Directed by Judd Apatow

Cast:
Steve Carell - Andy Stitzer
Catherine Keener - Trish
Paul Rudd - David
Romany Malco - Jay
Seth Rogen - Cal

Critic's Review:
Judd Apatow's directorial debut, The 40-Year-Old Virgin accomplishes something very rare for a comedy, it is a very funny, bawdy sex comedy that transcends the genre because of the three-dimensional characters and the subtle acting. Steve Carell created his character while part of Chicago's Second City troupe, and like all of the best sketches they produce, the laughs come more from the human behavior of the characters than in the situation itself. Carell's pitch-perfect performance is matched by Catherine Keener who creates a warm, appealing, intelligent woman who would believably fall for Carell's character. All the supporting players (Paul Rudd, Seth Rogan, Jane Lynch, and the rest) are given fully realized characters to play, making the outrageous behavior even funnier because the audience can relate to the people even if the actions seem outlandish. The screenplay is both full of big laugh lines and works as a perfectly structured romantic comedy. In lesser hands, this would have become a one-note comedy, but The 40-Year-Old Virgin is a comedy symphony. ~ Perry Seibert, Rovi

My Review:
Now a classic comedy, this film is a hilarious look at the nature of sex in later life. It even has something to say about relationships. An extremely smart sex comedy that never gets old.

The film made stars out of a few people--namely Steve Carell and Seth Rogen. Carell had been known as a supporting player and a reporter on The Daily Show, but this movie showed him to be an extremely gifted comedian and we all know where that led. He is supported by several hilarious actors, including Seth Rogan, Romany Falco, Paul Rudd (brilliant), Mindy Kaling and Jane Lynch (also brilliant). Even Jonah Hill shows up in an early-career cameo that is quite funny. And of course, Catherine Keener, showing once again how good she is as an actress.

That said, while the film is hilariously funny, it's not very well-made. The photography is actually quite bad, but with movies like this, the comedy acting, writing and directing is so good, it's hard to notice.

It's been 6 years since the film came out, but Apatow IMO still hasn't equaled his first film. Hilarious from start to finish, the film also has a great heart and that's rare in most comedies.

Trivia:
The scene where Andy has his chest hair removed required five cameras set up for the shot. Star Steve Carell's chest hair was actually ripped out in the scene. The actor had told director Judd Apatow just before shooting the scene: "It has to be real. It won't be as funny if it's mocked up or if it's special effect. You have to see that this is really happening." The scene had to be done in one shot.

When Cal and Andy walk through the bookstore, the first book that's prominently visible in the upper left corner is "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.

A lot of the movie was improvised while shooting.

In a deleted scene on the Unrated DVD, when Andy is on the phone trying to get help to get rid of his erection, the person on the other end is director Judd Apatow impersonating an Indian accent.

Judd Apatow's daughter came up with the idea of having the drunken Nicky (played by Apatow's wife Leslie Mann) fall asleep while driving Andy to her place and bouncing off of parked cars.

The "We Sell Your Stuff on eBay" store was a real store; it was written into the script after the location was chosen.

Several times in the movie, Cal wears t-shirts with music LP covers on them. They are: - Nirvana: Nevermind - Sonic Youth: Dirty - Public Enemy: Fear of a Black Planet - Genius/The GZA: Liquid Swords. All these albums were released through Universal Music labels; this film was released by Universal Pictures.

The "beautiful old Guatemalan love song" sung by Javier to Paula translates to: When I clean my room / I can't find anything / Where are you going in such a hurry/ To the soccer game.

The restaurant that Andy and Trish eat at on their first date is a Benihana.

The Yellow Post-It note attached to Andy's calendar says "Don't Forget! Power Off Wed. Midnight to 2 AM".

Trish's last name is Piedmont. It is seen on her card that she gives to Andy.

The films that are watched by the characters in the Smar-Tech store are all produced by Universal.

The song that Andy is playing on his baritone horn while marching around his apartment is "Anchors Aweigh".

Premiere voted this movie as one of "The 50 Greatest Comedies Of All Time" in 2006.

Mindy Kaling's (Amy) film debut.

The counselor at the health clinic where Andy takes Marla is played by Steve Carell's real-life wife, Nancy Carell.

The entire "You Know How I Know You're Gay" scene was improvised by Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen.

Actress Elizabeth Banks, who plays Beth, was commuting back and forth between L.A. and Vancouver, since at the time she was shooting this movie she was also in Canada working on Slither (2006).

When Trish is helping Andy package up his toys for sale she mentions that "the only other person that has as many toys as you, is my friend Eric Gilliland". Eric, who is a real friend of Catherine Keener, was the head writer on the "Roseanne" (1988) show and has written and produced many others.

During the "Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine in" song-and-dance scene, Jay is seen performing the "sideways shuffle" made popular by M.C. Hammer. Romany Malco (Jay) starred as M.C. Hammer in the VH1 TV movie Too Legit: The MC Hammer Story (2001).

Steve Carell's wife Nancy Carell (Walls) suggested Jane Lynch for the role of Paula, who also worked with Carell during their Second City days. Before Walls suggested Lynch for the role, it was written to be played by a man, and the character did not come on to Andy until Lynch had been cast and the actors came up with that scene (with her singing the "beautiful old Guatemalan love song" to Andy) during rehearsals.

Steve Carell, the actor who played the "40 Year Old Virgin", was actually 43 years old and a father of two children when the movie was released in 2005.

In a magazine interview, director Judd Apatow revealed a trick behind the film's success: during the first preview of the movie, he had actually recorded the preview audiences vocal reaction with a tape recorder. When it came to re-cutting the film for the general release, he trimmed the film in sync to the recorded reaction. The scenes that did not have audience reaction were either cut or trimmed (but reinserted in the Unrated edition).

During the "you know how I know you're gay" scene, Paul Rudd is wearing a t-shirt that has a picture of himself on it.

"Smart-tech" is loosely based on the "Circuit City" chain.

Paul Rudd came up with the idea for Steve Carell to yell out "Oh, Kelly Clarkson" during the waxing scene.

According to Seth Rogen, Steve Carell was so nervous that the film would be shut down by the studio, he had the writers prepare a back-up version of the script that didn't contain a single word of profanity.

A deleted scene has Andy fantasizing about a television reporter named after one of the film's producers, Shauna Robertson.

Cameo: Jenna Fischer Is seen in the first bar scene

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another solid choice! Love the movie. Extremely funny throughout!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite scenes are the Leslie Mann drunk scenes.

"I'm starvin... let's get some [freaking] french toast!"

I laugh every single time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a true new classic. this movie is one of my favorite comedies of all time and sooooooooooooo much better than anything else Carrel has done since.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"If I have to hear "Yamo Be There" one more time, I'm going to "Yamo" burn this place to the ground."
-------------
"Like a bag o sand."
-------------
"I hope you have a big trunk... because I'm puttin' my bike in it."

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that the Six Million Dollar Man's Boss?

Wow, this place is crowded.
Yeah, well, you know ... $9 beer night.

Is this shirt too yellow?
Tell me, what's Curious George like in real life?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's official. I am too old (or too something) to take movie recommendations from most of you, especially when it comes to modern comedies. Based on the comments here I decided to Netflix this movie. I just stopped watching 12 minutes into it and for the life of me I can't think of a valid reason to watch a minute more.

And what is up with Apatow? Does he really think that ********** is a funny subject. He must be from Washington. I'm 56 and I've never told a single story about ********** and less than 10 minutes into this movie he's told two of them (a lady being ridden by a horse and letting a dog lick his butt while he has sex). I've hated everything I've seen that he had a hand in so I really should have known better than to waste my time with this.

Steve

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Love this movie.

Funny, and was actually a good story.

Not to mention there are so many great lines, that I cannot list them all.

[Do] her and have her send you a check for twelve dollars on your birthday.

it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.

What did she say after "a liar"?
She sounds like a tea kettle

Love it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson