Suns @ Timberwolves game thread 12-16-17

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of the moment, the Suns are sitting in the 4th spot if the NBA Draft were held today. Things do not look to get better when they visit the Timberwolves tonight in a game scheduled to start at 6 p.m. Arizona time. The Suns record is 9-21 and the Wolves record is 17-12.

The game is scheduled to be televised on FSAZ.

Here is more from a Scott Bordow at azcentral.

Update: The Suns have lost five straight and are 0-4 without Devin Booker, who will be sidelined throughout this three-game road trip that winds through Minneapolis, Dallas and Los Angeles. The Timberwolves are 17-12 and have won three of their past four games. Jimmy Butler has scored more than 30 points in three of Minnesota’s past six games. He forms a terrific outside-inside combination with center Karl-Anthony Towns, who is averaging 20.4 points and 11.8 rebounds per game. Phoenix and Minnesota have split their two games this season.

Also there is an injury update.

Injury update
Triano said he doesn’t anticipate Devin Booker (strained left adductor muscle) or Davon Reed (offseason knee surgery) to start practicing on Phoenix’s three-game road trip. But the Suns are hopeful Booker will be able to play by late December and that Reed will return around Jan. 1.

I understand the Suns hope Alan Williams returns in March.

Scott Bordow, azcentral sports Published 4:40 p.m. MT Dec. 15, 2017

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...n-chandler-devin-booker-jay-triano/956874001/

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After all the bellyaching that the team is ruining their draft slot, we currently sit a half game out of having the 2nd worst record, and the teams "behind" us are gaining fast.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After all the bellyaching that the team is ruining their draft slot, we currently sit a half game out of having the 2nd worst record, and the teams "behind" us are gaining fast.

:lol:

Dallas looked like they were running away with it...wow things changed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad to know that Reed should be with the team January 1st. I think the last bit of info about him returning or rather debuting was said to be in February so early January sounds promising. I don't see him cutting into the minutes of Daniels unless he's a really capable perimeter defender who can also hit his 3's right away. Daniels has been good while Booker has been out, showing that he's more than an Eddie House or Gerald Green type of player that should only see minutes if he hits his first couple of shots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to know that Reed should be with the team January 1st. I think the last bit of info about him returning or rather debuting was said to be in February so early January sounds promising. I don't see him cutting into the minutes of Daniels unless he's a really capable perimeter defender who can also hit his 3's right away. Daniels has been good while Booker has been out, showing that he's more than an Eddie House or Gerald Green type of player that should only see minutes if he hits his first couple of shots.

It's good to know some players are coming back like Reed and Williams. It's not going to help the Suns this season but it could pay dividends for next season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least, during this losing streak, there have been no blow outs. These young guys have been in every game into the last few minutes.

Still would like to see Jackson, Chriss, or Bender step up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=4afd0994aef64e86b457b284ad19f26c&action=view
Reed has a 7ft wing span he should be getting J.Jacksons minutes but we all know that will never happen.

Having a 7 foot wing span doesn't mean he should be gifted 25+ minutes a game when he starts playing. He'll need to earn time in practice, which I'm sure he will given what he showed in the SL. Players who focus and play hard defense usually get playing time regardless of age or experience. Jackson plays hard defensively also but he's just not a SG and playing him there isn't helping his development.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'd wager that Reed would contribute more than Jackson. Also, Peters would contribute more than both Chriss and Bender.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd wager that Reed would contribute more than Jackson. Also, Peters would contribute more than both Chriss and Bender.

I hope we get the opportunity to see. :wink2:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Wolves uniforms look like florescent green in color.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Contribute to what exactly? This is a lost season. I'm not pro-tanking but how much would he help? I highly doubt he'd turn losses into wins. It's about development for the future and if Peters, or Reed, fill a role for the Suns in the future then they should get some time but that depends on what role they're projected to have as well as whose minutes you'd be giving them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Wolves are treating the Suns like a G-League team at the moment getting to the glass and collecting turnovers. The Suns willingly oblige.

Suns trail 15-6.

They have 5 turnovers already.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyler Ulis is just not good. He does not take care of the ball.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daniels and Canaan are now in the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyler Ulis is just not good. He does not take care of the ball.

It's interesting James did not come into the game. Maybe they want to give Canaan a look.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler can't get off the ground, he couldn't jump over a phone book at this point in his career.

I like what Canaan has shown briefly though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really liked how Canaan played that quarter. It'll take some time for everyone used to playing with a PG who is looking to distribute like he has but he seems to be a capable scorer as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler can't get off the ground, he couldn't jump over a phone book at this point in his career.

I like what Canaan has shown briefly though.

Canaan is playing well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ulis had 4 turnovers in that quarter, which is just ridiculous. I saw 2 of them, I started watching a little late, and while 1 was his fault the other was partially to blame on everyone staying stationary on offense, you need to move without the ball and Chandler and Chriss are awful at that.

Len later in the first shouldn't have been hanging around the 3 point line like he was. He can't shoot from there and he doesn't shoot from there. If he's not setting a pick he doesn't need to stay stationary around the 3 point line. No excuse for that.