the whole thing seemed underdeveloped. It felt like a weak 2-part episodes.

David was awesome- he didn't miss a beat since the show ended. There were a few times he made "Mulder remarks" that just made you feel like you were really watching X-Files. Gillian gave a good performance, but to me, at least, it didn't feel like Scully. She was whiny and annoying- at one point I thought that she belonged on the set of Grey's Anatomy instead of X-Files. Towards the end, when she figured out what was going on, we saw the real Scully (last 20 minutes of the movie, maybe?). Chemistry between the two just wasn't the same.

Bill Connoly did a very nice job in his role. His character had your attention every time he was in a scene. You really "wanted to believe" him, but you were not really sure about him.

I thought Amanda Peet did an outstanding job in her role, as minor as it was. She looked like she belonged in the X-Files universe, even more so than Scully during the first hour of the movie. There was a moment in the movie when I thought that her character could open those old files again and we could have ourselves X-Files the Next Generation. She really made most out of her character with very little screen time.

Back to nostalgic value, moment in this movie I enjoyed the most was 5-10 minutes that Mitch Pileggi was there. When he finally made an appearance, fans went crazy. I was relieved that I wasn't the only weirdo who wanted to cheer when Skinner showed up. For those 10 minutes or so that Skinner was there I really felt like I was back in the X-Files universe again. Skinner, his interaction with Scully, and very briefly Mulder, was textbook X-Files.

Again, movie had some nostalgic value. It was great to see Mulder, Scully and Skinner again. It made me remember how good that show was. Beyond nostalgic value, movie didn't offer much. If you were an X-Phile back in the day, you'll probably enjoy the movie, if only to see Mulder, Scully and Skinner again. If you never were an X-Phile, I really don't see what this movie offers to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The X-Files: I Want to Believe

Release Date: July 25, 2008
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Chris Carter
Screenwriter: Chris Carter, Frank Spotnitz
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for violent and disturbing content and thematic material)

Starring: David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Xzibit, Amanda Peet, Billy Connolly, Callum Keith Rennie, Adam Godley

Plot Summary: "The X-Files: I Want to Believe" is a stand-alone story in the tradition of some of the show's most acclaimed and beloved episodes, and takes the complicated relationship between Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) in unexpected directions. Mulder continues his unshakable quest for the truth, and Scully, the passionate, ferociously intelligent physician, remains inextricably tied to Mulder's pursuits.

You must be registered for see images

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give it an 8/10. I haven't completely decided if I like it more than the first movie or not. This movie had so many little things for long-time fans that it was like opening a big present at Christmas, and realizing there are smaller gifts inside the bigger gift. And for that, is what makes this movie for me.

Now, for a casual XF viewer, I can understand why this movie is getting mixed/bad reviews. The pacing was slow at times and the plot not totally followed through with. I think this movie suffered by opening so soon after The Dark Knight and I think expectations were a bit unrealistic.

Things I loved: Seeing Mulder/Scully interact again - Gillian and David picked up right where they left off and their connection simply oozed off the screen. I also loved how certain questions were answered or at least acknowledged (William, M/S relationship, etc). Both actors did a fantastic job bringing back their characters. Chris Carter finally let Scully show her small mole instead of covering it up with makeup - finally!

Things that could have been better: The pacing and the plot. Slow at times, and the plot, while interesting, had some holes and some un-answered questions (which of course, is nothing new for X-Files fans). The one part that practically had me screaming in frustration was when
Scully was talking to Mulder about the case being about Samantha and that he needed to get over it because she was dead. NO CRAP SCULLY! I think Mulder is a bit over that. I also didn't quite get the whole "Mulder/Scully break up scene. If I hadn't read the spoilers, I wouldn't have known that's what was happening. They could have presented that a bit better.

In conclusion, I think this movie did a solid job, but definitely left room for improvement. I disagree with some of the harsher negative reviews, but I can see their point.

If you're a long time fan, this movie was exactly what the doctor ordered. It was like one long group hug with people you havent seen in years. And I am totally okay with that. I will probably see this in the theatres a few more times, and will of course obsessively watch it when it comes out on DVD.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little different than I expected but it was pretty good. It was definitely worth the price of admission for me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I loved the interaction between the two, and Mulder's character was pretty much in keeping with his character from day 1 of the show. Scully also was like the old Scully, much to her detriment, because the last 3 or 4 years of the show had her as the believer. Didn't seem like she believed anymore in this movie. But that could have been a result of her return to traditional medicine.

There were a ton of in-jokes and yes, there was huge applause when
Skinner appeared. Although I was disappointed that he didn't really do anything except point a gun.

The only real disappointment for me is that the whole psychic thing was glossed over a bit. This was a solid police procedural movie with a grisly crime, but it didn't feel as much like an "X-Files" story.

If they do another one, I would hope they look at episodes like Humbug, Post-Modern Prometheus (my favorite of all time), Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's from Outer Space and War of the Cophrages to get a story. Either that, or go all out and follow the way of the really scary and/or grisly episodes, like Home.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they do another one, I would hope they look at episodes like Humbug, Post-Modern Prometheus (my favorite of all time), Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's from Outer Space and War of the Cophrages to get a story. Either that, or go all out and follow the way of the really scary and/or grisly episodes, like Home.

Two thumbs way up to your proposal. Frankly, this is what I was expecting. At least an attempt at such a thing. But the Brothers Morgan and Glen Wong are nowhere to be found in the X-Files room. This movie just proves for once and for all that Cris Carter once had a nice idea about a TV show that coincided with an end-of-the-millennium cultural tempest of anxiety, but he was not all the driving force behind the genius of the show. He is an awful screenwriter.

This movie fails, but not for trying. I'll give it that. They hit on the highest notes that made the show so addictive: the relationship between Mulder & Scully. They just forget to put in all the other stuff that really made Mulder & Scully's relationship simmer. Sure, they each had a challenge to their faith. They always do. But this time around there were few real dark shadows to spur them into action as unwilling or unwitting heroes.

If they do another X-Files, what they really need to do is bring in the writers that originally animated the show.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$10.2 million opening weekend. I guess this is not the worst possible news. They only spent $30 mil and I'm told distribution thinks they'll double the number over seas.

Still, I think we can call X Files a dead franchise.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
$10.2 million opening weekend. I guess this is not the worst possible news. They only spent $30 mil and I'm told distribution thinks they'll double the number over seas.

Still, I think we can call X Files a dead franchise.
I wouldn't got that far because I think home video will make a ton of money on this one.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't got that far because I think home video will make a ton of money on this one.

It depends on how they package it. It has to make a ton on sales to justify a studio making a big expense -- like top-selling DVD of the year or something to that affect. Wall Street sort of demands that kind of return on that kind of cash layout. Investors fall asleep when discussion moves to overseas gate and home video. To them, that's their icing, not their cake, because they were already counting on that cash flow ... creative has already had their primary financial returns fulfilled at that point.

What boggles the mind is X-Files regularly shot hourly shows for less than $2 mil per ep and they had fewer effects in this $30 million movie. It was the most low-frills decent budget sci-fi flick I've seen since in awhile. I guess that's the cost of bringing in set talent for a one-and-done shoot.

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think the franchise is dead, but maybe that's my Phile-heart clouding my judgement.

Anyway, after my second viewing of this film, I've decided that I really liked it - more so than on my first viewing. I got home and immediately put on my favorite episode (Bad Blood). This movie makes me love Mulder and Scully like... 100000x more than I did before. And I don't know why. Maybe it's because I know how they are doing post-Season 9. Maybe it's because this movie was kind of like closure. I don't know. But this movie allowed me to fall in love with these characters all over again.

I am such a freaking fan-girl...