The Dbacks offseason thread

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'm all about O'dawg....my question is

Where does Upton go if he sky rockets through the minors like many expect????

(provided he signs of course)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:

Outfield, I'd imagine.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:

Either his contract will just run out, or the more likely scenario of becoming trade bait. Gold glove 2B are always in need. But that's way too far down the road to speculate.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Well, Poop-Splat, sez I. I really liked Glaus. I hope he excels in Toronto. Not his fault the FO imbeciles overpaid him one year off a major injury. Impatient as always.

Been saying for awhile Santos would never make it to our big club, so no loss there. Every prospect other than CQ and CJ that goes makes me breath a teeny bit easier this off-season.

This smells Moo-Radish to me. I loved Miggy and was pissed we let him go, but time marches on, and I would LOVE to see a permanent cessation to all retread trades and signings from this club. I just don't see how Miggy gives us what we need anymore.

This deal better include freeing up Justin Upton's missing $1.5 Million, or I'll be pretty annoyed. :mad:

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
"Eric Byrnes' agent, Michael Sasson, said he has been spoken repeatedly with the Diamondbacks in the past few days.
Gulp. Is it too late to go back to Shawn Green in center field? Byrnes might actually be worse defensively. We'd take our chances with Jeff DaVanon first. He'd be stretched in center field, but at least he'd generally head in the right direction when the ball is hit. Byrnes has his uses, but he'd be hugely miscast as a regular center fielder."

I haven't heard that he is this poor defensively. Anyone else have any insight?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
CHICAGO -- Pitcher Jon Garland agreed to a three-year, $29 million contract Wednesday with the 2005 World Series champion Chicago White Sox.

Garland, who was eligible to become a free agent after the 2006 season, will receive $7 million next year, $10 million in 2007 and $12 million in 2008, the White Sox said in a statement.
The right-hander went 18-10 with a 3.50 ERA and led the American League in shutouts last season. He pitched three complete games and had 115 strikeouts in 32 starts.
Garland, who made the AL All-Star team last season, went 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA in two postseason starts, including a complete-game victory against Los Angeles in Game 3 of the AL Championship Series.
Garland is 64-61 with a 4.42 ERA in 181 career games over six major league seasons, all with the White Sox.
Joe Crede and Rob Mackowiak are the only White Sox players eligible for salary arbitration.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
CHICAGO -- Pitcher Jon Garland agreed to a three-year, $29 million contract Wednesday with the 2005 World Series champion Chicago White Sox.

Garland, who was eligible to become a free agent after the 2006 season, will receive $7 million next year, $10 million in 2007 and $12 million in 2008, the White Sox said in a statement.
The right-hander went 18-10 with a 3.50 ERA and led the American League in shutouts last season. He pitched three complete games and had 115 strikeouts in 32 starts.
Garland, who made the AL All-Star team last season, went 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA in two postseason starts, including a complete-game victory against Los Angeles in Game 3 of the AL Championship Series.
Garland is 64-61 with a 4.42 ERA in 181 career games over six major league seasons, all with the White Sox.
Joe Crede and Rob Mackowiak are the only White Sox players eligible for salary arbitration.

Next Mulder will sign an extension and the A's will trade Zito.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
Next Mulder will sign an extension and the A's will trade Zito.

First off, happy holidays to everyone. I've been away and missed chattin with you all about the Glaus trade.

As for old news, I've read through most the posts and it still seems that some people were dissapointed after the Javy trade (because they thought we could have got either Garland or McCarthy). IMO, the Garland extension is a sign that he was untouchable as the Sox were prob trying to extend him before or during the Javy trade. As for McCarthy, if Byrnes could have got him he would have. There's no logical way Chicago would trade us McCarthy (who's cheap, effective, and young) for Javy. We have to remember that Javy really isn't that good and he will serve up a lot of home runs in Cellular Field. We got a great CF prospect, immediate bullpen help, and one year SP solution in El Duque. I think Byrnes did great :thumbup: .

The Glaus trade I'm still a little skeptical about but it addressed one of our major needs for the '06 offseason- MONEY! It's hard to tell if we could have got a better trade elsewhere but I'm thinking we couldn't. If we could have got Clement or Arroyo, you have to think Byrnes would have done it.

The positives of this trade are:
1) There's 33.5 million of them
2) We didn't have to throw in any money (I'm pretty sure but could be wrong).
3) Our defense got a major boost up middle (plus he's very cheap)
4) We added a decent bat who will only get better with good coaching and more discipline.
5) A decent arm in Batista, whether it's in the pen or the rotation. Plus, he's a great clubhouse guy and will provide great veteran presence.
6) We'll be able to sign Tracy to an extension
7) We can cancel our Upton Fund- WE NOW HAVE MORE MONEY TO SIGN UPTON!!!!
-We can sign 1 or 2 frontline SP's next offseason by the likes of Zito or Schmidt.

Negatives:
1) We lose major power in our lineup coupled with not bringing in a above avg starting pitcher.
2) We had to trade a top-10 prospect in Santos- I'm all for trading him as he has no role in our system anymore but I think we could have used him in another trade to address some of our other needs.

Overall, I don't mind this trade because of the financial reasons but I think we could have done a little better (Clement or Arroyo). There have been some posts saying we could have got Clement and Papylbon or Lester which is absurd. Or saying Glaus has similar trade value to that of Manny or Tejada is borderline insane. Those guys are 1st ballot HOFers and Glaus won't ever sniff striking out less than 100 times while barely batting his weight. Glaus, just like Javy, are not that good and are very expensive. Byrnes did a great job getting teams to take on those contracts (with little money thrown in) while getting decent value in return

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
First off, happy holidays to everyone. I've been away and missed chattin with you all about the Glaus trade.

As for old news, I've read through most the posts and it still seems that some people were dissapointed after the Javy trade (because they thought we could have got either Garland or McCarthy). IMO, the Garland extension is a sign that he was untouchable as the Sox were prob trying to extend him before or during the Javy trade. As for McCarthy, if Byrnes could have got him he would have. There's no logical way Chicago would trade us McCarthy (who's cheap, effective, and young) for Javy. We have to remember that Javy really isn't that good and he will serve up a lot of home runs in Cellular Field. We got a great CF prospect, immediate bullpen help, and one year SP solution in El Duque. I think Byrnes did great :thumbup: .

The Glaus trade I'm still a little skeptical about but it addressed one of our major needs for the '06 offseason- MONEY! It's hard to tell if we could have got a better trade elsewhere but I'm thinking we couldn't. If we could have got Clement or Arroyo, you have to think Byrnes would have done it.

The positives of this trade are:
1) There's 33.5 million of them
3) Our defense got a major boost up middle (plus he's very cheap)
4) We added a decent bat who will only get better with good coaching and more discipline.
5) A decent arm in Batista, whether it's in the pen or the rotation. Plus, he's a great clubhouse guy and will provide great veteran presence.
6) We'll be able to sign Tracy to an extension
7) We can cancel our Upton Fund- WE NOW HAVE MORE MONEY TO SIGN UPTON!!!!
-We can sign 1 or 2 frontline SP's next offseason by the likes of Zito or Schmidt.

Negatives:
1) We lose major power in our lineup coupled with not bringing in a above avg starting pitcher.
2) We had to trade a top-10 prospect in Santos- I'm all for trading him as he has no role in our system anymore but I think we could have used him in another trade to address some of our other needs.

Overall, I don't mind this trade because of the financial reasons but I think we could have done a little better (Clement or Arroyo). There have been some posts saying we could have got Clement and Papylbon or Lester which is absurd. Or saying Glaus has similar trade value to that of Manny or Tejada is borderline insane. Those guys are 1st ballot HOFers and Glaus won't ever sniff striking out less than 100 times while barely batting his weight. Glaus, just like Javy, are not that good and are very expensive. Byrnes did a great job getting teams to take on those contracts (with little money thrown in) while getting decent value in return

I agree with most of your post, but Schmidt's arm problems scare the **** out of me. I'd be really worried if Arizona was the winner of his bidding war. He's got a history of arm problems, from back in his Pittsburgh days (then again, who doesn't when having to play for the Pirates) and seemed to fade last year.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:

We threw in just under $1 million to pay for the difference in taxes for Glaus to play in Canada but thats it.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
We threw in just under $1 million to pay for the difference in taxes for Glaus to play in Canada but thats it.

Not to mention the Jays threw in $325,000 a year so Glaus' wife can run her Horse Stable in Arizona :biglaugh:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

Thanks, I wasn't 100% sure. That makes me feel even better about this trade. Byrnes said he wasn't going to throw in any money in the Javy trade, which he did, so I didn't know what to expect.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Snake said:
Not to mention the Jays threw in $325,000 a year so Glaus' wife can run her Horse Stable in Arizona :biglaugh:

Are you serious???? He couldn't manage to fund her horsey ranch with his $33.5 mill? What a joke- good riddance

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
We signed Eric Byrnes today to a 1 year, 2.2 mill dollar deal pending a physical today. I started a new thread regarding the deal

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the front office getting rid of these high salary players, they better sign Upton or they have a lot of explaining to do. They can't say they don't have the money to sign him.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Snake said:
I agree with most of your post, but Schmidt's arm problems scare the **** out of me. I'd be really worried if Arizona was the winner of his bidding war. He's got a history of arm problems, from back in his Pittsburgh days (then again, who doesn't when having to play for the Pirates) and seemed to fade last year.

I agree. I was just throwing some names out there as examples. I just looked at the list of next years SP FA market and I'm really not all that impressed (although its WAY better than this years market). Garland got extended so he's off the list. I would love to see the D-backs sign Mark Buerhle but you have to figure the Sox will pick up their team option on him. That leaves us with a list of (in no particular order):

1) Barry Zito- I know there are many who are not a fan of him on this board but I think he would be a great addition. Still young, a lefty, and can produce.
2) Mark Mulder- Another quality LH pitcher. IMO, has been dissapointing of late so 2006 is huge for him. He lives in the valley in the off season and plays golf everyday in Scottsdale. May be able to lure him away from NYY, BOS, or St Louis but the price will be very high.
3) Andy Pettitte- Don't see him leaving his hometown of Houston as long as they offer him a decent contract. IMO, he retires a Astro
4) Jose Contreras- No thanks. Old and has not sniffed being a #1 SP until late down the stretch last season.
5) Mark Beurlhe- Sox will pick up their team option on him
6) Jason Schmidt- Arm issues + big price tag= High Risk. If healthy is very dominant
7) Mike Mussina- Team option could be picked up. Don't know if I want him anyways
8) Kerry Wood- No thanks
9) Randy Wolf- Dont know much about him
10) Doug Davis- Would love to see him sign here. Lefty who has very powerful stuff
11) Jason Marquis- Would be another good signing

Overall, I would love to see us sign either Mulder or Zito (considering Beurlhes option is picked up by the Sox and Pettitte stays in Houston) and also one of either the lower priced guys like Davis, Wolf, or Marquis. It's tough to tell how much money we will have to spend and what the market will demand next year but I hope we can get one #1 SP and also another above average pitcher as well. Imagine our 1-3 being Mulder, Webb, Davis. Not bad

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Tony Armas Jr. - S - Nationals
Nationals re-signed RHP Tony Armas Jr. to a one-year, $2.1 million contract.
That's exactly as much as Armas made in 2003 and '04 before he received a raise to $2.26 million last season. As things stand now, Armas would likely compete with Ryan Drese for a rotation spot behind Livan Hernandez, John Patterson, Brian Lawrence and Ramon Ortiz. There's not much reason to believe he'll be healthier than he was last year, but he could be an adequate fifth starter.

Really wish we could have signed him. Even at $2.1 million this guy would be a low-risk signing. Guess the front office is going into the season with the staff they already have. Then again, maybe we would just be throwing money away with the possibility that he won't be healthy.

Jose Valverde - R - Diamondbacks
Jose Valverde struck out one in a perfect ninth yesterday to earn a save in DWL round-robin play.
Valverde, who is expected to be the Diamondbacks' closer, gave up five runs -- one earned -- in 3 1/3 innings during the DWL regular season.

Good showing by Valverde this winter, he appears to be the rock in the bull-pen for us.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
We lost Estes and Vazquez while adding El Duque and Batista and Nippert will get a shot at the rotation next year as well. We have enough starting pitchers on the roster right now, we just need a couple of them to step up.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
We lost Estes and Vazquez while adding El Duque and Batista and Nippert will get a shot at the rotation next year as well. We have enough starting pitchers on the roster right now, we just need a couple of them to step up.

True in a sense. But you can never have enough good starting pitching. Its impossible. Depth that either Ortiz or even better Armas would have brung in on a one year deal for such little money was likely to be money well spent. Byrnes, or more likely Moorad and Kendrick, dropped the ball here. No way at least one of the three pitchers doesnt dissapoint of our new acquisitions. And i'm willing to bet one of those two Washington pitchers wins 14+ games next year in a surprising rebound season.

In fact, if the Mets cant jell, I really like that Nationals team now. Offense in Guillen, Soriano, Vidro, Nick Johnson and the young star Ryan Zimmerman. Starting depth up front and Cordero at the back of the bullpen. And for my money, Frank Robinson is the most underatted coach of ALL TIME. Go look at his winning percentage over his career. And look what he has done with a no payroll team like Montreal/Washington...The league owns the team for gods sakes...!

Ok back to the Dbacks. Two things i need to see this upcoming season. Upton signed sealed and delivered and i want to see some PT and very positive signs from my boy CoJack.....I obviously heard alot about him but never saw play in his minor league career. Once he finally got up here, i will admit, i was a little anxious about his play. Im hoping this was the product of Melvin's mismanaging but I like to see these young hyped guys bust out of the gate like Pujols and carry it on for the rest of their career. One can hope, right? I will be VERY dissapointed if one of these young guys (Drew, Quentin, Jackson, Young, or Upton) doesn't turn into a flat out perennial all-star.

:shrug: What do you all think? If one guy will just flat out break out and be a Top 10 like player out of those guys, who do you like?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I have to go with Upton just because he's such an athletic freak. The others should be awesome, but Upton has Griffey Jr. (in his first 10 years) written all over him. Sign the guy, please

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Out of the Boston Globe.....

The Sox also continue to seek a new home for David Wells, who like Ramírez has asked out of Boston. Sox president and CEO Larry Lucchino, while home for Christmas in San Diego, met with Padres GM Kevin Towers. But even after that meeting nothing was imminent between the clubs, as the Sox continue to canvass other options on the West Coast. Los Angeles and San Diego still appear to be the likeliest landing spots, though there were indications the last couple of days that Arizona, having cleared Troy Glaus's contract off the books, might pursue Wells

Huh?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Out of the Boston Globe.....

The Sox also continue to seek a new home for David Wells, who like Ramírez has asked out of Boston. Sox president and CEO Larry Lucchino, while home for Christmas in San Diego, met with Padres GM Kevin Towers. But even after that meeting nothing was imminent between the clubs, as the Sox continue to canvass other options on the West Coast. Los Angeles and San Diego still appear to be the likeliest landing spots, though there were indications the last couple of days that Arizona, having cleared Troy Glaus's contract off the books, might pursue Wells

Huh?

Wells is a disgrace.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
West Coast pursuit
Dec 24 - The Dodgers have jumped to the front of the David Wells trade line, The Boston Globe reported.
The Red Sox would likely be seeking young arms such as Edwin Jackson, Jonathan Broxton, and Chad Billingsley or third baseman Andy LaRoche for Wells, The Globe reports.
There's also a chance the Sox could ask for bullpen helps such as Yhency Brazoban or Duaner Sanchez, according to the paper. The Padres' latest offer for Wells revolved around center fielder Dave Roberts and right-handed pitcher Woody Williams, The Globe reports. The Red Sox are said to have little interest in Williams.

If they want that much, Byrnes should not even consider it. I was thinking Boston would just try to clear his contract and not demand much in return. Hopefully Byrnes doesn't bite. I hate that pear shaped loser

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You'd also have to talk him out of his new career.

You must be registered for see images