The X-Files 3

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The X-Files 3

David Duchovny Wants To Make Another X-Files Movie

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/David-Duchovny-Wants-Make-Another-X-Files-Movie-43634.html

While the first X-Files movie - released during the height of the series' popularity in 1998 - was a box office hit, the same can't be said for its sequel. Released in 2008, a full decade after the first one, The X-Files: I Want To Believe cost only $35 million to make, but wound up only making $20.9 here and $47 million abroad. These numbers didn't exactly tell the studio that audiences were clamoring for more stories featuring FBI Agents Mulder and Scully, so the idea of a third movie has long been considered an unlikely possibility. All that out there, David Duchovny still isn't giving up hope that there is a future for the X-Files.

With Duchovny's long-running showtime series Californication coming to an end this weekend, Rolling Stone recently sat down to talk with the actor, and during the course of the interview the X-Files star admitted that he still hasn't quite put Fox Mulder behind him. Asked if he would be game for a third film in the franchise, Duchovny said, "I would always want to do it. I wish we'd done more already. I wish the second one did better business. I think it did OK business, but not the kind of business where you get to do another one right away."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duchovny may want a new X-Files movie, but judging from the bomb that was X-Files 2, no one else does.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Duchovny may want a new X-Files movie, but judging from the bomb that was X-Files 2, no one else does.

Gillian has said she does as well. But Cris Carter isn't exactly a big name in the industry anymore. Whatever happened with his Amazon show?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gillian has said she does as well. But Cris Carter isn't exactly a big name in the industry anymore. Whatever happened with his Amazon show?

I meant no one else who green lights films wants another one after the 2nd one bombed. What Anderson, Duchovny or Carter want means two thing: Jack and Squat.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I meant no one else who green lights films wants another one after the 2nd one bombed. What Anderson, Duchovny or Carter want means two thing: Jack and Squat.

Several movies out today (and coming out soon) would disprove your point.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes!!

I dont care if XF2 bombed! I want more!!!!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Apparently, it was green lit for the first season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the second was really flawed but damn if I wouldn't mind a 3rd movie. Maybe because I miss the show still to this day.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Also, the 2nd movie underperformed domestically, but actually made some money overseas. It's budget was 30m, and it finished around 70m. Not great, but not a bomb either.

It also was released a week after The Dark Knight, so that couldn't have helped its domestic take.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, the 2nd movie underperformed domestically, but actually made some money overseas. It's budget was 30m, and it finished around 70m. Not great, but not a bomb either.

It also was released a week after The Dark Knight, so that couldn't have helped its domestic take.

a studio sequel making 68 million dollars worldwide is a pretty damn poor result. not a bomb of John Carter size, but that's a loss, plain and simple. With a production budget of 30 million, plus P&R (which for smaller budgeted films are uniformly 50% of the production budget...and probably more for a sequel released during the summer season) that puts the total cost of the movie at the lowest at 45 million bucks. Throw in the fact that studios only get about half of Domestic Ticket Sales (can top out around 55-60%) and usually only get about 15% of Foreign Ticket Sales and you're looking at a 45 million dollar outlay of cash by the studio with a return of 17.5 million dollars from worldwide box office sales. That's a net loss of 27.5 million dollars. In other words... a bomb. Hell, if even if you wanted to throw in DVD sales and licensing fees, it still wouldn't come close to making up the 27.5 million dollar gap between what it cost to make and market the movie and what it brought in.

For those who don't know. All of the above is pretty much common knowledge in the industry.

here's a good article that explains the breakdown of movies and what studios need to make and how they make it to achieve success.
http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable

and even more then that, the first movie made 190 million worldwide, 80 million domestic. No studio in their right mind greenlights a second sequel after the first sequel was likely a loss, while making 1/3 of what the original movie in the series made...especially when the first movie in the series was a solid hit, but not a blockbuster smash.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The first movie came out while the show was still running, the 2nd came out several years after the show ended.

You tout taking a lot of things into consideration (mostly based on original numbers), but you ignore others (when it was released, the state of the show at the time, etc.).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first movie came out while the show was still running, the 2nd came out several years after the show ended.

You tout taking a lot of things into consideration (mostly based on original numbers), but you ignore others (when it was released, the state of the show at the time, etc.).

no, I don't. the fact that the show is even further in the past only bolsters the argument that they'd be less likely to greenlight another sequel. i mean, part of your argument here is that one of the reasons the second one did worse was because the sequel came out several years after the show ended, right? Well, wouldn't it logically follow that a third one would be even worse with the show even further in the rear-view mirror?

and yes, Batman came out the weekend before, BUT it's not like FOX had no clue it was a) going to come out the weekend after Batman (summer schedules are set at least a year in advance) and b) there were two other movies that made much more money then it did that same weekend when it debuted. The X-Files sequel came in a distant 4th that weekend opening at a pretty pathetic 10 million dollars, behind Batman, Stepbrothers at 30 million and Mamma Mia at 17. Stepbrothers went on to make over 100 million dollars even in the wake of the Batman behemoth and Mamma Mia made over 120 million dollars. In other words, there was plenty of money to go around that summer and the X-Files couldn't garner any of it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a few:

S. Darko
Silent Hill sequels
Scorpion King 3 & 4
The Cell 2
Death Race 2 & 3
Any sequel to an Uwe Boll movie
Death at a Funeral remake
Basic Instinct 2
Blue Brothers 2000

almost all of the above were straight to video releases (Darko, The Cell, Death Races, Uwe Boll, Scorpion King). Are you trying to say that there's a chance for a direct to DVD threequel of the X-Files, because that's pretty much every movie you described above that pertains to the conversation? Maybe there'd be a chance there (although I highly doubt it...and when I said "no one else wants one" at the beginning of the thread, I was talking about a studios making theatrical releases...sorry if that wasn't clear), but I'd be shocked if Duchovny, Anderson and Carter wasted their time with a direct to DVD/On Demand movie at this point in their careers.

As to the rest of the movies you listed, Silent Hill 2 was a sequel to a successful first movie. Silent Hill 3 was a direct to DVD release because the sequel was a failure (much like X-Files 2). And Basic Instinct 2 was a sequel to a smash hit (where as a sequel to X-files 2 would be a sequel to a dud sequel), so i'm not sure why you listed that one either as it doesn't fit the criteria of a studio making a 2nd sequel after the first sequel was unsuccessful.

Death At A Funeral wasn't even a sequel, so I have no clue what it's doing in your list. It was a remake geared at a completely different audience. How is that relevant to a studio making a 3rd entry in a series when the second entry was unsuccessful?

And Blues Brothers 2000 was a first sequel to a cult classic (and a terrible idea, one that was hatched over 15 years ago when the movie business was VERY different and studios were making a lot more movies...which hardly qualifies it under your statement that it's there are plenty of movies like X-files 3 movie being made now or coming soon).

now, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point a studio made a total reboot of the X-Files, but a straight sequel, with all the same players, seemingly eons after the show ended and a sequel didn't make money? In what's become a straight bottom-line business, I don't see why anyone would take a risk greenlighting that movie.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard