The Dbacks offseason thread

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
"Luis Terrero went 2-for-3 with a double and a stolen base yesterday in DWL round-robin play.
Terrero hit .268/.357/.416 with 10 steals in 149 at-bats during the DWL regular season. It's expected that he'll stick around as a backup for Eric Byrnes in center field next season. Since he's the superior defender of the two, he might end up getting a lot of playing time if Byrnes struggles against right-handers."

Pretty good news.

Oh and I wouldn't mind picking up Wells if it costs us very little. However, if the Red Sox really did ask for that much from LA then I say we pass.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From Rotoworld:

Before the Sunday deadline passed, free agent Jeff Weaver told the Dodgers he would accept a three-year deal with an option for a fourth year based on performance.
He probably still wanted something in the neighborhood of $10 million per year, which was beyond what the Dodgers were thinking. The Los Angeles Times says the the Orioles are expected to pursue Weaver, and the Red Sox, Diamondbacks and Angels might show interest. Jan. 9 - 3:40 am et
Source: Los Angeles Times

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
West Coast pursuit
Dec 24 - The Dodgers have jumped to the front of the David Wells trade line, The Boston Globe reported.
The Red Sox would likely be seeking young arms such as Edwin Jackson, Jonathan Broxton, and Chad Billingsley or third baseman Andy LaRoche for Wells, The Globe reports.

Yikes.. The Dodgers can have him at that rate.

Then again, I'm not exactly what you'd call a David Wells fan. In fact, I still regard him as a first class cornholio for stiffing the Diamondbacks to go back to the Yankees a few years ago.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Padres agreed to terms with LHP Shawn Estes, who had been with the Diamondbacks, on a one-year contract.
Petco Park didn't work miracles on Chan Ho Park and probably won't with Estes, though he might beat his career ERA of 4.71 for the first time since 2001.

Good. It was a toss up to who was worse last year: Estes or Ortiz.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Good. It was a toss up to who was worse last year: Estes or Ortiz.

I can name 33 million reasons why Ortiz was worse. Estes sucked, but at least he was a one-year investment.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Snake said:
I can name 33 million reasons why Ortiz was worse. Estes sucked, but at least he was a one-year investment.

I'm hoping Ortiz has a good start to the year (which is not out of the realm of possibility) and we trade him for a sack of baseballs to a pitching starved team like the Reds or Texas............

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I'm hoping Ortiz has a good start to the year (which is not out of the realm of possibility) and we trade him for a sack of baseballs to a pitching starved team like the Reds or Texas............

The Ortiz signing was awful. Everybody on earth outside the Dbacks front office was blown away by his acquisition.

If it looks like crap, smells like crap and tastes like crap....

it must be Russ Ortiz.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) - Pitcher Jose Lima is negotiating with the Pirates and Diamondbacks, the Dominican righthander said, denying he has signed with the San Diego Padres.

"I never said I had signed with San Diego," Lima said Wednesday, after pitching for the Aguilas in their winter season match against the Leones del Escogido.

"It was a misunderstanding," and he said that he had apologized to the Padres general manager Kevin Towers. The Padres had offered him a minor league contract, but a deal was never struck, Lima said.

"You'll see that I'm going to return to the majors. My arm has still got what it takes," he said.

Lima said he had been offered contracts to pitch in Japan. But that would be his last choice if he couldn't pitch in the U.S, he said.

Lima, 33, went 5-16 in his last season with the Kansas City Royals.

Lord have mercy....

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) - Pitcher Jose Lima is negotiating with the Pirates and Diamondbacks, the Dominican righthander said, denying he has signed with the San Diego Padres.

No, no.. GOD no.

Please sign him San Diego.. Please.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Halsey will be one of a number of pitchers competing for the fifth spot in the Diamondbacks' rotation, the Arizona Republic reports. Claudio Vargas is the current slim favorite to nail down the job, with Halsey, Mike Gosling and Dustin Nippert also in the hunt. Halsey pitched well in midseason last year, but he got tired late and was shut down in September. Halsey was working on developing a curve to go along with his slider late last year; we'll see if that helps him this spring.

Interesting. I had thought that even though he wore down, Halsey would be given a place in the rotation. However, this sounds like #1-4 are set with Webb, Ortiz, Hernandez, Batista and now just need one more starter. Personally, I like Hernandez in the bullpen and moving Halsey and Nippert into the rotation.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
"I am negotiating with the Dbacks," said Lima. "Believe it!"

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Diamondbacks agreed to terms with RHP Luis Vizcaino on a one-year contract.
Vizcaino, who was acquired in the Javier Vazquez deal, earned $1.3 million last season and is probably getting a raise to the $1.8 million-$2 million range. He'll be eligible for free agency after 2007.

Looks pretty good. I expect Vizcaino to be one of our best arms next year.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was at a sports bar and I happened to glance at the big screen and saw Gambo on the ASR and they showed Orlando Hernandez. I know there are rumors that he might be on the way out w/ Cintron. Anyone know for who?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
I was at a sports bar and I happened to glance at the big screen and saw Gambo on the ASR and they showed Orlando Hernandez. I know there are rumors that he might be on the way out w/ Cintron. Anyone know for who?

He didn't say he just said that it was expected that Cintron and Hernandez will be moved prior to Feb 15th

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
He didn't say he just said that it was expected that Cintron and Hernandez will be moved prior to Feb 15th

I have a feeling either the Mets, Boston, or Baltimore are the destinations because all three have been after Lugo. Maybe Tampa Bay if they dealt Lugo. The question is can we get anyone for them that would help us next year?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like the Diamondbacks could be getting another over the hill pitcher. This from Rotoworld:

The Dodgers are no longer involved in David Wells trade talks with the Red Sox and A's. The Diamondbacks, though, are showing mild interest in the left-hander, according to the Boston Globe.
Orlando Hernandez, Alex Cintron and Luis Terrero for Wells? It might make sense if either Cintron or Terrero was good enough to paly regularly for a contender. The Red Sox were considering getting Jay Payton from the A's in a deal that would have sent Wells to the Dodgers and prospects to Oakland. If neither the Dodgers nor the Padres are in the mix, the Red Sox may be out of possibilities. There's been no sign that the Angels are interested, though Wells for Darin Erstad would make some sense for both teams. The A's could consider Wells for themselves in the unlikely event that they trade Barry Zito prior to Opening Day. Jan. 15 - 3:55 am et
Source: Boston Globe

englishdback

Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Looks like the Diamondbacks could be getting another over the hill pitcher. This from Rotoworld:

The Dodgers are no longer involved in David Wells trade talks with the Red Sox and A's. The Diamondbacks, though, are showing mild interest in the left-hander, according to the Boston Globe.

Id actually like this move if nothing too big was given up, it would allow Miguel Batista to stay in the bullpen and set up the big man.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard