The X-Files: I Want to Believe (X-Files 2)

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Gotta disagree with you Kate. Sure, the quality is a bit suspect at times, but the point is that you get every episode that's on the US version.

The packaging is different (not nearly as sturdy), and the fact that they have Asian subs is irrelevant, you can simply turn them off. The region coding doesn't matter either.

The fact of the matter is that the DVDs are actually very similar--almost identical in some instances. The thing is, most of the people that would want to actually buy season sets of the X-Files would most likely go with the American versions because the presentation is so much better--and they are likely to be collectors.

I understand that - if he just wants the shows then get the Asian kind.

But me, being an X-Files snob, I need the best of the best! :D

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus her bra is about as big as a person's head!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally - one X-Files 2 thread. :D

Unfortunately - X-Files 2: Not so fast, Mulder.

Question: I was excited to read that a second X-Files movie is finally being made. Do you have any more info on the plot — other than that it will be a stand-alone horror flick? — Jack K.

Ausiello: Actually, it looks like David Duchovny was getting a little ahead of himself when he told USA Today last week that the film was slated to begin production later this year. "There's nothing at the moment going on," Chris Carter's agent, Elliott Webb, says. "There is no negotiation, there's no script written, there's nothing other than a desire for people to get together." Bummer.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duchovny's Ready For Another 'X-Files' Movie
Wed, Oct 05, 2005
By Daniel Fienberg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com)-
As tempting as it might be to try, it's nearly impossible to talk to David Duchovny about his creative endeavors without steering the conversation, unavoidably, to "The X-Files" and the potential for a second feature film.

Unfortunately, Duchovny has no new information beyond confirming, as he's done several times previously, that he and co-star Gillian Anderson are ready to return whenever the situation allows.

"I guess we're just in an indefinite holding pattern," Duchovny admits. "It's about Chris Carter and Fox coming to terms. Gillian and I are signed on. We're ready to go. Chris and Fox are slugging it out."

The first "X-Files" movie hit theaters in the summer of 1998 and made around $84 million at the domestic box office and exceeded that figure internationally. The popular FOX series ended its nine-season run in 2002 and despite years of rumors, no subsequent features have advanced beyond development hell. It's not like Duchovny hasn't been busy -- his first feature as a writer-director, "House of D," hit DVD on Tuesday (Oct. 4) -- but he remains faithful to the franchise that made him a star.

"I feel nostalgia for the show in a way," says Duchovny. "I'd always wanted it to be a movie franchise. I never thought that when I felt the show ending or when I wanted to leave the show that it was the end of the show. I always thought that it was a natural for the screen. I'm happy to go back and continue it that way."

While Duchovny has hear vague rumblings about the negotiations between Fox and Carter, he isn't aware of any potential scripts, much less story arcs for the film.

"I don't think that's the way anybody does business -- nobody writes until they're getting paid to write," he says, adding, "In terms of arcs, it's hard to throw an arc in a movie unless you're committing to 'Matrix 2 and 3' or ' Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3,' so I think the next one would be really just a stand-alone story and less of an arc."

Attachments

• duchovny.jpg
    duchovny.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 82

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
I hate Chris Carter.

but without him, there would have been no x-files....

And why are the DVD's so dang expensive??

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
but without him, there would have been no x-files....

And why are the DVD's so dang expensive??

I hate Christ Carter, right now. I love him back then :)

The DVD's are so expensive because the X-Files was the very first TV show to be put out on DVD - so they were the guinea pigs, thus the higher price, I am guessing cuz of the higher price to make.

Plus, it is a 1 hour show which generally are more expensive than 30 minute shows. Just a guess, maybe Chap can answer that one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
I hate Christ Carter, right now. I love him back then :)

The DVD's are so expensive because the X-Files was the very first TV show to be put out on DVD - so they were the guinea pigs, thus the higher price, I am guessing cuz of the higher price to make.

Plus, it is a 1 hour show which generally are more expensive than 30 minute shows. Just a guess, maybe Chap can answer that one.

That is correct. Part of the reasoning behind the high price points was that it was such a new venture, putting TV on DVD. To be fair, the retail pricing on X-Files have gone down a lot--you can get seasons for 50 bucks at most places now.

X-Files itself was also an expensive show to produce--it's interesting that Fox chose that show as their tentpole TV on DVD release.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
thirty-two said:

This is incorrect... South Park season 1 was released October of 1998 nearly 2 years before the X-files was released 5/9/2000. Also Stargate SG-1 Season 1 was released Feb 2000

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releasesmonth.cfm

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
This is incorrect... South Park season 1 was released October of 1998 nearly 2 years before the X-files was released 5/9/2000. Also Stargate SG-1 Season 1 was released Feb 2000

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releasesmonth.cfm

actually, you are incorrect.

if you'll notice, those shows released "volumes" not actual "seasons"

x-files was the first to have the entire seasons released, not just a volume 1 of 3 etc.

so i will clarify my statement that x-files was the first tv show on dvd - they were the first tv show to put out actual seasons of the show, rather than volumes.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That is correct. Part of the reasoning behind the high price points was that it was such a new venture, putting TV on DVD. To be fair, the retail pricing on X-Files have gone down a lot--you can get seasons for 50 bucks at most places now.

X-Files itself was also an expensive show to produce--it's interesting that Fox chose that show as their tentpole TV on DVD release.

Where can you get it for $50? Borders has it for $99, Media Play has it for $84, and amazon.com has it for $75.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Where can you get it for $50? Borders has it for $99, Media Play has it for $84, and amazon.com has it for $75.

DeepDiscountDVD.com has every season for $52. Best Buy had them on special for $50 for a few weeks also.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
DeepDiscountDVD.com has every season for $52. Best Buy had them on special for $50 for a few weeks also.

Thanks for the info - have you bought from DeepDiscountDVD before? Are they reliable?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awww Jon are you thinking of getting the DVD's?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Thanks for the info - have you bought from DeepDiscountDVD before? Are they reliable?

Yes. They are pretty good--and close to the best online prices you'll find. Their shipping is free, but it's very slooooooow. Not like Amazon, where even though they have their mess-ups, my experience has them shipping stuff sooner than I expect.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4253

Starting on January 31, 2006 Fox is lowering the suggested retail price for seasons 1, 2, and 3 from $149.95 to $49.98. That means that street prices for these seasons will more then likely fall into the $30s and now be on par with some of the other season sets out there.

Also, for those who are more concerned with saving space on their dvd shelves and who are not the biggest fan of the digipack packaging, those same seasons will now be packaged in slim cases much like Millennium and Roswell.

The rest of the seasons will more then likely follow.

DVD content and artwork will remain the same.

Jon if you can wait a few months, looks like the prices are going down.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Jon if you can wait a few months, looks like the prices are going down.

Excellent - thanks. Good move by them.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another X-Files movie?

I thought Kate might be interested...(I think it's Kate..) I saw this on MSN today:

:Notes from all over
Gillian Anderson
says she’s eager to do another “X Files.” “David Duchovny and I and creator Chris Carter are determined to do another,” Anderson told the Toronto Star. “Hopefully, by the time we actually do it, whenever that is, people will still give a [bleep].” ...

Thought you might like some good news. Hopefully it's new news and not old news!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Linderbee said:
I thought Kate might be interested...(I think it's Kate..) I saw this on MSN today:

Thought you might like some good news. Hopefully it's new news and not old news!

It makes me very happy that both co-stars are willing and wanting to do a 2nd movie.

Chris Carter and Fox are actually battling it out in court for some reason or another, and I'm guessing that is what the hold up is. Fox recently re-leased X-Files on DVD (again) and slashed the prices and made the box smaller. So I am assuming there is interest on their end as well.

Ugh... :(

But yes, thanks for the quote, it makes me happy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort