The X-Files: I Want to Believe (X-Files 2)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.razormagazine.com/games1203.php

David Duchovny Talks The X-Files 2
Source: Razor
Monday, December 1, 2003

Actor David Duchovny is a guest game reviewer for Razor and in his write-up on the upcoming "The X-Files: Resist or Serve" game, he mentions the sequel to 1998's The X-Files.

"We're also working to put together the next X-Files movie. I'd imagine we'd get into shooting in the next year or so, depending on when the script is written."

You can check out his full review of the game at the link above.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: X-Files 2

Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
http://www.razormagazine.com/games1203.php

I'd imagine we'd get into shooting in the next year or so, depending on when the script is written."

That's the problem - Chris Carter has shown no signs of even attempting to write a script. His company, 1013 Productions, technically does not exist anymore and has shown no movement at all that would even give hope for a second movie. Rumor has it that he's burned his bridges with almost everyone in Hollywood. FOX took down the official site for awhile (but eventually put it back up) A lot of XF fans seriously doubt the second movie is going to happen. The only moments of hope thus far are: 1) Duchovny and Andersen have stated they would be willing to do a second movie 2) Some doll company is in the works to release new X-Files dolls 3) The new quote by Duchovny.

Regardless of all that crap, I think Chris Carter has limited himself about the actual storyline. There is no way the movie can take place after Season 9, without making utterly no sense and/or pissing off long time fans. The mythology was shot to hell by that point and it left with Mulder and Scully running from the Feds. And many long-time die hard fans do NOT want to see Doggett and Reyes in the movie. Some people are hoping it will be a "Monster of the Week," which a lot of X-Philers agree would be the best route. It would be the bread and butter of the X-Files: Mulder/Scully interaction and a good "scary" story. Some of my favorite X-Files episodes were MOTW. But of course the movie would have to take place BEFORE Season 8 because Mulder was fired from the FBI in that season.

Anyway, I have babbled too much. I am all for a second movie, as long as Chris Carter has a good script, one that is going to not piss off the long time fans - and a script that wont contradict the other nine seasons.

I really need to stop typing because I could go on and on about this movie thing and I really don't think anyone cares. :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: X-Files 2

Originally posted by thirty-two
I really need to stop typing because I could go on and on about this movie thing and I really don't think anyone cares. :)

I think you're underestimating the number of XF fans on this site. :cool:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I care, and I'd like to see the movie involve the mythology, not the monster of the week.

But like you said, it will be hard...the last season was weird, and confusing. I want to see what the hell has happened to them.

I miss Mulder and Scully :)

Mike

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
I want to see what the hell has happened to them.

I miss Mulder and Scully :)

That's what it's all about - some good ol Mulder/Scully interaction. :D

As you know, FOX has released the Season DVD Sets - The latest one, Season 8, was released November 4, 2003. Season 9 will be released sometime in May 2004. If a movie is to be done, I wonder if they might time it with that - maybe by inserting a handout or something finally confirming that a movie is the works, say by a 2005 release or something.

Do any of you have or thought about buying the DVD sets?

And BIM - I'm glad to hear you like XF, too :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have Seasons 1-7 on DVD.

I have to agree with most of what you say, but I must say I'm convinced their WILL be a movie. However it gets done, the franchise still will make money, and that's all that really matters in Hollywood anyway. If Fox decides it wants nothing to do with Chris Carter, I will guarantee you that studios like Warner Bros. and Dreamworks will gladly take the franchise off their hands.

Heck, they're releasing a video game next year--there's obviously still a lot of interest in the X-Files universe.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
I have Seasons 1-7 on DVD.

I have to agree with most of what you say, but I must say I'm convinced their WILL be a movie. However it gets done, the franchise still will make money, and that's all that really matters in Hollywood anyway. If Fox decides it wants nothing to do with Chris Carter, I will guarantee you that studios like Warner Bros. and Dreamworks will gladly take the franchise off their hands.

Heck, they're releasing a video game next year--there's obviously still a lot of interest in the X-Files universe.

That's a good point - The X-Files is still a cash cow. They are just going to have to sell it in the right way. They will already have the long-time fans, but will have to get those who just started watching XF in seasons 8 and 9. I would think they'd test the European market somehow to see where things stand with them because I remember the first movie was HUGE over there.

Knowing that movies like Freddy Got Fingered get filmed gives me hope that X-Files 2 still has a chance :)

I have Seasons 1-7 as well - I just bought Season 8 a few weeks ago. Pretty hefty in price, but so worth it :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, I pretty much wait for the seasons to come out. I don't think I've paid more than 60 bucks for each of them. You can find tons of deals around Hollywood if you look hard enough.

That said, the first movie didn't do that well over here--at least, not as well as they thought. The problem with the first movie was that it really concentrated on the mythology. I know Mike said he would rather see a mythology story--which I don't think I'll ever understand--but the monster-of-the-week storyline is better because a) it's familiar (thus able to make more money) and b) it's also new.

The first movie suffered from several problems:

1) The fact they tried to win converts--hopefully with the second movie, they won't worry about that.

2) The writing wasn't very good at all (Most of Scully's lines were terrible).

3) With the exception of a little bit of blood, it really was just an extended episode. The people making the movie have to make it more than the show--although at this point, just having an X-Files movie, whether it's the same style as the show or not, is fine for most fans.

Can you imagine an X-Files movie directed by David Fincher? Can you imagine it if he made it like Se7en?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually buy mine on eBay, and pay $40-80 per season. I've actually purchased 2 sets of seasons 1-8 and I plan on selling them (as a bundle) pretty soon. And hopefully make a profit :)

I agree with your points - CC tried to write a story that die-hard XF fans could sink their teeth into, but also, not leave the newbies behind. I think his mistake was by trying to include everyone, I think it insulted the long time fans - they were expecting answers about certain questions (bees, syndicate, etc) but all CC managed to do was go in circles and create more questions. This is more my opinion than anything, but I really think this is where X-Files started to decline in quality (of writing). Season 6 was XF-Light and Season 7 was MOTW after MOTW after MOTW. Also, after the movie, the X-Files still had numerous mythology threads that were all hanging loose - black oil, bees, the resistance, Mulder's sister, etc - and I really think the hardcore fans were disappointed that the movie did not attempt to shed light on any of these. Instead, Chris Carter throws in a big space ship, more bees, and an alien that resembles the alien that was in the movie ALIEN. It gave the long-time fans nothing - and he even gyped us of a Mulder/Scully kiss (damn him! :) )

As for David Fincher, I'm not really knowledgeable on directors and such. I have seen Se7en though, and I remember liking it. Good direction, if I remember correctly.

Do you think the new movie should include Doggett/Reyes and take place after Season 9 - or should it be a standalone that took place during Seasons 1-7 ?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got these from another X-Files Message Board. Sheds some light on a possible second movie.

----
It's been six long years, but fans of the X-Files can finally rest assured that the small screen’s FBI alien huggers are once more en route to the big screen. Talks of a sequel have been bouncing around Hollywood for some time now, but this week news came from David Duchovny himself that a sequel was already in pre-production.

US movie site Moviehole.net got the inside story from Duchovny while interviewing him for his latest movie Connie and Carla. Asking whether there was any likelihood at all that Duchovny and Gillian Anderson would ever make a sequel, they got a surprisingly positive response. 'It's definitely happening,’ Duchovny confirmed. ‘Chris has a great idea for the new movie and I expect we'll be able to begin shooting in the next year or so.'

Asked whether he’ll expect major developments in his character Fox Mulder, Duchovny replied: 'I hope not. I was really fighting against that in the final years of the show and I think the whole point. I think we're going to be introducing a new character in the film which will allow us to cast a major star, male or female, who will want to be part of an exciting supernatural thriller. I think the new movie will appeal to both our core fans and a broad audience. I'm very excited about it.'

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/NewsStory.asp?news_id=15715

---------------

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_905849.html?menu=entertainment.films

---

Maybe just maybe, possibly, hopefully, sorta, longshot, there MIGHT be more hope for an X-Files 2...

David and Gillian had lunch together in LA a few weeks ago. And David also had lunch with Chris Carter. So who knows!

Last edited:

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
thirty-two said:
That's what it's all about - some good ol Mulder/Scully interaction. :D

As you know, FOX has released the Season DVD Sets - The latest one, Season 8, was released November 4, 2003. Season 9 will be released sometime in May 2004. If a movie is to be done, I wonder if they might time it with that - maybe by inserting a handout or something finally confirming that a movie is the works, say by a 2005 release or something.

Do any of you have or thought about buying the DVD sets?

And BIM - I'm glad to hear you like XF, too :)

Me likey X-files!!! :hulk:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Asked whether he’ll expect major developments in his character Fox Mulder, Duchovny replied: 'I hope not. I was really fighting against that in the final years of the show and I think the whole point. I think we're going to be introducing a new character in the film which will allow us to cast a major star, male or female, who will want to be part of an exciting supernatural thriller. I think the new movie will appeal to both our core fans and a broad audience. I'm very excited about it.'

I'm not sure I like that. The great thing about the X-Files is not only was the show itself kinda "low-key", the casting was as well. (Casting Luke Wilson in the vamp episode was inspired genius)

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm not sure I like that. The great thing about the X-Files is not only was the show itself kinda "low-key", the casting was as well. (Casting Luke Wilson in the vamp episode was inspired genius)

I'm glad you noticed that. I don't think I would like that as much either.

Some people on the messageboard where I got this link from are very skeptical about the source of that quote. In their opinions (and mine), DD would NEVER say something like that (about Mulder not developing... DD always said he wanted Mulder to evolve, etc etc). So as usual, I will take it with a grain of salt, but just seeing Duchonvy say "It's definitely happening" makes me positively giddy.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Glad to see there are other X-Philers on this site.

Anyway, I'm glad there might be another movie, but I really don't understand how they can come up with a good story line after the last two seasons.

Kate, on one hand, I really don't want to see Doggett/Reyes, but again, they could serve as some kind of a tool to resolve the whole confusion after the X- Files ended.

I'm still pissed about the ending, and would really like to see it resolved in a movie. It would be cool if government got into some huge problem that only Mulder and Scully can resolve, they use Doggett to contact them, they solve the problem and are reinstated to the FBI. I'd love to see a happy ending. :)

The truth is out there! :thumbup:

Stefan

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I didn't really mind Doggett, but I pretty much hated Reyes. Annabeth Gish is a good actress, but I thought she was wasted in the show.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
Kate, on one hand, I really don't want to see Doggett/Reyes, but again, they could serve as some kind of a tool to resolve the whole confusion after the X- Files ended.

I know - it's a tricky situation. Everytime I'd watch Reyes I just want to scream "TAKE THAT STUPID SMILE OFF YOUR FACE." But a small part of me LIKED the Doggett role. Sure, he wasn't Mulder, but I thought he brought something new to the show. Unfortunately, that alone wasn't enough to bring fans back. I wouldn't mind seeing Doggett in the new movie, but if that happens, then the whole William thing/super soldiers would have to happen. And that is something I definitely DO NOT want in the next movie. I still wish the series ended after the Season 7 ending - sans Scully saying "I'm pregnant." :bang: Imagine the movie that could have come from that, the search for Mulder, actually WITNESSING Scully upset over Mulder, her thoughts, her worries, etc. AND KRYCEK AND THE LONE GUNMEN WOULD STILL BE ALIVE. Sorry, I had a slight Season 8 anger fit. I still can't belive that happened. But no use crying over spilled milk.

Anyway, if they do decide to create a whole new character it will be like the character Martin Landel (sp?) played in X-Files: Fight the Future. Just a character they can use then dispose of, one that fits. I hope Duchovny pipes up and gives his input into the script - the three or so episodes he wrote (or co-wrote) packed more of a Mulder/Scully dynamic than a handful of Chris Carter's crap. But anyway..

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My ultimate wish for this movie would be something happening around the Season 3 or 4 timeframe, and definitely a monster-of-the-week. DEFINITELY not a conspiracy one.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
My ultimate wish for this movie would be something happening around the Season 3 or 4 timeframe, and definitely a monster-of-the-week. DEFINITELY not a conspiracy one.

I 100% agree with you Chap about the MOTW - Pack on the Mulder/Scully dynamic, throw in some scary stories, and you've got yourself a bonafide (sp?) X-Files episode.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
But a small part of me LIKED the Doggett role. Sure, he wasn't Mulder, but I thought he brought something new to the show. Unfortunately, that alone wasn't enough to bring fans back. I wouldn't mind seeing Doggett in the new movie, QUOTE]

Exactly- I always felt there was one thing missing from the X-files- and that's that "third" character. (X and the Smoking man don't qualify)
Once *********** was killed, there was really no character who would be on Mulder and Scully's side, but not be another main character.

I just the show to be really resolved because the finale (and the entire 8th and 9th season for that matter) was not satisfactory.

Stefan

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
Exactly- I always felt there was one thing missing from the X-files- and that's that "third" character. (X and the Smoking man don't qualify)
Once *********** was killed, there was really no character who would be on Mulder and Scully's side, but not be another main character.

Huh? Are you kidding? Did you watch the show? One word: SKINNER.

He wasn't a main character until the last year before Mulder left. (And, actually, one of my favorites) Mitch Pileggi MUST be included in any X-Files movie. Period. :D

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, Skinner was there but for a long time we didn't really know if he was on Mulder's side. He was a good character- he was a profesional, worked for the government on one side, but he also admired Mulder on the other side.

To me, Deap Throat was the best secondary character, and I always felt that piece of the puzzle was missing once he was killed.

Stefan

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
Yeah, Skinner was there but for a long time we didn't really know if he was on Mulder's side. He was a good character- he was a profesional, worked for the government on one side, but he also admired Mulder on the other side.

To me, Deap Throat was the best secondary character, and I always felt that piece of the puzzle was missing once he was killed.

Stefan

Personally, I thought the evil guys were the best secondary characters, but that's just me. (CSM, Krycek) :D

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I should've said "favorite" instead of "best" since there were many good characters. *********** was my favorite. His behavior, body language and the tone of his voice was just great, and the fact that he knew the very things Mulder suspected or theorized was really cool for me.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Mitch Pileggi MUST be included in any X-Files movie. Period. :D

Chaplin! My friend, my pal!

AMEN!

I loved what Skinner brought the show. One of my ALL-TIME favorite X-Files scenes was in the third season episode "Paper Clip." The stand off between Scully vs Skinner and then Scully/Mulder vs Skinner was one of THE BEST moments in X-Files history. Man that was great.

And who can forget the X/Skinner fight in the elevator. "Unofficial channels" is right! Hoo boy!

But my all-time secondary character is without a doubt, KRYCEK. Whenever he was on the show, you know SOMETHING was going to happen.

And Stefan, I do like ***********, too. Sadly he was only around for a season. But man, what a season finale that was.. yeesh!