The Suns should forfeit Game 5

Spider TX

Reaction score
Come on guys. We can't forfeit this game. Look at it this way. Everything happens for a reason right? Maybe everything we went thru last year without Amare will all come full circle tomorrow. It's not going to be easy, but if the suns get hot, play small. There's no reason we cant outscore the spurs.

very good post! The Warriors sure as hell weren't as talented as the Mavs, or stood a great chance with the size difference, but hit a nunch of big shots and 3's and put my much hated hometown team away.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose it is my hope that we have two guys on the bench who are ready to put on a show in front of what will be a rabid fan base on a huge stage.

It may be naive but hopefully we are paying guys 8-12 for something more than writing ESPN blogs.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
you guys calling yourself fans and saying we've already lost are pathetic..

ErikJoplin

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns have no chance in Game 5. They'll start Thomas/Marion/Bell/Barbosa/Nash and that's it, that's the whole team, for 48 minutes. Jones and Banks will get a little time but will be useless. Through hustle and determination, the Suns might keep the game close for two or even three quarters, but there's no way they can sustain the energy they need to in order to be competitive for the whole game.

But the worst part is, they will wear themselves out trying. That's the hidden cost. They'll leave everything on the floor for Game 5, for as long as they can, and they won't have anything left for Game 6. As we saw last night, they can win in San Antonio, but only if everyone is able to play hard the whole game. (As it turns out, the Suns did not play particularly well last night, but they did play hard.)

The bottom line is that the Suns have to win Game 6, and they have to win Game 7. Now, what gives them the best chance of doing that? Being as rested and as focused as possible.

Game 5 can only harm them. It will wear them out, distract them, expose them to further injury, and give the Spurs even more information about how they play. Nothing good can come out of it.

The best strategy for Game 5, then, is clear: Don't play it. Accept being down 3-2, and get ready for Game 6.

Great post. Good insight. I think the Suns have screwed themselves but good.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I understand the logic behind E's proposal, but there's no way in hell I could support something like that. You may think it's the smart thing to do, but for me being a fan is not about logic, but love man. I'm sure I'll be called naive, kool-aid drinker and any other name they have for people like me, but I quite frankly don't care. There'a very good chance we're gonna get creamed tomorrow night, but that's not gonna stop from from truly believing, as a fan, that this team can stay competitive and somehow find a way to pull it out. Last year was a story book season that didn't quite have the endind we wanted...what better way to top that.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We may lose tomorrow, but I have a feeling the people that are saying the game is over before it ever started are going to be shocked at how close it is. We won't go down w/o a fight...and that's how it should be.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, what Eric is proposing is nothing more than the "rope a dope" strategy in boxing: Save your energy for the later rounds while holding your gloves up and letting your opponent wear themselves out. They take all their best shots and their energy is gone while you're comparatively fresh to take your own shots in Rounds 8 - 15.

Like I said, though ... the Suns would never do it because the networks would sue to make sure they could still collect their advertising dollars.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
You don't forfeit. It's not like the Spurs are going to rest up. Both teams will be trying hard like always, but the Suns are the team that'll have two rested and angry players coming back for game 6. I still believe. Though I would like Pat Burke to start a fight and get some more people suspended. He could go right after Duncan's balls and then he'll probably fight back.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Suns will be extra motivated and will comeout on fire.

suns by 5

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
If Kurt gets into foul trouble, its over quick. But if we can keep it reasonably close, we should employ the Hack-a-Dunc with Burke and Marks' 12 fouls and whoever else has them to give. That wonder-eyed 65% shooting oaf should be forced to hit his FTs

Atleast we will have a fresh Amare and Diaw for game 6. This series is not over.

gosuns

Reaction score
Head butted + kicked in the ankle + Knee in the groin + MVP thrown into the score table = a reward for the spurs ? I can't believe it !! I hope the suns bury them in game 6 GO SUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I say play hard in the first half. if we have a shot, keep playing.

if not, then rest the major players

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i say screw everyone.

play only scrubs. have them make hard fouls and play hard so the spurs have to play their talented players and take some abuse. we won't win the game, but we shouldn't risk our better players in terms of injury or wearing them out.

this would screw the nba royally b/c advertisers couldn't sue b/c the game was played, but who would watch that game after tuning in to see marks, burke, rose, banks, and the polish rifle on the floor? make a mockery of it the way the rule is a mockery of controlling the league.

then come out blazing with rigtheous indignation during game six. i still think we lose that game. but in the process, we pull out anti-tank artillery and make sure that no spurs players survive to move on to the next round and that spurs fans "know what hit 'em."

(just kidding about the tank artillery)

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I think the fans have to show their displeasure with how the league has handled this series. I mean every Spurs possession, "Spurs Suck!" throughout the game. During timeouts and such, chants of "Stern Sucks!" and "********!" have to be continual.

I think anytime one of the Suns end of the bench players fouls a Spurs starter, it needs to be hard and violent.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I think the fans have to show their displeasure with how the league has handled this series. I mean every Spurs possession, "Spurs Suck!" throughout the game. During timeouts and such, chants of "Stern Sucks!" and "********!" have to be continual.

I think anytime one of the Suns end of the bench players fouls a Spurs starter, it needs to be hard and violent.

exactly

Errntknght

Reaction score
I haven't thought out or researched all the ramifications of an actual forfeit but, on a guess, I'd say its not a feasible strategy.

Besides, I do think the Suns have a good chance to win the game. For one thing the refs know the league has screwed the Suns so they will be on our side as long as we don't resort to thuggery. We need to play a clean game to keep them with us as 8 on 5 is a big advantage. Drive to hoop at every opportunity, especially when Duncan is on the floor and force a little body contact - give the refs a chance to hurt the Spurs where they are most vulnerable. Also double him quite often - double him tight so the refs have a reason to call him for a clearing out move. Be ready to exaggerate the contact every time they go by a Duncan screen - he always gives a hip or elbow so call attention to it. (Don't overdo it the way Ginobili does, though - thats too ridiculous to merit a call.) Wiggle inside Tim when a rebound is in the offing and make sure the refs see it if he touches their back. Exaggerate any contact he makes with them while he is moving around the floor. Make the refs job easy!

I know its a chickenshit approach, a page out of San Antonio's book, but, heck, let them sue us for copyright infringment. It might well work as long as our guys don't get carried away and start flopping all over the place. Just pick on Timmie. Heck, it might work if the refs send TD to foul line a lot as he's been known to choke there.

Other than that the guys need to stay calm and focussed on playing basketball.

Refusing to sink to Spurs level as far as dirty play goes will pay benefits for the remainder of the series, too. I know the low road can pay off but against the well practiced Spurs trying to beat them at their game is silly. Once in a while taking the high road is to one's advantage and I believe this is one of those cases.

Last edited:

HardBall

Devil Man
Reaction score
I haven't thought out or researched all the ramifications of an actual forfeit but, on a guess, I'd say its not a feasible strategy.

Besides, I do think the Suns have a good chance to win the game. For one thing the refs know the league has screwed the Suns so they will be on our side as long as we don't resort to thuggery. We need to play a clean game to keep them with us as 8 on 5 is a big advantage. Drive to hoop at every opportunity, especially when Duncan is on the floor and force a little body contact - give the refs a chance to hurt the Spurs where they are most vulnerable. Also double him quite often - double him tight so the refs have a reason to call him for a clearing out move. Be ready to exaggerate the contact every time they go by a Duncan screen - he always gives a hip or elbow so call attention to it. (Don't overdo it the way Ginobili does, though - thats too ridiculous to merit a call.) Wiggle inside Tim when a rebound is in the offing and make sure the refs see it if he touches their back. Exaggerate any contact he makes with them while he is moving around the floor. Make the refs job easy!

I know its a chickenshit approach, a page out of San Antonio's book, but, heck, let them sue us for copyright infringment. It might well work as long as our guys don't get carried away and start flopping all over the place. Just pick on Timmie. Heck, it might work if the refs send TD to foul line a lot as he's been known to choke there.

Other than that the guys need to stay calm and focussed on playing basketball.

:thumbup:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diaw has not had a big impact yet in this series. He will be missed chemistry wise for sure though.

We did the beat the Lakers in the playoffs last year sans Bell.

This team can rise to the occasion, especially with a rocous home crowd behind them. I expect that the crowd will be going nuts. We are playing at home, aren't we?

I say start the following line up:

Nash
Bell
Marion
Thomas
Jr.

Use the following bench players:

Barbosa
Rose
Burke/Banks

---
If Nash and Marion have big games, and everyone else plays with a lot of heart, I say we can pull this off.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
don't forfeit game 5..

play the game like there's no tomorrow..

i hope we can see nash dunking on someone..
=)

cly2tw

Reaction score
I will start Banks as the Parker defender to rough him up, Jalen Rose should be given at least 20 min in the role of Diaw on offense, to be inserted togehter with LB.

Don't play Nash more than 35 min even we hung in there middle of the game, and no more than 40 for Bell either.

mcgophers

Reaction score
NEWBIE ALERT! NOT A TROLL!

As much as I'd love to see the Suns get Duncan and Bowen suspended as an equalizer, we have to play with the hand we're dealt. A rather bs hand, but it's ours. Nash, Marion, and Barbosa have to play the game of their lives if we're going to win. Getting Duncan in foul trouble will be a great help too.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The purpose is to give themselves a chance to win Game 6. Does anyone actually believe that getting killed in Game 5 will do the Suns any good? Game 5 is already over -- focus on the next one.

But as far as the "statement" thing goes, someone will have to do it someday. The fraud that is NBA "fair play" just keeps getting worse, and every coach and player who is too chicken to lodge a real protest just gives the entire charade more legitimacy.

So, are you saying the Suns DON'T have a chance to win if they don't forfeit game 5? I am guessing/hoping no, but your statement reads as such.

As far as a team making a statement against the "fraud" in the NBA, I'm all for it. I just prefer it not be the Suns will they are making a run at the championship.

You are correct but it would be funny as hell and forever talked about.

I don't know if funny is the word I would choose, but I agree it would be talked about forever.

I think there might be some small vindication for the Suns in the fact that most sports media outlets are talking about how stupid these suspensions are. Yes, they are to the letter of the law and all that BS, but it is a totally stupid rule that totally has the potential of deciding this series. It totally sucks that the Suns really did nothing wrong (other than violate a totally bogus rule) because one of the Spurs made a totally flagrant foul that could have potentially caused serious injury.

you guys calling yourself fans and saying we've already lost are pathetic..

Great post. Gotta rally behind this team. As someone said earlier, no quit, no surrender.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So, are you saying the Suns DON'T have a chance to win if they don't forfeit game 5? I am guessing/hoping no, but your statement reads as such.

I got tired of writing the same thing over and over, so I simplified it. I think the Suns have almost no chance of winning Game 6 if they unsuccessfully bust their asses to win Game 5 with a severely depleted roster. These games are fatiguing, and they are even more fatiguing if everyone is playing extra minutes and riding on the adrenalin of self-righteousness.

The Suns' chances in Game 6 would be much better if they didn't play Game 5. If they burn themselves out in Game 5, I think Game 6 is pretty much hopeless.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson